clutch replacement help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Kdawg97m3
Kristian
1994 D90

Thank you! On it,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2019, 09:04 AM
gwmckee
George
1994 NAS D90 #1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg97m3 View Post
Thank you! On it,,
You may also want to check the clutch fork. There have been instances where they fail. It could be that your master, slave and disc are all fine and the fork just gave up the ghost. I think you can remove the slave cylinder (two bolts) and look in the hole to see if the post on the slave pushed through the fork. This would, in the end, require you to separate the engine and transmission in order to repair.
Old March 29th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Muleskinner

1991 Ex Mod Defender 90 2.5 l Diese

Clutch Slave and Master Cylinder replacement

I just replaced both. It took about three days, but that was because of some rust issues with the housing that holds the clutch master cylinder. I cleaned and painted housing then replaced master cylinder. I could probably do the job in less than a day, but I am 70 and I can not get under the vehicle as easily as I could at 40. The slave cylinder is in a tight place next to exhaust. You will need to move a heat shield that is on the exhaust. But that is not an issue. I attached a ten foot section of clear plastic tubing to the bleed value and drained the old fluid out. then filled the master cylinder with clean fluid. Applied suction to the clear tubing until I saw clean fluid. then secured the bleed value. Job completed. I like dealing with Trevor at Rovah North, he has all the parts you need. Reasonable price and good service.

I have an 1991 Ex MOD Defender 90, RHD with 2.5 L NA Diesel engine. You will need several extensions when removing the slave cylinder. The bottom bolt is removed from underneath the vehicle as well as the hydraulic fitting. The top bolt is removed from the top of the slave cylinder with a ratchet and a long extension (at least 12-14 inches)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions