Battery not charging. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Banmj
mark bannon
1981 series 3

Battery not charging.

I have a Series 3 with a 2.5 na. Battery died and I noticed the charge light on dash wasn't coming on when key was turned. Bulb is good. Tested alternator and it is not charging. Would a bad alternator keep the dash charge light from coming on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2018, 01:00 PM
RFD110
Rob Dennis
D90, D90, D110

Also check that there is 12v going to that light with the ignition on.
The circuit that runs through that light is grounded by the alternator, when it isn't charging to turn that light on. It also uses the voltage though to start charging. If you don't have voltage going to the idiot light and thus the D+ post on the alternator, the alternator will not charge.
Old May 6th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes. Most likely a wiring issue.
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Banmj
mark bannon
1981 series 3

I'm getting 12 volts to the idiot light when key is turned on so this means its a grounding issue on alternator?
Old May 6th, 2018, 11:53 PM
RFD110
Rob Dennis
D90, D90, D110

I'd ground the small wire going to the alternator, and if the light comes on (with the ignition on) you need to replace/repair your alternator.
Old May 7th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Banmj
mark bannon
1981 series 3

I grounded the small wire going to the alternator, and the light did come on (with the ignition on).

I took out alternator, opened it up and there was a loose screw that i think had something to do with proper grounding. Put it back together. Put it back in, and everything running good again. Thanks for your help.
Old January 31st, 2019, 10:26 AM
DonQuixote
Mike Shaw
Red 1970 Series IIA 88

Thanks guys !
I might have the same problem. This gives me a place to start (no pun intended).

I do not have a charge light, only the ammeter with a plus 30 and minus 30 and zero in the middle. The needle is always centered. How can I interpret this? With engine running, reading at the battery terminals is 11.67 volts, and car will not start without a jump in this freezing cold weather.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S58_rNdK1lc/XFMTQOsfrdI/AAAAAAAAHZA/K7lJOuHap6YDyijwlSXxWL15gO2b1qMBgCLcBGAs/s640/Dash_600x450.jpg" width="640"

Also - there is a big light bulb in the center of my dash. That is always on no matter what when I turn on the ignition. Is that okay? What does it mean?

Thanks!
Mike Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 31st, 2019, 11:00 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You need to look at what exists. It is rare that these 50+ year old vehicle still have the stock charging system and wiring. The stock system is a dynamo with external voltage regulator. All stuff that does not exist anymore and usually is not repaired, but thrown away and replaced with an alternator. Really you need someone that understands 1950s car electrics and can troubleshoot it in person. Trying to work it out across the internet is extremely painful.

11.67 Volts is a drained battery. There is no charging happening. You need to be over 13 Volts to get any charge at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oa3zfa.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	410126  
Old January 31st, 2019, 11:05 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuixote View Post
Also - there is a big light bulb in the center of my dash. That is always on no matter what when I turn on the ignition. Is that okay? What does it mean?

Thanks!
Mike Shaw
I believe the big bulb is the charge light. You should get a manual.
Old January 31st, 2019, 11:08 AM
Naplm00
M
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

And a voltmeter / multimeter they are about $7
Old January 31st, 2019, 11:10 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, it should be the charge warning light telling you are not getting a charge.
Old January 31st, 2019, 12:28 PM
DonQuixote
Mike Shaw
Red 1970 Series IIA 88

Thanks guys-

I do have the Autobooks workshop manual and the Series II Instruction manual but didn't understand it, and it's starting to make sense, and it's been slow going. The light in the middle is called an "Ignition Warning Light." This light is always on, so I thought, great, all okay. I'm thinking that the Ammeter was telling me that my battery was not charging, but I didn't know how to read it.

Looking at the instruction manual- I finally get it. That is the charging light. It actually says the light appears when the dynamo is not charging or the charging rate is low. It will go out when the engine speed rises. So thanks for pointing me back to the book.

Agreed, that I need to find someone who understands what I've got under the hood, and I'm hoping eventually to be that guy too. Sorry for being slow on the uptake here, but I've already learned a lot in the last six months and I feel like I'll get there eventually.

I appreciate the help you all have given, and especially your patience. With determination, I'm confident I'll get there. I knew when I bought this Land Rover that it was a commitment to a new way of life and learning a whole new set of skills.

Thanks again for all the advice, and I'll let you all know what I find out as I work through this charging problem.

Thanks!
Mike

Old January 31st, 2019, 12:53 PM
rdavisinva
Guess Who?