LED headlights - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Kuhn 6988
Thomas Kuhn
88 Defender 90 RHD

LED headlights

Does anyone have a good experience with a brand and model LED headlights any with the halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2019, 06:08 PM
J_Solomon
Jeff
1995 Defender 90

Haven’t used halo lights but went to LED and this was pretty turnkey. I know very little so if I can do it, I think anyone can.Click image for larger version

Name:	A7FC7056-9C62-4DB1-99AF-F24A7121644B_1563664098236.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	423488
Old July 20th, 2019, 06:14 PM
rangerover
Patrick
1990 Range Rover

I'm running these on my RRC. The halo feature is spliced into the parking lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love them and plan on ordering another set for my LWB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rrcSwimming.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	423490   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	423492  

2004 Discovery 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2019, 08:30 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I have trucklites on both defenders, nice and not too pricey. It really pays to adjust them correctly though.

Some don’t like them though.

95' D90
92’ D110 - ZA
Old July 20th, 2019, 09:01 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Trucklites here for the past 5 years. Love them. IMO, halo lights are beyond ridiculous, but then I wear a Stetson and Birkenstocks, so I'm not one to ask for aesthetic advice.
Old July 20th, 2019, 09:58 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
I'm running these on my RRC. The halo feature is spliced into the parking lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love them and plan on ordering another set for my LWB
I'm always suspicious of any manufacturer that claims their headlights are "DOT approved". There's no such thing. The Department of Transportation issues standards that street-legal products must meet; in this case FMVSS-108. But it does not test individual products, and does not "approve" anything.

In other words, any vendor that claims their headlight is "DOT approved" is giving you a line of BS. Take that for what you will, but it makes me reluctant to take anything else they claim at face value.
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:09 AM
emah
El Ed
1993 NAS D110 / 95 D1. /. 96 D1

Registry
I have the JW Speakers and it’s the best upgrade...worth every penny. Why do you want Halo?
Personally I think they look stupid on any car. My JW Speakers look bitchin in or off and don’t need that look for any reason. Just my 2 cents. It’s your money your choice.
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:32 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
You're in Ohio. If you drive your truck in snow, you'll want to get LED with heating elements. The LED's don't generate enough heat and snow just accumulates. On-coming drivers will still (barely) see you, but you'll have no light on the road in front of you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 LED.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	423504

Old July 21st, 2019, 01:04 AM
emah
El Ed

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium1330 View Post
You're in Ohio. If you drive your truck in snow, you'll want to get LED with heating elements. The LED's don't generate enough heat and snow just accumulates. On-coming drivers will still (barely) see you, but you'll have no light on the road in front of you.

Attachment 423504
Chris, is that pic from this past winter snow trip?
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:47 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emah View Post
Chris, is that pic from this past winter snow trip?
Yeah, buddy!
We had couple winter trips, this one near Lake Tahoe last year. Fun trip. You should come up for one of these. But t’was white knuckles coming back - after dark, snow was coming down fast, trail was covered and i only had like 10’ visibility once the lights were covered.

Old July 21st, 2019, 10:00 AM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO View Post
I'm always suspicious of any manufacturer that claims their headlights are "DOT approved". There's no such thing. The Department of Transportation issues standards that street-legal products must meet; in this case FMVSS-108. But it does not test individual products, and does not "approve" anything.

In other words, any vendor that claims their headlight is "DOT approved" is giving you a line of BS. Take that for what you will, but it makes me reluctant to take anything else they claim at face value.

x2 on these. I have them on mine, just didn't hook up the halo part -I am not a big fan of the halo either. I installed them because they draw less current so it is easier on the switch and they don't dim when my heater blower is running.
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:04 AM
emah
El Ed

Registry
Quote:
Yeah, buddy!
We had couple winter trips, this one near Lake Tahoe last year. Fun trip. You should come up for one of these. But t’was white knuckles coming back - after dark, snow was coming down fast, trail was covered and i only had like 10’ visibility once the lights were covered.
Yeah, couldn’t make the last one but hope to make the next one! Man, I saw how deep the snow was...crazy!!!
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:07 AM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
Quote:

Attachment 423504

I think I would freeze to death in weather this cold if I had to rely on my heater to keep me warm.
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:30 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris is correct - LED in WET winter conditions need heated elements (really cold and dry is not an issue)

Vision X for the halo lights and trucklights for the heated element version (we sell both)

Vision X is the only true DOT compliant mfr for the halo lights.

Old July 21st, 2019, 12:31 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Registry
I've used JW Speakers on both our Rubicon and on the Defender for the past 4 years. The latest upgrade on the D110 are the Model 8700 Evo 2 dual-burn lights with the integrated heating elements. They're much brighter on high beam and they never ice over.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old July 21st, 2019, 03:18 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I've used JW Speakers on both our Rubicon and on the Defender for the past 4 years. The latest upgrade on the D110 are the Model 8700 Evo 2 dual-burn lights with the integrated heating elements. They're much brighter on high beam and they never ice over.
Are JW Speakers actually headlights? and not speakers?
Old July 21st, 2019, 04:37 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderholty View Post
Are JW Speakers actually headlights? and not speakers?
JW Speaker makes headlights...JW Headlights makes speakers.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old July 23rd, 2019, 10:56 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
I have trucklites on both defenders, nice and not too pricey. It really pays to adjust them correctly though.

I ended up researching all of the options and went this route The “Rigid” variant is trucklite and usually cheaper.

$470 on amazon. I would recommend installing a relay either way, I don’t know the draw on the heating elements but its recommended whatever road you choose.

The Halo lights I have seen have funky relay boxes and just look shoddy.

The trucklights have high quality housings and are solid, mind have been bulletproof for the last few years and the cutoff pattern means no blinding incoming traffic. I haven’t been flashed yet…
Old July 24th, 2019, 11:40 AM
LoamaD90
Landon
1988 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post

I read the instructions on how to adjust them but don't see the adjustment screw on mine. Do they all have adjustability?
Old July 24th, 2019, 11:58 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoamaD90 View Post
I read the instructions on how to adjust them but don't see the adjustment screw on mine. Do they all have adjustability?
This is a decent explanation

It’s possible you have non-standard rings, since 7” headlamps are so ubiquitous maybe someone threw in an aftermarket bowl. Essentially you adjust them left and right and up and down utilizing the screw cutouts present on the front trim. loosen one and tighten the opposite. If the ring isn’t holding the headlamp fast then you will have a loose lamp that will shake.

Basically the ring holds tight to the light and you adjust the outer ring for position.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions