Noise under the hood LR 130 Puma 2.2 diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2019, 07:05 PM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock
2015 Defender 130 pick up

Noise under the hood LR 130 Puma 2.2 diesel

Hi all,
Well I'm just about at the end of my tether, so, we have a 130 Defender, 2.2 diesel turbo charged motor. For those of you who may remember, this is the one that went under water in a creek for 4 hours before we managed to tow it out.
New stripped down rebuilt motor, a few tune up hiccups but OK now since we had new injectors replaced also. Now we have this 'clicking' noise ... reading this forum, it sounded like the clutch had gone, so I replaced with a well recommeded heavy duty one recommened by this forum ... thanks for that, but noise still there ... we even replaced the timing chain tensioner as we found a gear or two missing from the little piston set up, anyway that didn't help ... we've been like bees around the honey pot try to suss out the noise and its source ... pieces of wood to the ear including a stethoscope

When driving and initialy accelerating through the gears, you hear this click click click ... until you reach cruising speeds then she disappears ... when in the city in lower gears especially 2nd and 3rdwhen you try ti excelorate, the clicking noise is worse, until the revs build up then it goes. I'd sware the noise is similar to a problem with advanced timing, but we have had that checked by 3 separate garages, including the stealership.
Help, any ideas ? Cheers and thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Z.G
Zack

Registry
While there are some amazingly knowledgeable people on this board, you may have better luck if you also post it on a forum based where those trucks are legal and prolific.
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:21 PM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock

Legal ?... sorry, I don't get it, where and why would my 'truck' be illegal ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Miket961
Mike
92 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post

Puma engines aren’t legal in the US until they are 25 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:31 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Your 130 wouldn't be legal here, so no one would have one, hence there isn't much info here to help you since the majority on this forum are here in the US of A. Us Americans have no experience with them (generally).

Good luck.
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Z.G
Zack

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bulldog View Post
Sorry, didn't mean anything by it besides this is a US based forum and we dont have a lot of pumas here.
Old July 11th, 2019, 08:02 PM
British Bulldog
Paul Simcock

Arh Haa ... that explains a lot then ... I'm on the wrong forum, its the UK Defender forum I need to be at, thanks for that ... no wonder I didn't receive many comments ... Ha Ha ha
I might add FYI I actually live in the Ciuntry of Laos and perform survey work in the many jungles that we have here, so very little assistance in this fairly isolated Country

Cheers 'n thanks again !
Old July 11th, 2019, 08:05 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Good luck and I wish we had the ability to get puma’s here. We’d be happy to help then.

95' D90
92’ D110 - ZA
Old July 17th, 2019, 02:31 AM
Sand Lover
Ricus
1970 seriers 2A 109

Had same problem with my Disco, turned out to be an injector over feulling making a diesel knock.
Depends on the pitch of the noise you hear, if it is a soft tick the whole time it could be a hydraulic valve lifter, if the sound is there only after you revved it up and released the pedal it could be a piston slap (piston clearance between piston and sleeve), if the sound is loud when you ref up and release it could be a conrod bearing clearance problem which in turn could make your piston top touch the cylinder head. Try to listen where the sound is, if you hear it at the bottom it could be a bearing, if at the top near the cylinder head it could be a piston
Old July 17th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Naplm00
M
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Rn shipping is expensive but fast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions