Originally Posted by amschnellsten
I was not too pleased with the brackets that are on the motor. Ive been looking at the after market options and they either won't work or look poorly engineered.
I will definitely take your mount if you have one to spare. Thanks for the heads up on the headers.
Started down this road with the 292 first than the 250 thinking this will be easy.
We have a left over adapter from the last batch of 4 cylinder adapters and we have the casting mold and the machine shop has the program and you can buy after market ancillary mounts on ebay, piece of cake, right?
Kind of, but not exactly.
We are building our own ancillary mounts and it is never as easy as you initially think.
Will post up some pictures when I get a chance.
Over the years, I was a diesel head and every time I drive the 292 powered 110. think why didn't I do this 15 years ago?
The answer is was so into the diesel scene that I kept ignoring the signs.
People would contact me and say, my wife and children don't like the diesel smell.
This diesel is too slow and the only solution you have is a the 3.0 4 cylinder gasoline engine or another diesel, can'y you come up with something better?
I kept working on the diesels, understanding their weak points and always fixing them.
We installed an Isuzu 2,8 TDI in our sons Range Rover.
Our daughter drove a Jetta Diesel, and I had two diesel powered 110s.
I spent a year developing the OM617 conversion which was my best work to date.
Then it happened within a weeks time.
The Jetta quit in western VA, was towed to 2 different shops who couldn't fix it.
One of the 110s with a 200TDI developed a IP leak that was too bad to drive it a week after I changed the head gasket, water pump, and timing belt.
Our British Red Cross 110 with an Iveco engine was still driving after pulling the engine and spending lots of time to replace the head gasket timing belt and all the oil seals.
We went to the trouble to install AC in it with a high output alternator.
Was driving down the interstate and heard a belt squeal.
Pulled over and one of the alternator belts was gone and the other was chewed up and upside down.
Further inspection revealed that the timing belt idler pulley had broken and the idler had pushed and chewed through the timing cover and the only thing holding it in place was the alternator belt.
I got off the interstate and drove 20 MPH all the way home.
Three broken within a week, 2 daily drivers and the backup vehicle!
I threw the towel in and decided to drive something more reliable.
Knew that diesel fuel has all the lubricant removed and that my days of driving small mechanical diesels were numbered.
Diesel was more expensive at the pump.
It was time for a change.
Wanted more power and reliability and was sick of putting all the effort into something that was unreliable and under-powered.
The engine had to be cheap, plentiful, and have enough power to not vary speed by 10 to 15 MPH on an upgrade.
So went to the gasoline powered incline 6 cylinder with over the counter parts support and never looked back.
With metal timing gears, HEI, and the Holly Sniper, it is as modern as it needs to be with bullet proof reliability.
Am even going to put an inline 6 in a 130 and kit it out for camping.
My previous plan was to build a 110 Dormobile camper, but that was based on something sized for a 4 cylinder diesel and those days are gone forever.
We purged 26 diesel engines and some Rover V8s to get back floor space in the shop and have never looked back!
Enough about the reasons for building these kits, the good news is they are becoming available.
Brian has his 250 up and running in his 90 and our British Red Cross 110 will be on the road with a $125 Chevy 250 under the hood in a few days.
Then will finish the installation guide and start shipping out these kits.
Thanks to everyone who has waited so patiently.