Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my 12v (lighter) socket, and want to put a USB socket in as well while I'm at it. So, I'll have both a round 12v socket and a separate hardwired USB socket. I'm thinking of https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PZZ9C3N for the USB socket. They claim over-voltage, over-load, over-heat, and short-circuit protection but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

With these ports being used to power more complex and expensive electronics, is it OK to just go to Amazon or wherever and buy a USB socket like that, and a generic lighter adapter and wire them in? Or, is it smart to get something better/safer? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks,
- Andrew.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
You might as well get one with 2 USB sockets.

Or get a flush mount one that plugs into a 12V outlet. Like this one, from a well respected brand. https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-Anker-PowerDrive-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B07PGT7LSR/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=dual+usb+anker&qid=1576108315&s=electronics&sr=1-7

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Personally, I like Blue Sea https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Charge-Charger/dp/B01BV1MTAA/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bluesea+usb+plug&qid=1576109129&sr=8-1-fkmr1

And definitely prefer the double port.

When it comes to wiring and removing old ****, I prefer to buy the right thing the first time even if more expensive. Wire it once, do it right, and hope you never have to do it again.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The BlueSea idea seems like a good one, thanks. That's the sort of thing I was looking for, likely a step up from what I'd found so far.

I'd seen the double-port version of the product I'd originally posted, but as it has a built-in volt meter, I wanted to be able to shut that off when the vehicle's parked. So I decided that 1 USB port plus switch was a better option.

I could use something like the Anker adapter, but I'd rather put in a dedicated USB socket and a 12v socket vs. two 12v sockets. The USB-A socket can always be replaced later with a USB-C or whatever. Or use a USB-C adapter in the 12v socket at that point.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
The BlueSea idea seems like a good one, thanks. That's the sort of thing I was looking for, likely a step up from what I'd found so far.

I'd seen the double-port version of the product I'd originally posted, but as it has a built-in volt meter, I wanted to be able to shut that off when the vehicle's parked. So I decided that 1 USB port plus switch was a better option.

I could use something like the Anker adapter, but I'd rather put in a dedicated USB socket and a 12v socket vs. two 12v sockets. The USB-A socket can always be replaced later with a USB-C or whatever. Or use a USB-C adapter in the 12v socket at that point.
I generally recommend Blue sea just in terms of a name brand, plenty of cheaper alternatives but smartphones are expensive and I have seen a few crazy things with fast charge these days.

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
Begs the question. How high an amperage can most phones take on a quick charge ? Now there are 3's and 4.8's. Dont know enought enough about lithium batteries. Have been installing 2.0's in customer trucks.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
"Quick Charge" does not use more current. It increases the voltage to charge faster.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
That article is out of date. Modern quick charging system increase the voltage beyond the traditional USB 5 volts in order to provide high charge rates.

If you want to charge quickly on a modern device, you really want to get a USB-C as it is standardized to allow the higher voltages. QC3 does increase voltages with a traditional USB port, but this is outside of the USB standard. Getting a port with a USB-PD designation is the safest bet to ensure proper compatibility with you modern device.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts