Speedfit connector, Fuel Tank Removal, Broken Bolt - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old June 23rd, 2019, 07:38 PM
Cmomonkey
Cassidy Moore
1997 NAS D90

Speedfit connector, Fuel Tank Removal, Broken Bolt

I have a NAS defender 90 and I have been trying to get better access to the inside of my bumper to remove a broken bolt. However, I cannot get the speedfit (green) connector on the fuel line to disconnect. I read the tip where you could use a coat hanger and press in but that has not worked at all and I cannot get the thing to budge. Any suggestions? Do I need to buy the LRT-19-002 to make it work?
I was replacing my fuel tank cradle with a galvanized one and one screw on the back bumper broke. I drilled through it and tried to use an extraction bit, but that broke off in it and now I canít get anything out of it or drill through it. I have soaked it in Pb Blaster and it wonít budge. I donít want to have to drill a new hole in the bumper or cradle but I am running out of ideas. Any help is greatly welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2019, 12:10 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmomonkey View Post
I was replacing my fuel tank cradle with a galvanized one and one screw on the back bumper broke. I drilled through it and tried to use an extraction bit, but that broke off in it and now I canít get anything out of it or drill through it. I have soaked it in Pb Blaster and it wonít budge. I donít want to have to drill a new hole in the bumper or cradle but I am running out of ideas. Any help is greatly welcomed.
BTDT. I broke off the bolt and then tried an "easy out", which snapped off. The problem is, the "easy outs" are hardened steel and can't be drilled through with High Speed Steel (HSS) bits.

What I ended up doing is taking my Dremel tool and chucking a small carbide grinding bit into it, and grinding away the remainder of the "easy out" stub. Be careful not to mess up the interior threads of the hole. Once you grind away enough of the bolt remnant in one spot then the pressure holding it in will be relieved; if you try a left-handed drill bit on it, it should come right out.

I've had trouble with those speedfit connectors, too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects