Safety devices roll cage padding - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old April 4th, 2019, 08:18 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

Safety devices roll cage padding

What padding have people used for their roll cage? I got a quote of almost $500 to get the padding for my internal roll cage, which is crazy. I feel like my head would whack the side pretty hard on a side impact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I used universal roll cage padding from Summit Racing. Had to do some trimming to fit around the corners, joints, and bolts, but it looks quite good. Available in bulk, and not very expensive. Will wrap with self vulcanizing rubber tape this summer to see how that looks.
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:05 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
https://www.ogracing.com/car/roll-bar-padding
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...SAAEgL2x_D_BwE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2019, 09:23 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
I bought the Safety Devices padding for my cage. It is just standard high density foam padding that you could get from Summit like down_shift linked. Not sure if it is SFI approved or not. I ended up replacing it with OEM NAS SW padding for my application.

Save your money and get it from Summit etc.
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:34 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I used universal roll cage padding from Summit Racing. Had to do some trimming to fit around the corners, joints, and bolts, but it looks quite good. Available in bulk, and not very expensive. Will wrap with self vulcanizing rubber tape this summer to see how that looks.
Can you post pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 4th, 2019, 09:36 AM
stancey
steven stancey

Summit it is. I feel like there is no way I can put the 360 degree padding on b/c my roll cage sits tight both against the vertical trim parts and the against the headliner. Did you guys use the the C shaped pieces with self adhesive? Also, am I correct that I don't want the SFI stuff? I thought that the SFI stuff is made for use with helmets, which I don't plan on wearing... I guess the question is if I am T-boned, do I want to die quickly with softer padding, or slowly with SFI approved padding.
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST

Registry
I have some original '93 NAS 110 covers if anyone is looking for some. No foam.

I asked Badger to make me up some leather covers to match the Puma seats I upgraded for the '93. So Badger might be another option.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25(sold)
1997 D90 ST #1953
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old April 9th, 2019, 06:31 AM
IndyPat
Pat
93 110 200Tdi

Registry
Good timing, I've been looking at different options for the last few weeks. I just placed an order for the pads from Paddocks yesterday. RBL1727PAD is the item number. It'll be interesting to see how this all works once the headliner and B-pillar trim is re-installed. Also not sure about the seat belt mounting point on the vertical cage support, as that isn't covered by the padding.

I'll keep you posted on my experience once the pads arrive...

Reese- PM sent regarding the covers

Pat
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:30 AM
IndyPat
Pat
93 110 200Tdi

Registry
The safety devices padding arrived yesterday. It's simple stuff, just a high density foam that's black and has embossed "safety devices" in a couple spots. And there's PLENTY of it. There are 4 pieces, and single piece pretty much spans the width of the interior cage bar. It just slips over and they include zip-ties to hold it in place. I haven't started the install yet, but it's pretty straight forward with a few cuts to make some shorter sections to cover the top of the vertical supports.

Shipping was great, and everything is in order.
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:48 AM
stancey
steven stancey

I ordered some of the Longacre stuff from Summit. It is made for 1.5-1.75" bar and fit great.....however it has raised logos every 4" that looked horrible. I sent it back and am going to order the jaz products padding to see how that goes. FYI, I checked the summit universal padding specs and it only goes up to 1.5" bar. I believe the vertical bars on the internal roll cage are 1.75". I'll let you guys know how the Jaz stuff fits. I was told by them not to order the SFI approved stuff -b/c that is made for helmets. The non-sfi is softer and more forgiving if my mellon hits it.
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:55 AM
IndyPat
Pat
93 110 200Tdi

Registry
Cool, good luck! The Safety Devices padding has a single embossed logo, about 12 inches in from either side. It's pretty low key stuff, but would definitely look better with some sort of cover.
Because it's made specifically for the internal cage on the Defender, I'm assuming it's more melon-rated than helmet-rated, but who knows I can tell you that it is pretty soft, and easy to cut. It's basically a dense rubber material.

Here's to never needing to find out whether or not it's important to have padding on our internal roll cages...
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:56 AM
stancey
steven stancey

Agreed...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects