Need help finding correct steering box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2019, 05:46 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Need help finding correct steering box

My steering box finally started puking fluid all over so time to repair or replace. I've already got it out of the truck but so now ready to find a replacement but so far I'm having no luck, other than in the UK. And from what I've read, it's best to get a new or reman box rather than trying new seals.

My truck is a LHD 1988 90 2.5 petrol and according to the parts manual, the steering box should be part number NTC1583. This is the Gemmer unit with the 6-bolt top cover.

Can anyone recommend a source? I emailed RovahFarm the other day but so far have heard nothing back.

Alternatively, I've read about converting to the 4-bolt box but not sure if there are different part numbers or which application I can use.

I appreciate any experience you guys can pass-along.

Thanks,

CARL
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2019, 08:19 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Anyone??
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 06:19 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blood View Post
My steering box finally started puking fluid all over so time to repair or replace. I've already got it out of the truck but so now ready to find a replacement but so far I'm having no luck, other than in the UK. And from what I've read, it's best to get a new or reman box rather than trying new seals.

My truck is a LHD 1988 90 2.5 petrol and according to the parts manual, the steering box should be part number NTC1583. This is the Gemmer unit with the 6-bolt top cover.

Can anyone recommend a source? I emailed RovahFarm the other day but so far have heard nothing back.

Alternatively, I've read about converting to the 4-bolt box but not sure if there are different part numbers or which application I can use.

I appreciate any experience you guys can pass-along.

Thanks,

CARL
There have been several used for sale here on the forum off & on. Check Zack at RN...maybe post in the "Parts Wanted" thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips

Gave up on finding a replacement box and decided to replace the seals and give it a go.

Luckily the steering arm came off without too much trouble and removing the leaking seals was pretty straightforward. Now just waiting for the new seals to arrive and I can bolt it all back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old August 22nd, 2019, 06:15 AM
Brrrrt
Brian
Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blood View Post
Gave up on finding a replacement box and decided to replace the seals and give it a go.

Luckily the steering arm came off without too much trouble and removing the leaking seals was pretty straightforward. Now just waiting for the new seals to arrive and I can bolt it all back together.

How did the replacement seals work for your steering box...any issues?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions