Welded axle to CV? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:35 PM
Sir Sam
Sam
none

Welded axle to CV?

1985 110 with a 20L axle code front end. Relatively new vehicle to me(only broken down twice in 2 continents so far).

I have clicking during tight turns so I ordered up CVs, seals, etc (minus swivel balls). Pulling it apart tonight I found the axle shaft has been tack welded to the CV with about 3 tacks. WTF? Is there something that people hope to accomplish with this?

On open knuckle axles with Ujoints sometimes people will tack weld the caps to the shafts to help prevent them from coming apart during strain, maybe this is the same here?

The tacks appear to be fairly small so I should be able to get through them with a cutoff wheel, but I am just sort of scratching my head with this.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I would get new shafts as well then. They are cheap. Welding will mess them up. I canít see any point to doing that.
Old August 24th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Sir Sam
Sam
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I would get new shafts as well then. They are cheap. Welding will mess them up. I canít see any point to doing that.

I agree for the cost of new shafts. For this round I'm going to cut through the tack welds and attempt to reuse the shafts. I was hoping to use the vehicle for the upcoming holiday weekend of camping and wheeling.

Price you pay when you have to order parts and cut it close to the date.

I also see some wear on the stub axle so I'm regretting pulling them out of my shopping cart now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You should also carry spare half shafts as they break at the diff before anything else with these axles. Usually the short side.
Old August 24th, 2019, 07:47 PM
Sir Sam
Sam
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You should also carry spare half shafts as they break at the diff before anything else with these axles. Usually the short side.

Good advice. I do this for the Jeep with the half shaft/Ujoint/stub axle. Similar set of axle and CV would make a good trail spare, alebit a little more messy, I guess throw some CV grease packets in as well......

------ Follow up post added August 24th, 2019 06:56 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
I agree for the cost of new shafts. For this round I'm going to cut through the tack welds and attempt to reuse the shafts. I was hoping to use the vehicle for the upcoming holiday weekend of camping and wheeling.

Price you pay when you have to order parts and cut it close to the date.

I also see some wear on the stub axle so I'm regretting pulling them out of my shopping cart now.

Turns out I wasn't seeing it clearly last night, the 2 tack welds are on the collar that sits on the splines not the actual shaft itself.

Still don't understand why......but I got the old CVs off, seems like only the left CV had issues, but I'm getting them both replaced along with all new seals, bearings, etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions