Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The roof rack, rear locker, and counter top layout are all conceptually planned out.

We have the following equipment for the inside:
AIMS 3000W inverter charger with LED display panel
True Induction 1800 Watt TI-2B Double Burner Counter-Inset Cooktop (boiled water in 4 minutes when tested)
700W Microwave
Elkay BPSFR1215 Gourmet Pacemaker Stainless Steel Sink
360° Rotating Folding Faucet
Webasto Thermal top
Webasto Air top
5 - 12V Computer cooling fans for air circulation inside the cabinet.

Have completed a preliminary layout of the counter top, but still need to design the cabinetry.

The under seat water tank is still at the fabrication shop, but should be out early next week.

Now to clear the space in the shop to install the folding roof, then do drawings of the inter cabinets, and purchase the 250AH battery.
The battery will run the inverter with full load for an hour and can handle the microwave and cooktop being on at the same time.

We have the 145 Amp solar panel (12 Amps @ 12V).
This should charge the battery in about 45 minutes on a sunny day.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Aluminum under seat water tank is all tacked together.
Note the pattern used was a NOS station wagon under seat fuel tank.
Dropping it off to get it welded Monday.
A Webasto Thermal Top will heat the 10.5 gallons to 117 Deg F in less than 10 minutes.
Note the bungs for the thermal switch, 2 sinks, shower, for re-circulation, and the top vent fitting.
There will be a T in the suction side of the re-circulation so the tank can be filled from a jerry can, so you don't have to lift the seat base and lid.

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was going to ask about water and plumbing. I assume no black water tank, but will you have a gray water tank? Shower outside, how about toilet? I watched a very informative review of composting toilets on YouTube that caused me to say...well, Black water tank it is along with the “stinky slinky” and all that goes with it.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I was going to ask about water and plumbing. I assume no black water tank, but will you have a gray water tank? Shower outside, how about toilet? I watched a very informative review of composting toilets on YouTube that caused me to say...well, Black water tank it is along with the “stinky slinky” and all that goes with it.
No black water on-board.
The inside sink will drain into a tank that has a ball valve so you can empty it into a jerry can or water the lawn when you get home.

The outside sink that folds down from inside the spare tire will drain directly into a jerry can.

The outside shower will run off onto the ground.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes.
They do good work.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Finally had some time and money to make some progress.
The Chevy 250 inline 6 is installed with R380 Stumpy and 1.2 LT230.
This fall installed the AC.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wanted modern windows, so decided not to use the early style double sliding windows.
Ordered, and received the tinted glass windows with screens made in USA by Motion Windows in WA.
A retired friend installed them who worked for the local glass company for 35 years doing mostly window installations.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Ephry73

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Why not look into a used Tesla battery? Flat and can fit under the floor.

·
Registered
1989 Land Rover 110 from Italy, 2 door, 2.5L Turbo, LHD
115 Posts
Wanted modern windows, so decided not to use the early style double sliding windows.
Ordered, and received the tinted glass windows with screens made in USA by Motion Windows in WA.
A retired friend installed them who worked for the local glass company for 35 years doing mostly window installations.
Those look awesome- I see you got the ones with screens- Nice!

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I settled on 6 of the S Power AGM Batteries D5100 charged by the RedArc BCDC1250D and solar panels.
Cheaper and recover quickly.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Finally had a little time to work on the new Land Rover roof kit
. The opening in the 110 roof is finally cut-out and sprayed with primer. After a final top coat, we'll install the frame that goes around the opening and fit the top. Then we'll go through the pain of trimming the edges on the fiberglass shell so the top fits the contour of the 110 roof.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
As part of the late 1990s Dormobile manufacturing revival, there were a limited number of factory offered folding dormatic 110 seats.
These had "techno-cloth" upholstery in blue with silly shaped symbols of circles, rectangles, and lines in an ugly mid-blue color. I was fortunate enough to purchase a set of these rare seats in UK that will be shipped over later this summer. These seats will be recovered and fitted to our LHD 110 5 door wagon along with the lifting dormobile roof.
So the 110 Dormobile camper will be built out with a V8 with AC and automatic transmission and offered for sale in the spring of 2022.

Meanwhile our 2 door 110 camper that was originally going to have the Dormobile top will be fitted with the Travco Spacemaker wedge shaped top and custom interior build out using all aluminum interior panels for the counter top.
Rigid-off-road in Australia is making the custom spindle assemblies for the rear carrier to hold the spare, several 12V fridges, and 4 jerry cans. The spindle has proper bearings to support the weight and will NOT attach to the rear door in any way. Am completely finished installing a rear carrier that pivots with the rear door, something I will never do again.
In the future all our wheel carriers will move independently of the rear door.

Instead of installing a sink, we will all a 3/8" marine edge to the interior counter-top and use the Boss, Mr Heater XW-18 portable hot water heater that can be moved for outside cooking and washing and has a portable shower attachment. Instead of a sink, will us a plastic basin. The unit has a built in battery and the Flame King refillable 1 Lb propane tanks will be used. 4 of the 6 auxiliary batteries will be stored under the aluminum counter-top and cabinet along with a 3,000 watt inverter complete with twin 12V cooling fans to remove the heat. We'll use the canvas top galvanized staples placed at the back of the counter-top and under the front edge for webbing strips that will secure all the counter-top accoutrements like the air fryer, induction cook-top, XW-18, and so on. A portion of the aluminum cabinet will have a pull-out storage drawer that will house all the cooking utensils. A bench seat will be opposite the counter top & cabinet that folds out into a full bed. All the bedding can be stowed inside the pop-top. We have a custom built center console complete with both heat and AC that will blow back into the rear. Will post up pictures as the build progresses this winter.

Reactions: blaster11

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update on the top. Finally had it painted. Came out really nice.
Click on the thumbnails to see the pictures.

Reactions: soonermatt

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Fitting the top and will start the process of trimming the edges of the top.
The instructions say to trim the top and then bolt it on.
Who follows instructions anyway.
Am going to fit the hinges and then trim the top so you can mark it, lift it up and trim it and then lay it on the roof until you get the contour correct,
Once material is cut away, it's gone...
Pictures show a trial fit onto a spare flat roof we have. Click to enlarge.

·
Premium Member
11,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The more I think about the approach in post 38, the least I like it.
If you hinge the roof and Dormobile fiberglass top together before the top is trimmed, it doesn't fit because the contour needs to be trimmed to match the curvature of the roof.
So I think the best strategy is to attach the hinges to the roof and then place the top so it lines up with the hinges on the roof (but not bolted to the hinge).
The next step would be to trim the top until it matches the roof contour and then drill the top and attach it to the hinges.
Just received what's called the modern canopy from Dormobile UK, see crummy picture below.
It's made of a water proof breathable material with a long zip open window.

Reactions: soonermatt

·
Registered
99 Posts
So finally was able to do a rough trim on the fiberglass top.
My friend David sent me a dozen pictures of his operational Dormobile top that was a big help.
Taped a black felt tipped marker to a piece of hard foam that was cut to the approximate height.
The first trim took a lot of fiberglass off, see the strip in the picture.
Notice the gap between the fiberglass top and Defender roof is much smaller.
Am getting some gel to seal the edges once all the trimming of the fiberglass is done.
Click to enlarge.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.