Stalling when at idle. Help please. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Stalling when at idle. Help please.

Hello all. I need some advise. I have a 95 d-90 that has been neglected and garaged for the "pretty days" that is now my daily driver. Things are starting to go wrong in all sorts of ways, but I am getting a handle on it now. Here is my biggest issue. When I let the truck sit at idle it dies. Prior to this it has been hard to start when it is extremely humid out and when it does start it runs like it is missing a cylinder until it really heats up. I pulled the dist cap and hit it with a hair dryer once, and that seamed to help on that issue. Anyway this is what I am getting back on this. My mechanic has told me that he thinks it is stalling because I am putting cheap gas in. He is smelling fuel in the exhaust. He recommended better fuel and berryman's. What say you all, and thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I would start off with the simple stuff. Run a can of BG 44K through with the next tank of (quality) fuel. Check all of your spark plug leads: make sure they are intact, boots are good, no water under the boots. When you reinstall the boots, pack some dielectric grease in them. Check the lead that runs from the ignition coil to the distributor and do the same thing. Make sure all of the spade plugs are secure on the bottom of the coil.

Try these things first. If that doesn't fix it, come back and we can go over the next steps (fuel filter, fuel pump issues, throttle body cleaner, etc).
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Chris. That is incredibly helpful in terms of walking through different problems solving steps. I will do so and get back to you all on this. I did recently replace my fuel pump and fuel filter so that may or may not have much to do with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

I would also do a search on Stepper Motor as that controls your air mixture at idle and can also cause hard start issues...
Old September 19th, 2019, 02:13 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

OK. It has been forever since this was posted and I hate usually not having posts finished out. The ECM and the Coil were replaced, as was the Dist cap and my problems went away, came back, got fixed again, and then recently came back but this time it is a bit different. I am now noticing the wiring harness bits and pieces for this are starting to cause issues. I noticed the wires are all frayed and dry rotted. I also found that the harness is not for sale anywhere that I can find. I am thinking my only real option is to simply go pull it, and solder all of it back together. Anyone have any feedback on this. Thanks.
Old September 19th, 2019, 02:31 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
OK. It has been forever since this was posted and I hate usually not having posts finished out. The ECM and the Coil were replaced, as was the Dist cap and my problems went away, came back, got fixed again, and then recently came back but this time it is a bit different. I am now noticing the wiring harness bits and pieces for this are starting to cause issues. I noticed the wires are all frayed and dry rotted. I also found that the harness is not for sale anywhere that I can find. I am thinking my only real option is to simply go pull it, and solder all of it back together. Anyone have any feedback on this. Thanks.
PM Sent
We have the harness in stock

Give us a call at: 1-(407)517-4983
Or, Email us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amazon Store:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SafariHP Parts Site:

Old September 19th, 2019, 03:25 PM
thehundredth
PJ
1995 D90 Beluga Black

Do you have the harness that clips into the ECU located under the passenger side seat?
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:06 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Actually to be clear. I may have typed wrong. The wiring harness I am looking for is the wiring harness form the ignition control unit to the coil pack. those wires are the ones that are fried.
Old October 14th, 2019, 10:30 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Update on this. So we rigged up my old harness and it worked, but I wasn’t convinced something had been done to “fix” the issue. Well sure enough my truck stalled again last week. No spark. I ordered the wiring harness from Safari HP and installed it. I got spark to the cap but not to the plugs. Today I picked up a rotor and cap, installed that and it fired right up. Not sure if I have been chasing the same problem with different fixes, or different problems but it’s odd. I needed the harness though so All is great on that. Just seams goofy to be dealing with different iterations of very similar issues.
Old October 14th, 2019, 10:56 PM
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Not sure if I have been chasing the same problem with different fixes, or different problems but it’s odd...Just seams goofy to be dealing with different iterations of very similar issues.
Not so odd or goofy, really. It's old enough to be out of warranty so you need the cap & rotor changed out on a regular basis, right? Actually, it's waaaay out of warranty so you eventually needed a new wiring harness, too. If anything is odd or goofy, it's that you haven't also been stuck somewhere in a no-start scenario due to worn out spark wires or stalled out somewhere due to a burned up, worn out NLA distributor...

ie, it's not you, it's us.

BTW, what cap & rotor did you go with?
Old October 16th, 2019, 10:42 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Oh, don’t get me wrong. The wires, plugs, ICM, coil pack, dizzy cap and who knows what untold issues I have changed over the years. And I have been stuck on the side of the road for sure. I really probably should think about a wiring harness soon. I am just a bit reluctant to pull that trigger as wiring is not my forte. Actually fixing my truck is not my forte but it sure hasn’t stopped me from trying.

Honestly I am not entirely sure what cap and rotor I picked up. Was a Napa version. I actually went cheap because I thought the mechanic looking at it was out of his mind. Sure enough though he was right. I may need to order a better one for the glove box.
Old October 16th, 2019, 11:33 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

so just a couple of thoughts,

you say the wiring is fraying - where exactly..
The Amplifier module to distributor wires? the spark plug wires. etc.

No starts and completely dying are usually the cap or rotor, sometime the coil, but i start with replacing the Rotor button first, then the cap, that fixes most of them. the rotors crack and arc to the shaft grounding out the ignition.

if it start and runs and dies on idle i would replace the stepper motor which is this https://www.carparts.com/details/Lan...owfitment=true

it is located on the left side of the intake manifold and takes a minute to switch out. this part is known to have issue.

95' D90
92’ D110 - ZA
Old October 18th, 2019, 12:44 AM
KeyesKennardD90
Keyes
1995 Land Rover D90 NAS

Registry
Curious, is check engine light on? And if so, are you getting any codes from module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Rlynch- I noticed the wires fraying were mostly around the connections around the ECM and the small wires to the coil pack. Those have been repaired. The plug wires etc are all mostly new. Ia also replaced the stepper recently. I think my culprit was the last time I replaced the dizzy cap I did not replace the button in the middle. I think the combination of that and some wires being weak were giving me weak spark. It is running great right now.

KeyesKennard. The check engine light was spradic but was not giving me codes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle