Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for Defenders I sometimes buy them just from the pictures and the story of the owner. Often this goes without any problem, most of the time there are minor issues the owner didn’t know or didn’t tell me and sometime the seller really screws me.

Recently I bought a nice 1987 Land Rover 90 Turbo Diesel…..I should have known better with these engines………

The owner knew a lot about Land Rovers and I was guaranteed this engine was good. Yes, right……., No, not !

So, who is interested in a nice 90 with a “not so good engine” ?

The good:

• Nice frame, welding done on rear cross member, frame all solid, some minor surface rust. (see pictures)
  • Bulkhead good, I think some repair has been done under the windscreen, looks solid though
  • Door frames repaired.
  • Body nice and straight.
  • Interior nice, no back seats
  • Nice wheels with tires (for import I will put a set of original steel wheels on it and the aluminum ones in the back of the car)
  • Foot wells solid, some repair done in the past
  • Power steering
  • Transmission and driver train, really good. Nice and smooth shifting.
The bad:

• Engine has too much crank case pressure. Runs and starts fine, you can drive it without a problem but if you pull the dip stick the oil spits out. The air cleaner also gets clogged by the oil.
  • Car has been repainted with a very little overspray here and there. ALso the paint is not 100% glossy.
  • Little dent in the hood
  • speedo meter not working
  • minor oil leak from transfer case.

Really too bad about the engine. For the rest this is a nice Defender, not perfect but so much better then average. Really nice truck to drive, sSteering, transmission brakes and so are all very good.

I am offering this very cheap as I don't have the time for any engine swap, I just want it gone.

Price $ 6,750

Car is in The Netherlands and price includes delivery to the port of Amsterdam.

I have really good experience with Uncle Doug for import and transport. Please contact him.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
PM sent.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
what's the skinny on the fuel tank filler location?? I thought all D's had a rear fuel tank? This one seems to be located under the seat like a Series?

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
But this is a 1987, hardly early?

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what's the skinny on the fuel tank filler location?? I thought all D's had a rear fuel tank? This one seems to be located under the seat like a Series?

Except USA models, everything pre TD5 (1998) is under seat fuel tank.

A lot of people interested, I will call you all in order of response.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you checking the dipstick while the motor is running? Mine is a NA and it spits oil out the same way if you pull the dipstick while its running -- my understanding is that's normal (ie just don't check it unless the motor is off). Also, oil in the air cleaner isn't 'good' but its common enough. GLWTS

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
What's special with the roof?

For dutch tax regulations , landrovers can be registered as a commercial truck if it only has front seats and the roofpanel above the rear wheel has to be 25 cm higher than above the front door, therefor a fibreglass roof extension has to be added. Annual road tax for a std diesel defender is a whopping $ 2500 per year, but if the truck is registered as a commercial truck to the rules as described above, then the annual road tax is less than $ 400 per year.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2015 06:14 PM ------

Does it have an oil bath air filter? If so oil in the air filter is a good thing.

No it has no oil bath filter ....

·
Premium Member
13,822 Posts
Are you checking the dipstick while the motor is running? Mine is a NA and it spits oil out the same way if you pull the dipstick while its running -- my understanding is that's normal (ie just don't check it unless the motor is off). Also, oil in the air cleaner isn't 'good' but its common enough. GLWTS
It is not normal. Its a sign of combustion chamber pressure getting past the rings.

Thanks for the plug Johan. Am told the 130 will need to be a runner so take the time to make it so.

·
Premium Member
7,363 Posts
Assuming folks already passed this along to Pedro.
Adam sent me a text.

Johan and I spoke on the phone today about it.

I don't have time for a project.

If you have the time and the room... buying that 200tdi in Richmond for $4k this is very nice deal.

Lovely. Shipping and a 200tdi when she lands and someone has a nice LHD 90.
What he said... :)

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

if you mean "normal" in a way that a lot of Land Rover diesel engine have it, yes, that might be true. It is not "normal" though in the sense that it is a good engine. Too much leak between rings and cylinders. This is really a sign of at least the beginning of the end of a diesel engine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts