Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would be interested in some thoughts from the collective

when I bought the d90 (rhd) ,,,, it smoked on start up, and some when driving, and going downhill with engine braking it looked like i might be spraying for bugs.. so

did some checking
  • compression on all cylinders within spec
  • leak down test results within spec

• did the valve seals,
  • check the valve adjustments

It was a big improvement, but it still smokes on start up ... but not always ( but more often than not )

• I don't know ( yes i have looked and had others look ) if its fuel or oil ?
  • is it possible that I should look at doing the valve seals again?
  • is to possible that I should look at changing the injectors out ?

What does the collective think ?

oh...not really interested in doing a engine swap ... just want to drive 62mph ( it has overdrive ) all day long .. but the smoke is annoying

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
Smoke at startup is normal as that is how injection pumps work.

Smoke on overrun is usually retarded timing and sometimes a bad injector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple more questions

Can someone decode this serial number ? When I do it seems that it should have been a petrol engine installed

What engine is this ? I’m thinking it might be a non turbo that has a turbo fitted ?

Anyone know what the part number for this injector is ?
Are Britpart injectors worth buying ?

Again .. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
It could have been originally a petrol motor that's been swapped.. chassis mounts are the same.

That's a 19J TD motor.

depending on where their manufactured britpart injectors could be good or could be bad.. most likely your injectors don't need to be replaced just cleaned and serviced by a legit injector shop.

Part numbers are available in the exploded view diagram or on any part supplier website.

Don't throw parts at it to fix a white smoke problem. Just drive it

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I've seen the diaphragm on the vacuum part of the IP have a small crack in it and thus lets a little bit of fuel into the intake resulting in your exact symptoms. It will only get worse with time. Just drive it until all the mosquitos are dead and then fix it.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
My 200TDI left huge plumes of smoke when I first got it. It mainly was when the engine was cold and I was going down hill and letting off of the accelerator. Video here.

I took it to a reputable (?) local shop who said "you need a head gasket" and gave me some crazy price ($2900?) I did some internet research and found out it could be the timing. I adjusted it (and put in a new timing belt) and now I have no smoke. Maybe your timing is off?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts