Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

Noticed the clutch pedal was getting soft on a short drive today, before I could get home it went all the way to the floor and can't get it into any gear. Enter the flatbed to a local shop.

Assuming the master and/or slave have gone out, but no obvious leaks - no fluid apparent under the truck or in engine bay or footwell. We check the fluids often, just in case, so this one slipped by us.

Still reading the info on the site and keep everyone posted on the repair progress.

The upside, the tow driver loved the truck and was especially careful not to damage it.

Looking at the replacement options for a fix better than the OEM equipment.

Wish us luck!

·
Super Moderator
14,153 Posts
Probably punched through the throwout fork. If that is the case get a reinforced one and replace everything while it is apart.

Reactions: Mybluett

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I had that on my ‘84. Was the slave.

·
Premium Member
11,493 Posts
What engine? What transmission?
Could be time for a Series Defender Dorman master conversion.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I have one truck that has done that occasionally due to dirty/binding clutch box pivot. Wife and I are both skilled in pulling pedal off floor with our foot!

But as Flyfish said, most likely MC or slave.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine was the master cylinder, but I was worried the clutch fork was punched through. I was able to remove the slave and get a flexible camera in there to confirm the fork was still intact.

When I swap the transmission for the R380 I got the Britannica clutch bushing kit. I'm glad I did, because my existing fork did have some cracking on it. It would have been just a matter of time before the clutch fork did get punctured.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What engine? What transmission?
Could be time for a Series Defender Dorman master conversion.
The engine is a 200 donor from a 91 Disco. It's a 5 speed manual, reverse way up and off to the left in the shift pattern.

I'm annoyed sure but given the truck is nearly 40 years old, I'm not surprised that I'm having to replace parts as I get to know it. Better now than when we are in the woods in Vermont!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
as Robert mentioned..good idea to also replace the MC with this from SDO while you're at it. It'll last lot longer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The plastic piece that holds the rod from the slave cylinder gets brittle over time and fails. Second the notion that a $40 flex camera to check where the plunger goes in to the clutch fork will tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out was weak point in the "U" shaped hard line coming from the slave. Very. Slow. Drip. As in, it took more than a year of driving to finally lose all fluid. Taking advice of the group and ordering upgraded Dorman master from Series-Defender Outfitters and the remaining bits from Rovers North. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts