Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you read that right. I turned over the keys to my 110 in January of 2019 for a Puma dash and LS swap to a very well known shop in Cincinnati, Ohio. As it stands the build is 99% done and only has two outstanding issues: paint and a recurring problem with RW Engineering's CAN bus. I am tired of being given the run around and will be collecting my car shortly either way.

My question is has anyone run into error messages with the RW Engineering CAN bus and the Puma instrument cluster? The unit was allegedly replaced once already. I see ECD makes their own clusters, anyone know what is required for this set up? I'm wondering if this issue is the real reason behind the extremely long delay or just more bullshit.

I'm looking forward to driving this thing even if I won't know how fast I'm going.

Link to original thread: 429 days to do an LS swap?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
It looks like ECD uses individual gauges with a strip of indicator lights along the bottom for things like high beams, turn signals, check engine light, etc. You could do something like this- Dakota Digital Puma Dash

A Dakota digital cluster. I ran a different style one in my non puma dash and I liked it a lot. They offer a module that connects the gauges to the can bus and it pulls all of the information from the ecu so you don’t have to add any additional sensors other than the original GM ones. And it works well.

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
Im fairly certain that Safarihp pioneered the LS to to Puma Canbus.. It might be worth a call to them.

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
What does that matter ?
Patience is required if you want a full restoration in todays market.

At ECR it sits outside on their lot for 3 years before they touch it... Call SHP/ECD or any other busy shop and if you bring them your donor tomorrow its probably 18 months before they get to it and another year after that before its finished.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
who said they sit inside?
My truck sat in the sun in SD, CA for a year at RW to sort out CAN Bus issue; and I was appreciative.
My LS Swap was a career for a couple guys. Still get gremlins.

·
Super Moderator
14,318 Posts
My truck sat in the sun in SD, CA for a year at RW to sort out CAN Bus issue; and I was appreciative.
My LS Swap was a career for a couple guys. Still get gremlins.
This is why you want someone that done a lot of conversions and you verify with owners that they were on budget an schedule and trouble free.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Patience is required if you want a full restoration in todays market.

At ECR it sits outside on their lot for 3 years before they touch it... Call SHP/ECD or any other busy shop and if you bring them your donor tomorrow its probably 18 months before they get to it and another year after that before its finished.
It’s required to sit outside while it waits it’s turn in a 3 year line? That’s absurd if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts