clutch replacement help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 20th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

clutch replacement help

hello, i am located in Atlanta Ga and i am looking for a reputable shop to replace the clutch in My 1994 D90...i can no longer get it in gear and when i do, the pedal is a the floor...the time has come as the weather is warm...any suggestions? thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Miket961
Mike
92 Defender 110

What part of Atlanta?

Often the highest recommended is The Shop. I havenít used them, hear good things, a bit on the high side.

A guy Iíve spoken with but havenít made it to his shop yet is Off-road Classics Atlanta down in East Point.

I use a local guy in Mableton...the trucks are pretty simple to work on and Iíve started doing most of my own work. If youíd like my guy, send a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miket961 View Post
What part of Atlanta?

Often the highest recommended is The Shop. I havenít used them, hear good things, a bit on the high side.

A guy Iíve spoken with but havenít made it to his shop yet is Off-road Classics Atlanta down in East Point.

I use a local guy in Mableton...the trucks are pretty simple to work on and Iíve started doing most of my own work. If youíd like my guy, send a PM

yeah but i have read this job isnt easy...taking the floor or motor out....i have done plenty of clutches, but this seems in depth....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is no different than any other clutch on any other vehicle.
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Miket961
Mike
92 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg97m3 View Post
yeah but i have read this job isnt easy...taking the floor or motor out....i have done plenty of clutches, but this seems in depth....

Note- Iím not a mechanic, but I play one on this forum...

Taking the floor out would be only if you donít have the right tools do everything from underneath.

Old March 20th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
If anything, it's actually easier to drop the gearbox on a Defender than on a lot of modern vehicles. No need to take the engine out and floor panels are removed with a screwdriver.
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is no different than any other clutch on any other vehicle.

so why is my shop telling me we have to take apart half my car, they told me the only way is the floor, and trans tunnel. aslo said the D90 wasnt the same, bc i asked the same question...i am not a dummy, but feel pretty dumb now i thought the same...hop on my lift, disconnect exahsut, drive shaft and slide out tranny and then pop in clutch and resurface fly wheel......what am i missing?
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
..hop on my lift, disconnect exahsut, drive shaft and slide out tranny and then pop in clutch and resurface fly wheel......what am i missing?
That is what you do. Same as any normal 4WD vehicle. You can take out the floor boards and tunnel, if you want. It takes 10 minutes and makes reaching the top of the belhousing simpler. The reason you don't take the floor out in a normal car is because they don't come out.
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
sthey told me the only way is the floor, and trans tunnel.

Taking the floor and transmission tunnel significantly simplifies access and visibility, especially to those top bellhousing bolts. You're talking about maybe two dozen screws to take these panels off. won't take more than 15 minutes with a beer in one hand.
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Stealthsr71
Jeff Innes
1991 Defender 110

It’s not that bad. Take the floor and seatbox out than you just lay a 4x4 through the windows and use a come along strap to hoist the trans into the truck to change your parts. Took me 6 hours to do it all and it was 10 days after owning the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1721A03E-4E22-4131-8584-987AED6F76CB_1553114930330.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	414038  
Old March 20th, 2019, 04:12 PM
EricTheRed
Eric
1993 Range Rover

I agree, it's not that difficult at all. I have a 300Tdi, R380. We took the front floor and tunnel out, Way easier. It was only a long job for me because I wanted to clean the transfer case and reseal a leak. Pilot bearing didn't play nice either.
Old March 20th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

I’ll report back.... now which clutch kit do I buy?
Old March 20th, 2019, 10:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
fwiw, sounds like you need a master/slave, not a new clutch.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 21st, 2019, 04:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
Various
Mendicant

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
This.

Old March 25th, 2019, 05:59 AM
ztr5
Zane
85/D90

Agreeing with both the above. Had the same issue about 3 weeks ago. Was sitting in the cold for most of winter. Was just a matter of tightening one screw on the master. Just a thought before you go the hard route.

Also, if you see a bunch of fluid down at your pedal box, could also point to master/slave.
Old March 25th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post

thank you for all the suggestions, how can test to see if itis the MC or Slave? should i replace and see? thank you for your help as always..

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2019 08:52 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztr5 View Post
Agreeing with both the above. Had the same issue about 3 weeks ago. Was sitting in the cold for most of winter. Was just a matter of tightening one screw on the master. Just a thought before you go the hard route.

Also, if you see a bunch of fluid down at your pedal box, could also point to master/slave.

no fluid....just cant get it into the gear, the pedal has movement, the release point is very low when it is engaged..
Old March 25th, 2019, 04:22 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2516

Registry
Quote:
...thank you for all the suggestions, how can test to see if itis the MC or Slave? should i replace and see? thank you for ..
I’ve read though the thread and haven’t heard anything about the color of your clutch fluid. If it’s dark and silty, it’s time to change the MC. Slaves are cheap and easy, so do them both at the same time. Way easier to start there and rule it out. If the fluid is still a nice dot4 color, but low, fill’er up and pump away.
Old March 25th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:
thank you for all the suggestions, how can test to see if itis the MC or Slave? should i replace and see? thank you for your help as always..

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2019 08:52 AM ------

no fluid....just cant get it into the gear, the pedal has movement, the release point is very low when it is engaged..

OK, but are you losing any fluid, is the level dropping and do you need to top it up?
Have you tried bleeding the clutch?
Old March 25th, 2019, 04:40 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2516

Registry
Exactly! Cheap fix hopefully !
Old March 26th, 2019, 09:53 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedrover View Post
OK, but are you losing any fluid, is the level dropping and do you need to top it up?
Have you tried bleeding the clutch?
^^^^
This, or maybe check the adjustment nuts on the master cylinder piston. Just watch a few YouTube videos on defender master cylinders and you will get a pretty good idea on how it all works. There are six screws holding the cover plate on the clutch housing under the hood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions