New guy, potential Defender owner :) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old May 21st, 2019, 07:36 AM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

New guy, potential Defender owner :)

Hi all,

Here we go, another newbie. I've never struggled with the decision to purchase a vehicle like I am now, so figured I should seek some expert advice/opinions. I don't have experience with Defenders, but have always had the utmost respect for them...they are badass after all. I'm currently overseas and have been keeping my eyes out for a solid specimen, which I may have found. Why a Defender now? As many are, I'm reverting back to analog in many ways, and love the idea of driving something that looks/drives/feels like a tank. About accurate?

I have the opportunity to buy a 1987 D90 (ROW) for $25K (overseas market). It's been recently restored/revived inside, outside (including new paint), and mechanically, to mostly stock condition. It has 235K KM (146K mi). It starts up great, good gear box/steering, etc. I'm NOT expecting a perfect vehicle - I know it's a 30+ yr Land Rover. My intent is to buy, enjoy, and upgrade the truck for as long as it will let me. But I also want the option of selling without any issues/loss.

My brother tells me to "Stay away, buy a Toyota LC!" But there's something about these Defenders that goes beyond reliability. Anyway, any red flags in the price/pictures? I've done some price comps (BAT, autotrader, eBay) and there's just too much variance in the market and my lack of experience to know what looks about right. Many thanks for your advice/patience. Look forward to contributing to this forum if I become a legit, Defender-owning member.

Cheers,
Andy

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front left.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	419026

Name:	Left.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	419028

Name:	Back.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	419030

Name:	Interior Back benches.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	419032

Name:	Under rear right axle and sway.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	419034

Name:	Under rear transfer and floor.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	419036

Name:	Under rear left axle.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	419038
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2019, 07:52 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have the right attitude but don't make any rush decisions before you do some more research and if possible drive one...most on the forum will agree.

As for the truck in your pics...it looks pretty spiffy but IMO it's a bit pricey for an ROW truck. Most likely has a 12j n/a diesel or a 19j TD I'm guessing. You would be much better off with an early 90's truck w/ the 200TDI.

Also worth mentioning that importing a truck is not something to go alone. Uncle Douglas, River Mike and Johan on this forum have a wealth of knowledge not to mention very good trucks available.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:37 AM
Jonesy
Craig
1974 Series III "Heavy"Lightweight

Registry
Well - on first look it seems nice enough...but buyer beware....there is PLENTY of black spray paint underneath it. I wonder what it is hiding?
Look - mechanically they are fairly simple and can be replaced relatively cheap if you can turn a wrench and follow directions. Where they get EXPENSIVE and really bothersome is in the rust equation...CHASSIS/CROSS MEMBERS and BODY/BULKHEAD/DOORS - if it is a "rust free" example then you can be confident that you will be upgrading things anyway if it is an older diesel or gas variant...
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2019, 08:38 AM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

Thanks for the reply. Yes, engine is a TD (2.5 I believe). I was able to drive a similar one recently, so have an idea how they shift and handle.

Thanks for the tips/contacts!

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2019 07:41 AM ------

Jonesy, thanks. That's why I asked for many pictures of the chassis. Seller's explanation for the black undercoating is that they blasted off the surface rust and then treated it. Appreciate it, cheers.
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:08 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Is it 25K delivered to your door and fully cleared? Otherwise (and even then) I wouldn't pay anything close to 25K.
This looks like a fresh respray on the outside only, done over dents, plastic, seals, etc., etc. So it was done in a hurry and seller didn't even care enough to install matching rear turn signals. So, my first impression would be a lipstick on a pig for a quick flip.

2.5TD (19J) is an older Diesel Turbo which has a reputation of failing. You can, of course, get a spare one (these do come up for sale or for free on this forum), but, as stated, you should spend this kinda money on a 200TDI or a 300TDI instead.

PS: Nice old Vicenza license plate, though.
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:27 AM
Billy
Mark Egner
1997 NAS Defender 90 ST

Lots of good information on YouTube.

Take your time, read and watch everything you can find. Another one will always come along. It feels like the market is softening a bit for everything but a 1997 NAS is good condition, especially imports. Be very careful whom you trust, not everyone around here is honorable. I've been consistently surprised at people's willingness to mislead on vehicles they're selling. Even people with seemingly no need to make a few extra bucks.
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:02 AM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

Vedrover, thanks for the note...good things to consider. And yes truck is currently sitting in N. Italy. What you say about 200/300TDI backs up what I've been seeing... Cheers.

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2019 09:05 AM ------

Billy, good stuff - thanks. Thanks for the YouTube links!
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:24 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafandy View Post
Vedrover, thanks for the note...good things to consider. And yes truck is currently sitting in N. Italy. What you say about 200/300TDI backs up what I've been seeing... Cheers.

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2019 09:05 AM ------

Billy, good stuff - thanks. Thanks for the YouTube links!
No worries. Plenty of units to chose from in Italy.
Just go there for a vacation and find one yourself (after YouTube education, picking a brain of someone who already has one, and planning on a Pre-Purchase Inspection in Italy).
Go for an unmodified (original engine and transmission, no lift kit, nothing) 1994 (check the build date, customs will go with an actual day/month/year, not just the model year, your unit's build date must precede your drafting your importation paperwork, do not load it on a ship before its 25 years plus at least 1 day old, more to be safe) or even 1993 to b safe and steer clear of CKDs unless you can prove their first registration was more than 25 years ago.
Italian paperwork typically has a date (at least a year) of vehicle's first registration, but a British Motor Heritage certificate is best for an exact date and config):
https://auto.trovit.it/index.php/cod...year_max.1994/
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM
Pragueprado
Clive
1995 ROW 110

Registry
As someone who keeps up on Defender prices around the EU, I agree with what’s been said already; $25k is a lot of money for what I see in those photos... and I also agree that it looks like the renovation work that’s been done could very well be surface deep. An ‘87 with a 19j that has been tastefully renovated shouldn’t be more than $16k, IMO. This one doesn’t pass that test and from the photos I wouldn’t pay more than $9-10k, if that.

Keep looking on AutoScout24 and other EU sites to find comparables, but be SUPER careful of scam artists on there (and anywhere)... they go to extreme lengths to seem legit.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 01:16 AM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

Vedrover, thanks for the tips!

------ Follow up post added May 22nd, 2019 12:18 AM ------

Pragueprado,

Appreciate the price comparisons. I'll check out those sites.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 01:51 AM
cowboy

What's that a pic of in your avatar? - it's obviously looking out of an airplane window, but what or where is it looking down on?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:05 AM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
What's that a pic of in your avatar? - it's obviously looking out of an airplane window, but what or where is it looking down on?
Flying into Sicily, looking down on Palermo. Put Sicily on your bucket list!
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:33 AM
cowboy

Quote:
Put Sicily on your bucket list!
I get my Sicily fix via the Godfather marathons on cable - gotta luv that crib where DeNiro stabs the ol' fat guy...
Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:20 AM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

A little more info

As way of an update...the seller (dealer) gave me copies of all the invoices for the truck while it was in an independent mechanic shop (3 months). Totals to almost $9,900 USD for parts/labor. Everything from engine components/seals, exhaust, paint, glass, lamps/bulbs, mud flaps, etc. Body/chassis appears to be corrosion-free and solid.

Does that still make $25K a stretch? It'd be around $26K delivered, as the dealer agreed to split the shipping cost.

Asking for more close-up pics of the paint job, trim, door seals, etc to determine if it's "lipstick on a pig."

I do wish it was a 200 or 300 instead of 19j...but not sure beggars can be choosers.

This forum has been great - great education and lots of good folks. Thanks everyone.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:26 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
Does that still make $25K a stretch? It'd be around $26K delivered, as the dealer agreed to split the shipping cost.
It's your call at this point - check the comparable vehicles in Italy, check the purchase price of an unrestored unit, add the invoice and 35% on top - does it add up to your sales price? Is there a comparable nut&bolt rebuild unit in the same price range? Can you get one here within a similar budget?

Either way, just about everyone on this forum will advise against buying a Def sight unseen, based on pictures alone, unless you are buying it from less than a handful of individuals on this forum or the purchase price is below 10K.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:44 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
$26k for a ROW D90 does not make you a beggar by any means.. i would expect a dry and very original truck for that kind of money...Not something thats had the entire undercarriage rattled canned black.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:37 AM
Jonesy
Craig
1974 Series III "Heavy"Lightweight

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
$26k for a ROW D90 does not make you a beggar by any means.. i would expect a dry and very original truck for that kind of money...Not something thats had the entire undercarriage rattled canned black.
Yeah .... this - it is still a ROW truck, no matter which way you look at it. But it is LHD...that is certainly a plus
Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:33 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

To put things in perspective: a 19J for 10K Euro:

and a 1991 200TDI for 16K Euro:

So, as I said, there are alternatives within your budget.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 01:48 PM
usafandy
Andy
1991 D90 200TDi LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedrover View Post
To put things in perspective: a 19J for 10K Euro:

and a 1991 200TDI for 16K Euro:

So, as I said, there are alternatives within your budget.

Nevermind, guess the “Subito” watermark gives it away. Found the site and taking a gander. Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:22 PM
Tigerwerkes

Dude I've been living here for a couple of years and you can do way better. Set a search alert on subito or autoscout24 ....and just watch it for a week. I would recommend getting one in original condition or close to it and do the work yourself when you get it home so you KNOW what's under the paint. No matter how many pics you ask for he is not going to send you a bad one. Alora!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, for sale, photos, pics