Hot Start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2019, 01:41 PM
MUD001

Hot Start

Dear Fellow Members,

I hope some of you can shed some light on a few predicaments that I'm experiencing with my Defender 130 300 Tdi.

I'll get straight to it.

1) My landi starts on the first kick when cold. but when I've been running it for a good hour, in traffic etc and I stop to buy groceries for example, it doesn't start. The starter whines and whines. So I let it cool down for a good 15 min before trying again. I usually just end up leaving it on, until Im done. Why is this? Battery? Starter? what could cause it?

2) I have a death wobble at 60km and above. Its terrifying actually. I have my suspicions that its the 35" Korean tires and heavy 15" steel rims. My undercarriage is new with all parts replaced. When I tried to use the standard 235 tired the wobble went away, but had a slight shake at 100km. I didn't really try to exceed that speed. I have spacers installed as well.
What could be the problem? I have tried to do balancing etc as well. I'm replacing the tires and rims soon, so i'm hoping it'll be over.

I'd appreciate any ideas.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

For the death wobble, if you have made sure all bushings are in good condition and your tie rod/drag link ends are good, there are still a few important things to check. Check your drop arm and make sure that it is tight on the steering box and make sure you have no play in that system. Then make sure both your hubs are tight against the bearings — very important. Then check your hub preload. This is very important and almost never checked. I couldn’t believe that this would cause the issue but it was my issue. So simple yet so amazing that it could cause this. Several people have found this to also be their issue...
Old September 8th, 2019, 06:50 PM
MUD001

Thank you!
I've checked all bushings etc and my drop arm tightness to the steering box but haven't checked the hub preload. I've give it a try in the morning and if it works out I'll owe you a case of beer. I have a long trip coming up and would be great to finally drive it normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

You will need to refill your hubs if you adjust them—either one shot lubricant or gear oil. May need some spare shims or just remove shims. Keep them if you remove any as future spares.
Old September 12th, 2019, 10:37 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

For #1 sounds like the fuel line is in contact with hot stuff, basically boiling the fuel in the line. My 356 did this till I figured it out.

There is heat sleeve on amazon which you can use to shield it.

95' D90
92 D110 - ZA
Old September 19th, 2019, 01:56 PM
MUD001

Just wanted to update my work on the death wobble issues. After oiling the hubs as recommended and removing my unnecessary 30mm spacers. I FINALLY put an end to the death wobble. It felt great. THANK YOU DAVIS!!!

However, I haven't solved my hot start issue. I've checked my fuel line to see if it comes in contact with the engine and it doesn't. Any other ideas? I'm all ears.
Starts great from the first morning kick, and any other time its cold or even a little hot. But run it a bit longer and its a drag to start. I'm in a hot climate country and can't avoid the heat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions