Newbie, All Over Again - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old June 8th, 2019, 02:49 PM
mmotte

Lightbulb Newbie, All Over Again

Hi,

I am currently Land Rover-less. I live in Rhode Island, USA, which I call "Jersey North" (explanation unnecessary to north-easterners).

In the past, I've owned a 1988 D90, 1990 RRC, 1994 RRC LWB and both a 2006 and 2008 RR HSE.

Born and raised in the UK in rural west Devon and Cornwall; parents always had at least one Series II/III, 88, 90, 110 or RRC. So LR is kinda in the blood, I guess. I'm currently looking for a LHD Defender (90 or 110) and seeking advice about what's available in US.

Prefer not to repeat some hairy V8 experiences, but always open to being re-educated; never owned or driven a diesel; am curious about what the 200tdi/300tdi engines are like to drive and maintain.

Love (almost) everything about Defenders. Eager to re-join the community of owners.

Just can't quell the LR cravings. Spent a two-year interlude with 2001 Toyota 4Runner (Series III) and 2010 Land Cruiser, and now have a new 2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD. All were/are competent machines, but there's no "joy" there. Blaaaahhhh.

Every LR/RR I have owned I would park and look back at over my shoulder--usually two or three times--as I walked to the office, store, gym or wherever. I just grew attached to all of them. Treated them like members of the family. OK, yes, I even spoke to them. Words of encouragement, patting the dash, begging them not to "fail to proceed," thanking them when I got through a sticky patch and arrived home with both truck and human still breathing.

At The Defender Source, I hope to learn about the current state of the Defender market in the US and gain some technical knowledge about members' buying and ownership experiences.

I'm really pleased to have found this site. Time to whet the appetite, scratch the itch, bite the bullet, tickle the fancy, etc... but definitely not jump the shark.

Mark
Cranston, RI
USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2019, 03:02 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
Well said.
A well maintained 200/300 with proper gearing shouldn't disappoint. My 200tdi has a VGT upgrade and has made mine a joy (to me) to drive. It is comparable to a 4.0 v8 in the discovery I used to drive. I suppose you will have to pay more for a defender of similar condition that you are used to, or if you are mechanically inclined you can build your own. Either way it can be expensive. Guessing you know that if you are here. If you have overseas contacts, that may be your best bet on getting the most bang for your buck. If money is not of concern, there are lots of very nice specimens that come up for sale in the Vehicles for sale section of this forum.
Old June 8th, 2019, 03:21 PM
mmotte

Contacts in UK

A few friends and village locals (mostly farmers) who have Defenders in SW England all own RHD vehicles, of course. Is a RHD-to-LHD conversion practical or even wise? I'm certainly not going to drive a RHD truck surrounded by clueless RI and Mass. drivers. Or should I have my brother hunt for a good LHD one in France, Portugal or Spain? (In fact, I think I remember from years ago, that LR had a plant in Spain, no? LRs assembled there from kits exported from UK to a Spanish company?) Also, if I were to import one, would I be able to register it in USA? Sounds a bit ambitious to me. My brother would enjoy the mission, but I'm not sure I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2019, 03:31 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
Mine is rhd. 25 years or older, completely unmodified is a good candidate for import.
Old June 10th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Britishracingrig
Sam
Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmotte View Post
A few friends and village locals (mostly farmers) who have Defenders in SW England all own RHD vehicles, of course. Is a RHD-to-LHD conversion practical or even wise? I'm certainly not going to drive a RHD truck surrounded by clueless RI and Mass. drivers. Or should I have my brother hunt for a good LHD one in France, Portugal or Spain? (In fact, I think I remember from years ago, that LR had a plant in Spain, no? LRs assembled there from kits exported from UK to a Spanish company?) Also, if I were to import one, would I be able to register it in USA? Sounds a bit ambitious to me. My brother would enjoy the mission, but I'm not sure I would.

Yes, you can definitely import one thats at least 25 years or older to fit into vintage/historic vehicle category (21 in some states) and don't pay huge taxes (there is some fee though). I researched an import option too, but for now I'm going to try to find one locally, because they do show up in classified here and there.
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Pragueprado
Clive
1995 ROW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishracingrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmotte View Post

Yes, you can definitely import one thats at least 25 years or older to fit into vintage/historic vehicle category (21 in some states) and don't pay huge taxes (there is some fee though). I researched an import option too, but for now I'm going to try to find one locally, because they do show up in classified here and there.
25 years is a federal thing, not a state thing. So there are no US states into which you can import a 21 year old car. Perhaps you’ve confused the EPA (emissions) regulation of 21 years with the NHTSA (safety) rule of 25 years.
Old June 10th, 2019, 09:10 AM
mmotte

Thanks

Thank you for that clarification. Seems to me I'm better off trying to find a good US-based, LHD Defender.
Old June 25th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Britishracingrig
Sam
Looking to buy

My mistake. Yes, you're correct on the 25 years old, I am new to this whole import thing too.
Old June 25th, 2019, 12:02 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Hello Mark. I lived in Holsworthy for some years. Hope you have found your LR by now?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.
I voted to leave the EU, not a deal.
JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 2hundie 5 speed
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
94 RRC County swb

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
biggest pitfalls?, enough japanese blaahhh, limey lusts for legend, new member, seeking guidance, what should i buy?