Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Dormobile Top Arrives from UK.
Thanks to Mark and Diesel Bob who picked it up from the Freight Terminal and Delivered it to the concrete pad outside the workshop.

Attachments

Reactions: hanzo111

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
You just got the bare fiberglass top ??? Do you have a metal Dormie roof to go with it?

I don't know about a 110 Dormobile roof but the 109 roof has a flange around the roof cutout and stiffening struts on each side of the cutout.

I hope you have the Dormie metal roof to go with it.

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
Cool!

I will probably have enough spares to make a second complete roof minus a few things if you are in need. I bought the one brewie had that is broken for the metal 110 roof precut, but will have the 109 roof. Would sell cheap in exchange for help with the conversion swap.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just got the bare fiberglass top ??? Do you have a metal Dormie roof to go with it?

I don't know about a 110 Dormobile roof but the 109 roof has a flange around the roof cutout and stiffening struts on each side of the cutout.

I hope you have the Dormie metal roof to go with it.
All the parts are included for a complete installation.

------ Follow up post added May 24th, 2016 07:58 PM ------

Cool!

I will probably have enough spares to make a second complete roof minus a few things if you are in need. I bought the one brewie had that is broken for the metal 110 roof precut, but will have the 109 roof. Would sell cheap in exchange for help with the conversion swap.
I guess we could see about a mold on the one I have to provide a complete unit.

·
Premium Member
15,313 Posts
Probably not worth it in that case. Glad you got all that is needed. Looking forward to the build!

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Double sliders for an early look on a 2 door 110.

We are first going to install the Dormobile top on our Iveco powered 110 2 door while building the 5 door on a galvanized frame.
Then eventually transfer the top and all the gear over to the 5 door 110 after it is first prototyped on the 2 door.
For the 2 door, each of the custom roof side panels will be made out of 2 early panels pieced together to fit 2 sliding windows into each panel.
One panel is ready for the bodywork and painting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We need to work out some sort of removable window screens to keep out the bugs.
Open to suggestions...

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
We are first going to install the Dormobile top on our Iveco powered 110 2 door while building the 5 door on a galvanized frame.
Then eventually transfer the top and all the gear over to the 5 door 110 after it is first prototyped on the 2 door.
For the 2 door, each of the custom roof side panels will be made out of 2 early panels pieced together to fit 2 sliding windows into each panel.
One panel is ready for the bodywork and painting.
Hurry up, finish this so we can roll !

·
Super Moderator
13,911 Posts
Reactions: rdavisinva

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Question: How easy/difficult was it to get Dormobile parts from the UK?

I'm eyeballing that day-bed thingie pretty good for my 109. Would be the perfect compromise between camping inside my 109 but keeping it utilitarian.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question: How easy/difficult was it to get Dormobile parts from the UK?

I'm eyeballing that day-bed thingie pretty good for my 109. Would be the perfect compromise between camping inside my 109 but keeping it utilitarian.
It was very easy, but expensive.
Dormobile LTD UK will crate and pack whatever you buy, then you make arrangements with a freight forwarder.
It was painless.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yesterday installed interior lights in the 110.
I despise that 3 position switch that also controls the dash lights.
The interior is now well lit.
Used 3 wire cable.

The cable has red, black, and white.
I ran a fused (+) to all the lights.
The 2 switches have black (-) on one side and white (-) on the other.
The white runs to the (-) on all three interior lights.
If you flip the switch on the side of the front light all the lights turn on and off.
Just inside the rear door there is another switch that also turns all the lights on and off.

The rear lights are LED and the position is adjustable up and down..
Since the 110 was a British Red Cross Ambulance, there were holes cut in the standard hardtop to accommodate the flashing lights.
We installed big LED backup lights to fill the flashing light holes and made the adjustable interior light brackets that mount on the inside of the backup light mounting bolts.
The Big LED backup lights come on when you shift in reverse and illuminate very well.

Since this is all prototype work for the 5 door Dormobile, we didn't use any inside cable wrap, just ran the cable.
The finished product will be very neat in appearance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Making progress on the double sliding window roof sides that will be finished this month.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
What is the purpose of the boxes that the interior rear lights are mounted to?

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is the purpose of the boxes that the interior rear lights are mounted to?
They mount to the backup light mounting bolts from the inside and swivel up and down so the light angle can be adjusted.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts