Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've picked up a 1962 Series 2A 109 Station Wagon diesel 2.25L from the "almost" original owner that bought it in 1966. It's been sitting it at the family farm in Blairsville, Pennsylvania, USA since 1995. Hasn't been started or moved.

The plus side it's unmolested mechanically. All original parts for the most part. It has only 62k original miles. The inside not so much from all the mice and animals living in it. ha ha!!

The bad side is the frame is rusted in the front and rear. The center of the frame isn't too bad. The bulkhead is all rusted out. Lots of rust is an understatement.

Well it'll be a fun build to get her back on the road. It'll be a long road and I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions since it's my first Series truck. Thank you for reading.

Pictures of it fresh off the farm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Other than the incredible amount of rust, it looks pretty good. Very very few LHD diesel 5 doors ever made it here to the USA. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 I've ever run across in my life including mine.
A few notes. These were only in "Station Wagon" trim which means complete deluxe interior, side steps and badges. The key switch is for a petrol truck. Diesel ignition switch was in lower dash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cowboy, Everyone is a Pittsburgh fan!! ha ha!!

Batsea, I agree. When I looked at it. I thought the same thing. TONS of rust but I'll never seen another one around. Welding in new metal is a piece of cake and fun. I'm not afraid of rust. There were 3 other "land rover" guys that looked at before me and they all walked away. I think they saw the rust and ran away!! ha ha!!

There's the main power ignition key on the dash. It powers the indicator lights and dash. Under the dash is another starter switch key and stop engine pull handle. I can't get the start key out. Either it doesn't come out or is it suppose to stay in?!?!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got the old bird home and unloaded. She's now resting in the yard.

Afraid it would roll into the neighbor's yard.

Walk around video

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
preparing for the start up by changing the fuel filters.

cleaned up the fuel pump

When I tried to start it. The engine would fire up and then stall. Pump would loose prime. Crank and crank and crank.... she'd fire up then stop.

So I ended up taking the injection pump to the local diesel pump rebuild shop for a rebuild. I cleaned the injectors myself. I had them check the spray and set the "squirt" pressure. THe shop said the pump was all eaten away on the inside from sitting so long.

Put the pump and injectors in and she purrs like a kitten.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts