What Pricing Range Should I Expect? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old June 17th, 2019, 04:23 PM
AVD90
Dave Sears
1995/D90 NAS

Registry
What Pricing Range Should I Expect?

Hey Folks,

I could really use some help. I have a 1995 D90 NAS that I am trying to price for sale. The quick facts;

Red fastback (no full cage, no back seat)
I am the only owner, 51K miles (original speedometer)
All OEM parts with the exception of the shocks and front brush bar (Blue Emu / ARB).
Brand new fuel pump, vent hose and fill hose, no body rust (garaged or covered for most of its life)
In excellent condition; had an easy life in Southern California
Plenty of pictures in the pdf attached or check out the registry under AVD90.

Would like to hold on to it, but my son's college fund is now the priority. Any objective pricing input would be greatly appreciated. And please, I would like an informed opinion, but I know the market well enough to not accept a low ball offer, so if you are interested, please don't waste your time or mine.

Many thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D90 For Sale Flyer.pdf (951.9 KB, 104 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2019, 04:29 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Great looking fastback. Saying it needs nothing currently mechanically, I would think 62-68k. Socal truck, lower miles, clean and one owner says a lot in value to most. You might even be able to get more on BAT.

instagram.com/ridgerovers
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would BAT it for sure. Did you screw something into the soft top cage right behind the doors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2019, 02:22 PM
AVD90
Dave Sears
1995/D90 NAS

Registry
Guys,

Apologies for the late reply, I had know idea how long my message would sit out there. So, first things first, I was thinking in the $65K range, so I feel good about your judgement, and I have been quick to fix any mechanical. In fact, I just replaced the fuel pump, when I really only needed a new electrical connector - the pump wasn't getting a charge. The fuel tank was out, so I had it smoke tested and replaced the pump, vent hose and fill hose. Overkill maybe, but I don't want to be the guys that sells problems to the next guy.

Secondly, I am ignorant when it comes to a lot of this stuff, so what is BAT an acronym for?

Then lastly, that was a great observation on the snaps. The original 94/95 D90s have snaps for the soft top where they connect above the doors (I understand the closure system was modified in later versions). I have a tonneau cover for the bed, and they made a complete enclosure for the cab and bed that, frankly, I thought looked a little goofy and was very cumbersome to install. So, using the same snap enclosure I had a custom wrap made of the same material as the top that would allow me to quickly enclose the cab. I can leave both the soft top you see in the photos and the bed cover in place, and then securely fasten the additional piece onto the rollbar and the bed cover.

The bed cover has a set of fasteners whose name I don't know. Basically, the quick enclosure wraps the space between the back of the cab and the truck bed cover and is secured to the truck bed cover by fasteners that you may see on a boat cover, the kind with the eyelet in the cover that goes over a connecter that twists sideways to close, locking securely in place. It works great, but I honestly rarely use it; our weather is never so cold that a good jacket won't suffice. It comes with the vehicle, but it may need the clear plastic rearview panel to be replaced; it has yellowed a little with age. The modification to the truck was the insert of the snaps you noticed and the eye screws that were sewn in a line across the bed cover.
Old June 18th, 2019, 02:45 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 RRC SWB

Registry
BAT - Bringatrailer.com

Do you have the OEM bumper? The closer to stock the better.

I would think for those miles it would be above the 65K range.
1995 Defender ST #2892 - Sold
1996 Discovery SE7 - Sold

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old June 18th, 2019, 02:55 PM
AVD90
Dave Sears
1995/D90 NAS

Registry
No on the original bumper; honestly, didn't know I would have it this long. It wasn't bought as a collectable. I had an old Bronco that we used to go camping in Baja; this was the ungrade for the future. Then kids and crime across the border squelched the fun...
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:11 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
BAT - Bringatrailer.com

Yeah I would think more than $65k. Seems like Defenders like this are in the 70k+ range at least. The fastback might hurt it a little, as IIRC previous discussions here indicate the full cage is more desirable.

I would go back to stock bumper and brush guard. Call around to different rover shops like Great Basin Rovers. Someone has to have a stock setup for sale.
Old June 18th, 2019, 10:17 PM
ionfender
IO
'95 ST

Registry
Nice looking truck!

I didn't realize there were fastbacks in 95'? I thought it was just a thing in 94'. Learn something on here everyday (almost)!

BAT is a good suggestion. Be prepared to provide a lot of photos (100+) to create the best sale ad/auction. And you will also likely get a lot of questions during the auction. If you're ok with those two attributes of the BAT auction process, you're go to go.
Old June 18th, 2019, 11:28 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I agree BAT will be a good place for you to do very well on your 90. I have bought and sold on there, and as long as you enjoy the forum type discussion during the sale, then you'll do well there. Definitely provide LOTS of photos and a couple of running videos. It's actually a lot of fun. Good luck with the sale of your great 90!
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:20 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post

Yea, an ARB winch bumper without a winch probably doesn't help value. Even so, $65K sounds low for an asking price.
Old June 19th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,97D90ST, L322 SC

Registry
I can only agree with the above statements.

Fastback will hurt value ( a little), because it's without the complete cage.

Original owner +++
Southern Cal 90 with no rust +++
51k miles +++
Remove ARB bumper and put OG on.

I'd also say BAT.
Spend a day, or get a photographer, and get a few hundred(yes, really) pictures of everything.

Get in on a lift and get some underneath shots.

$70-80k on the right day....

Real Rovers have round headlights!

Old June 19th, 2019, 09:48 AM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

BaT now offers a premium service. I think for $300 they send a photog out and there are other bennies. My buddy just did this with his 912 and was happy with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
classifieds, for sale