1999 TD5 Rebuild Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2019, 02:23 PM
sadil
Sarosh Adil
None

1999 TD5 Rebuild Questions

Hello All,

I just took a TD5 out of my 1999 Defender and I am thinking about having it rebuilt. Truck has 240,000 km and I wanted to chip the ECU (Alive Tuning) and get an up-rated Turbo/Intercooler. I wanted to repaint the block as well and get it all looking new. Now I am thinking...if I am doing this much I should rebuild it too. I can have a local shop do some of the machining work that is necessary. My question is regarding anything that will be effected by machining. Are there over-sized parts available? I know I can get all the stock parts still but I am concerned about them machining something and then not having a part available to fit.

Has anyone rebuilt a TD5 motor? Should I avoid rebuilding for any reason?

Sarosh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2019, 07:36 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Should be able to get most everything you need from Turner Engineering. Not sure about oversized parts though.

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/...s-c102x3005634

You may be ahead of the game to just get a remanufactured engine from them (with warranty) and the updated head. Or if you already have the new head, a short block for 1995

Frida Turner is who you want to talk to there.
Old October 19th, 2019, 08:48 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Very jelly. The one and only Td5 I’ve driven was a dream. The response and power of a 4.6V8 but all the sexy of a old girl diesel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2019, 12:30 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Once you chip it, the difference is amazing. Then if you really want to light it up, the variable turbo and uprated intercooler makes it a rocket ship.

Sadil, if you go this route you will have far better results if you have you tune done specifically for the additional components you are changing out, you will get better performance (do the exhaust too, if not the whole thing, remove the center can). I would also highly recommend the uprated exhaust manifold and studs.

https://www.allisport.com/product-ca...ents/manifold/

The stock Td5 manifold has a habit of warping, and going with an uprated turbo it's going to be more prone to that with the additional heat. Nobody enjoyss changing them out and having to drill out broken studs.

In for a penny, in for a pound...
Old October 21st, 2019, 08:19 PM
sadil
Sarosh Adil
None

Thank you for the comments guys.

I am going to remove the head and take a look.

Regarding the upgrade, I am definitely going to be going with anything I can get my hands on to wind her up.

I guess I should need any oversized parts, will have to make sure machine shop knows all the tolerances based on what parts are available! They don’t really see these often in Detroit even though the TD5 was in the Disco.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:29 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
You could reach out to Andrew at Alisport directly regarding your bolt on power. He was directly involved in the original tuning developments of the TD5 when it first came out.

You are talking HUGE power gains.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions