Galvanizing bulkhead or alternative options - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

My only update is that AZZ says “No”. If I sign a waiver saying any damage from galvanizing or from sloppy handling is not their fault then I’m OK. They are an industrial shop— they don’t want to have an ibeam hit it and be held responsible. I’m gonna build a frame for the bulkhead, sign a waiver, and go for it but it’s down on my todo list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2019, 12:13 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I sign a disclaimer for every bulkhead or part that I have dipped here in the UK. I do all of mine in jigs and never had damage. I had to convince them to dip my very first ones as they hate dealing with LR owners and jack the prices up to avoid dealing with them. Once they saw mine in the jigs they changed their tune. Now they actually prefer how I bring them in the jigs as it makes their job easier. You may have to fab the jig in a way so that it hangs at an appropriate angle when it is dipped to prevent any pooling of the zinc in the footwells. At my place they tend to hang like for like when dipping, meaning that it is very unlikely they will hang structural steel on the same frame as your bulkhead when dipping. I think you will be fine.
Old June 9th, 2019, 06:20 PM
Sir Sam
Sam
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
My only update is that AZZ says “No”. If I sign a waiver saying any damage from galvanizing or from sloppy handling is not their fault then I’m OK. They are an industrial shop— they don’t want to have an ibeam hit it and be held responsible. I’m gonna build a frame for the bulkhead, sign a waiver, and go for it but it’s down on my todo list.
That’s good to hear, I have some bumpers I wanted to get dipped this summer and maybe some rover parts this fall. Depending on how your jig works maybe some locals can reuse it?

I have a plasma CNC table if there are any brackets or parts that would help to have CNC cut for a jig, combined with some sheet metal bending CAD tools you can make some really nice parts fairly easy that could help. Let me know.

That’s good to hear, I have several parts I was wanting to get galvanized soon. I will be curious to see your jig, build it right and maybe some of us locals can reuse it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Same story. Blah blah blah if we ruin it it’s on you. I’m not really excited about paying for another bulkhead plus shipping, but not impressed by the thought of a rusty one either.

I have had one shop agree to do it, but they want to drill extra holes in it. I’m fine as long as they are not visible externally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Old June 14th, 2019, 08:25 AM
DefendersMN

Registry
anyone know of galvanizers around Minneapolis MN?
Old June 21st, 2019, 07:15 AM
Ryan Lynch
Ryan Lynch
94 NAS

Sent you a message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 21st, 2019, 10:35 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
Builder of custom Defenders
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Same story. Blah blah blah if we ruin it itís on you. Iím not really excited about paying for another bulkhead plus shipping, but not impressed by the thought of a rusty one either.

I have had one shop agree to do it, but they want to drill extra holes in it. Iím fine as long as they are not visible externally.
I had two come back with holes.
They mistakenly believed the door pilar was closed @ the top, they are not
I welded up the holes and moved on.
The reason holes are drilled is to allow air to escape to prevent ballooning.
To be clear, bulkheads should be dipped upside down.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 21st, 2019, 10:50 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Good to know, thanks! Are any holes beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I had two come back with holes.
They mistakenly believed the door pilar was closed @ the top, they are not
I welded up the holes and moved on.
The reason holes are drilled is to allow air to escape to prevent ballooning.
To be clear, bulkheads should be dipped upside down.
Old June 21st, 2019, 01:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
Builder of custom Defenders
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Good to know, thanks! Are any holes beneficial?
hell no

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 14th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
hell no
Doug:

Messaged you.

Good to know on the upside down thing. I can only find one galvanizing outfit that will do it- and they are hesitant at best. Any ideas on where I can get ‘instructions’ on how to do one? Are there other options for rust proofing? My Defender is heading to the USVI so it needs to be as rust-proof as possible. I’ve heard of epoxy dipping, could that work? It’s a brand new factory RHD Puma bulkhead.

Thanks in advance!

Paul.
Old July 16th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Thoughts on epoxy coating on a bulkhead? I can't find anyone in the PNW who has galvanized a LR bulkhead but I have found a company that will strip & epoxy it.
Old July 16th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Paul, contact Ike @ Pangolin 4x4. I'm pretty sure he has bulkheads galvanized all the time.
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca" (lives again)
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa" -wallet thinner

Past:

1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycle
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2" Sold 12/18; now in NJ
Old July 16th, 2019, 09:52 AM
erover82

Tactical4x4 started "metalizing" their large parts such as bumpers, sliders, etc a few years ago. I looked into it and it appears it's a zinc spray plating process. The company they link to for more info is on the west coast and looks promising:

Quote:
We Hate Rust!
We are so confident that our metallizing process will keep away rust that we make the following guarantee: If your pieces are metallized by us, there will be no visible rust for 3 years! No steel erosion for 10 years or we will metallize your problem pieces again for FREE!* This means that metallizing pays for itself in less than five years!

ZincNation, Inc
Quote:
The surface to be treated is first sandblasted. Then wire is fed automatically through the nozzle of the spray gun. A combustible gas, oxygen, and compressed air serve to melt and blow the atomized metal against the surface to be coated. The preferred gas is acetylene although other gasses can be used. For corrosion protection primarily zinc or aluminum is used. Zinc or aluminum, powerful anodes, on steel or iron create a cathodic or galvanic effect that resists corrosion. Rust cannot spread and blister your paint even if the paint, primer, and metallized coating are scratched, all the way through into the iron.
ZincNation, Inc.
Old July 16th, 2019, 10:23 AM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Hey Davis,

I don't know if you have get this sorted but I will be running another batch of parts including a chassis through the galvanizer this Sept. I'm happy to add the bulkhead in if you want to ship it to me in Nashville. Shoot me an email off list and we can chat. [email protected]

Cheers
Scott
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
2003 Mini Cooper S (The gocart)
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi 5 speed SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old July 16th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

Thanks for the offer, Scott--but the back and forth in freight just isn't worth it--I'll get it sorted here though.

Sam--I'll reach out to you in regards to reusing the jig--no issue there.

UD_-GREAT to know about doing them upside down, thanks! Curious as to why? (I know your experience tells you so, but would love to know what goes wrong!). I'll put a lifting point on the jig to make sure of it....
Old July 16th, 2019, 02:38 PM
WK2Burner
Francis
1991 D90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
\Once they saw mine in the jigs they changed their tune. Now they actually prefer how I bring them in the jigs as it makes their job easier. You may have to fab the jig in a way so that it hangs at an appropriate angle when it is dipped to prevent any pooling of the zinc in the footwells.
any pics of your jig and/or dip setup? i assume you have to pack it out a bit to allow the galvy get around where the jig attaches? just curious as I have not ever seen anything galvanized other than some industrial ibeams when i was at a finishing shop. thanks.
Old July 17th, 2019, 01:49 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
These are my jigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170926_130722.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	423106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170926_134430.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	423108  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions