New D90 owner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 21st, 2019, 09:13 PM
Doughhi

New D90 owner

Hello all. Just got a 95 NAS 90 after wanting one for ever. Happy to find fellow rover fans here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:04 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Welcome and congrats. Where are you located? Pics of the 90?

instagram.com/ridgerovers
Old April 22nd, 2019, 08:23 AM
Doughhi

I am in Hilton Head Island, SC

Thinking about an LS engine...thoughts ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2570.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	416302  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:07 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughhi View Post
I am in Hilton Head Island, SC

Thinking about an LS engine...thoughts ???
Should have bought a ROW truck and a roll cage?

It's yours to do with as you please, obviously, but with NAS values being what they are, seems unwise to start hacking it up. I would think the engine swap would ultimately lower the value of the vehicle (financially), if that matters to you..

Or maybe I am way off base, if so, I'm sure I will be corrected swiftly..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:11 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post

It's yours to do with as you please, obviously, but with NAS values being what they are, seems unwise to start hacking it up. I would think the engine swap would ultimately lower the value of the vehicle (financially), if that matters to you..

I am in agreement with you, I think most people would be. Plenty of good LHD ROW 90s you could re-power of a similar vintage. NAS value really is in originality
Old April 22nd, 2019, 09:51 AM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I modified my NAS with an LS. However, it is salvage titled and I would not have done that otherwise personally. That said, all Land Rovers are collectable to a degree and I am a FIRM believer that if you buy it, do whatever the hell you want to it, period.

That said, you could do it all cheaper if you do it as a ROW. And your residual value will be less modifying a NAS, for sure--but it is what it is. LS swap is reversible, too...FYI...albeit not the most simple reverse in the world to the harness...

Contrats--nice looking rig. Own it for a while before you modify it--you will spend way less doing it after you know exactly what to do and what to avoid. Don't hesitate to ask questions here--there is a ton of advice you can get before purchasing stuff which will save you a lot of heart ache!
Old April 22nd, 2019, 10:27 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Welcome to the lunatic asylum!
Old April 22nd, 2019, 11:43 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post

X3 totally agree with you, the value is in keeping this truck stock and only bolt on modifications that can be easily undone. Beautiful truck!
Old April 22nd, 2019, 04:23 PM
Doughhi

Thanks all for the feedback. Its been my grail vehicle for a long time and I am less concerned with resale than I am with performance and dependability. That being said...with 177k miles on it, and work that needs to be done no matter what...does it make sense to rebuild the stock motor...does anyone know what that number is like? Doing everything I planned to do including the LS was around $35k...roughly 23k of that being the crate motor.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:30 AM
DrZ123
Zach
None

Great looking truck!

I agree with the guys here, if you want to change the engine and seats and frame etc etc, get a cheap ROW truck and do as you may.

For an NAS, try to stay original as, well, that is really the only reason to have an NAS over another Defender for half the price or less!!

But alas, it is yours and you can do as you wish.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:31 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
Thanks all for the feedback. Its been my grail vehicle for a long time and I am less concerned with resale than I am with performance and dependability. That being said...with 177k miles on it, and work that needs to be done no matter what...does it make sense to rebuild the stock motor...does anyone know what that number is like? Doing everything I planned to do including the LS was around $35k...roughly 23k of that being the crate motor.
There's nothing wrong with the LR V8 from the standpoint of performance or dependability. I'd be more worried about running a badly executed LS swap, than running a stock V8.

Oh, and 23G's for a crate motor is a bit too much, methinks, I thought they were in the 7-12K range?
https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...27485/10002/-1
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
Doughhi

Right...the 23 g's is all in with all the labor and adapters etc etc.

Thanks for the link and heads up
Old April 23rd, 2019, 01:54 PM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Right...the 23 g's is all in with all the labor and adapters etc etc.

Thanks for the link and heads up
And that is too little. If you find a shop to do 23K all in with a crate motor, you will be pretty well set... I don't know of a single shop offering so low a cost. I think that would be materials only with crate motor/trans/radiator and fixings+adapters.

You could do cheaper--many of us have. Someone even did it for like $10k. Not many people pull that off, though...
Old April 24th, 2019, 11:34 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
That being said...with 177k miles on it, and work that needs to be done no matter what...does it make sense to rebuild the stock motor...does anyone know what that number is like?
FWIW, as a data point, I had a top-end rebuild done on an engine with ~150K, plus new fuel pump, alternator, water pump, hoses, for about $6K.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.