Defenders in California - Everything you want to know - Page 19 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2018, 02:11 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofher007 View Post
California is going down!!
Every day Californians residents are moving out to either to Nevada,Arizona, Texas or Utah.
Big business are moving as well..
Taxes are way to[sic] HIGH..
I guess that's why the property values there are so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
and its a matter of time before you get caught, I know 3 different guy who got nabbed, tickets ranged from 3 to 6 hundred beans and they werent all driving defenders...
I know in this region, residents in SW Washington try to pull a similar thing. Car registration fees in Oregon are much lower, so a lot of them will get a Portland PO Box as their registration address. Washington cops are on the lookout for things like a car with an Oregon plate repeatedly leaving a residential area during the morning commute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2019, 03:55 PM
CPTLOU
Lou Alvarez
2002 LR Discovery II HSE

Question,

Is the 25 year rule the standard for importation by date ?
I am currently in Africa, looking to bring a 1994 110 and a 1989 110 from Zambia, via Midlands, TX.

Lou
Old March 30th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

Date of manufacturer, not date of sale or issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2019, 03:30 AM
CPTLOU
Lou Alvarez
2002 LR Discovery II HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Date of manufacturer, not date of sale or issue.
I understand date of manufacture. My question is 25 years and up, or OLDER than 25 years? Because that would nix the 1994.
Old April 1st, 2019, 07:31 AM
Davis
Davis

1994 are fine if early part before today. 25 years and older.
Old April 7th, 2019, 04:41 AM
CPTLOU
Lou Alvarez
2002 LR Discovery II HSE

1994 dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
1994 are fine if early part before today. 25 years and older.
Are you able to determine exact date by the VIN ?

I am looking to bring this 94' 110 ( 3.5) shipping out of Durban in May, so it will likely not be here before mid-late June.
Along with it, an 89' 110 with a TDi , and a 1975 109 P/U with the orig gas motor ( 2.2 / 2.5 ?).

All are coming out of Durban, except the 109 which was acquired here in Zambia. I think Dar esSalam in Tanzania may be cheaper because of proximity.

I'm trying to line it up thru Schumacher, unless anyone knows of a better alternative. Coming out of Durban, SA to Midland TX.
I hear that Hueneme in SoCal is a royal pain overall; is that true?
My concern is not emissions, as I will be registering one out of state, and the other two will be going up for sale out of CA.
Old April 7th, 2019, 05:10 AM
Pragueprado
Clive
1995 ROW 110

Registry
The answer as to whether you can determine exact build date by the VIN is, I believe, “no.” The US customs people will base the age of the car on either its first registration (you have to provide copies of the original title and registration) or (better in my opinion) you can pay the British Motor museum a certain amount to send you a Heritage certificate; their certificate has the exact build date and the date it was shipped to the dealer from the factory.
https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk...e-certificates
Old April 7th, 2019, 05:44 AM
CPTLOU
Lou Alvarez
2002 LR Discovery II HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragueprado View Post
The answer as to whether you can determine exact build date by the VIN is, I believe, no. The US customs people will base the age of the car on either its first registration (you have to provide copies of the original title and registration) or (better in my opinion) you can pay the British Motor museum a certain amount to send you a Heritage certificate; their certificate has the exact build date and the date it was shipped to the dealer from the factory.
https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk...e-certificates
Zambian titles show: " DATE OF MANUFACTURE " nd below 1975. I know at home it can be like " 10/74 " and be sold as a 1975 model.
I think the South African titles read the same way. I know in the US ( at least in CA) it can show as DATE OF MFG as one, and then DATE SOLD or MODEL YR as different.

My concern is whether they would count a 1994 model as meeting the criteria for the 25 yr importation, or split hairs to whether is before or after Jun 1st, the official split.
Old April 7th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Davis
Davis

My current 1994 has the month and year of date of manufacture. THAT is the date and the only date that customs cares about by the letter of the law, But if it only lists the year, then you better get that certificate that Clive mentions as that will show it. These photos are not mine. If it does not have the month, and I now see why you ask, I would bet the assume December as that only makes since. I now understand your question.

Top pic is a NAS ID sticker which ROW doesn’t have. I don’t have a row plate handy but I think you’re right that the month is typically absent.

Anyone know how long the certificates take to get?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00D662AF-0E2B-4900-A031-7D4E73378D3A.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	415220   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D3EA23B-40D6-4E54-8BFC-99DD7EDDA9FA.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	415222  

Old July 21st, 2019, 12:20 PM
endlessbender
Steve Bender
1991 Land Rover Defender 110

Registry
EV Conversions are legal in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring View Post
Not covered in the very sobering first post is: what about an electric (EV) converted Defender - will California allow that? The second question might be has anyone here done that yet...
Just wanted to chime in here. My company does EV conversions albeit not on Defenders (Analog Motor Co.) and its a simple change at the DMV, they change the G or D to E, and its no longer necessary to smog. Take it from someone who knows what they are talking about and has done it before.

I have a 1991 gas Defender 110 also, and it is licensed in CA. Just has to pass smog.

The best move for anyone, is to import the vehicle, have the importer title and plate the car in the import state (ie Florida), drive or ship to CA, and have a VIN VERIFIER come to your home and complete the registration paperwork for a small fee. Take that paperwork to AAA (Not DMV) and then get your plates after it passes smog.

Everyone hating on CA needs to educate themselves.
Old July 21st, 2019, 01:30 PM
Naplm00
M
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

So you have a 1991 gas engine truck that you have gotten through the smog process ? Please explain
Old September 19th, 2019, 04:53 PM
apasqualone

anyone have any thoughts on if this is going to actually changes things for us wit Trump/Epa and CARB?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?464472...fuel-standards
Old September 19th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Naplm00
M
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

if it does happen, wont impact for YEARS due to the legal challenges. So dont get too excited. Also California, like every other state has the right to choose what they want to register for the road, no matter the smog certification, so grey market vehicles will still most likely be illegal...but really who knows.

there are a TON of already registered truck on California craigslist...why not choose one of those non-shitty ones ?
Old November 5th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Disco-JVO
John
2001 Disco

Suggestions for a new gas tank for an ‘83 110 with an LS3. I need a gas tank that works with the OBD. Working on getting my CA sticker
Old November 11th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Davis
Davis

I was under the impression that the tank needs to be the same volume as the donor so the original ECU setting for the emissions tests it runs are correct/compliant. Maybe you can do that with a combination os stock and saddle tanks?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender