Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 724 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just imported this truck in April and finally got it registered in Florida. I contacted Safari Rover and I got a new galvanized frame coming in October, so I started tearing it down. Ok so I am at the point of no return. Broke the T post in half so it's all or nothing now. I am quickly learning to appreciate my disc grinder. Seems like I have to grind or cut off every single bolt. There was just too much rust. Some before pics:

Follow-up Post:

Some more pics. Front winch bumper off. Had to use an engine hoist. That thing weighs a ton. Took 2 people to safely remove the roof. Everything else I did myself.

Follow-up Post:

Rear floor and T post off.

Follow-up Post:

Rear tub off. Did it myself but again with the help of the engine hoist.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
FYI that bumper is for a capstan winch. If someone just had the winch, maybe they could be reunited.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you're right Ron. I have seen that bumper with a capstan winch. Mine is fitted to a Warn winch. Nicely done too because everything is capped/welded and it seems to fit perfectly. Like it was made for the Warn.

So anyone want a 110 chassis? I will most likely cut it up and throw it away unless someone wants it. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My main objective is to just get a new frame under her. I've seen some really nice projects here but I don't have the time or money to go too crazy. I just want a solid foundation. Not too worried about the outside/body. I like my trucks with a few battle-scars, it took years to get that way and it adds a little personality. She's not going to be a trophy truck. Some more progress today.

Follow-up Post:

Can someone with an experienced eye tell me if she's been lifted? I can't tell and there are no markings on the springs. Thanks

Follow-up Post:

Hey George,

Been reading your rebuild too. Very nice work. My next step is to remove the wings and front grill. Hope it's easier than a Series III truck. Any pointers?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Thanks...I also agree with leaving the battle scars thought...still debating on painting or leaving it....I just wanted to pull it apart, stop the rust and fix what needed fixing and drive it knowing that I had a solid truck...as to pulling the wings, its just unbolting...do a search on removing wings and you'll see a couple of posts that actually count the bolts ...as I recall, there are around 5 thru the wing into the bulkhead which were actually "easy"...then the 3 or 4 up the sides of the radiator support metal...I removed the wing inner liner with the wing...think there were a couple of other braces and at bottom of bulkhead/sill area...definitely remove the fender spats first...just take a pin punch of right diameter and push in on the center of the plastic spat rivet and they will come out easy....your frame and bulkhead look pretty solid...I had some welding I had to do in a couple of spots...footwells were rotted out too...guess it could have been much much worse...

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Only took me 3 hours to get the left wing off. Ended up grinding off 2 bolts. Not too bad. Had to loosen the inner splash guard from the wing to clear the defrost fan and shock towers. George, you must be a genius to remove it as one piece. I can only the nightmare it will be to put it back on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I took the heater assembly off first...I think that probably helped...man, your truck looks really rust free

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh there's rust on the frame. It's just covered in dirt. Once I get the new galvanized frame, the only rust left will be in the footwells. Good thing she came with a bulkhead from a 97 exmod. Too bad I can't use it, the top right pillar was bent in a rollover, and it's a LHD. The previous owner got it just for the footwells. Gotta figure a way to weld it on to the original bulkhead, which is surprisingly rustfree.

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
MUDSUX said:
Oh there's rust on the frame. It's just covered in dirt. Once I get the new galvanized frame, the only rust left will be in the footwells. Good thing she came with a bulkhead from a 97 exmod. Too bad I can't use it, the top right pillar was bent in a rollover, and it's a LHD. The previous owner got it just for the footwells. Gotta figure a way to weld it on to the original bulkhead, which is surprisingly rustfree.
Do not cut up a LHD bulkhead to get the footwells. The pillar on that thing can be fixed and footwell repair panels are cheap. Try rovahfarm or RN or AB for the repair panels.

Can you post a pic of the 1997 bulkhead? I would be interested in it.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I thought about that too. Didn't really want to waste the bulkhead. It's very solid except for the bent pillar. I took it to an autoshop and they said it would be too much work. I'll take some pics later. I should try a different shop but I just got lazy.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
auto body places really don't seem to want to repair much any more...the insurance industry has got them used to replacement and not wanting to deal with rust and fabrication...its become a rare specialty in my opinion...I suggest looking up a local roll bar fabricator if you have one and see if they can straighten the pillar...they're all about bending to specs...

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
97 Exmod bulkhead

So here are some pics of the extra bulkhead that came with my truck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 724 Posts