Replacing Lower c pillars or just weld patch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 27th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Adog
Brian
None

Replacing Lower c pillars or just weld patch

Afternoon all,

I am getting ready to replace both sills to galv and I and trying to decide what to do on c pillar

Last night I removed body section to get a better look at pillars .As you can see below is it the last few inches where rust has taken hold

I like the idea of replacing everything with Galv that I can while I am at it. The b pillars are sound and in good shape as well as bulkhead.

I assume that you have to take the entire c pillar out to separate the lower angled section from the top. I saw a tutorial on replacing bottom section on Yrm on doing this.

How difficult is this and is it just the spot welds to the sill and the rivets as well as bolts holding the entire c pillar on the truck. I would rather replace lower section than trying to patch honestly ...

I saw where Doug recommended to pull the entire t section out and weld ( I donít have that much confidence in my skills at this point)

I figure I would build a templet to match to existing angles and use with new metal sections and then remove sill and replace with new galv sill. Remove c pillar separate and rebuild using templet. And spot weld c pillar and to sill locations.

Any pointers .. getting ready to purchase Yrm galv materials

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
c pilar is part of the sill- its all one piece from the bulkhead back. You have no choice but to dive in man

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Adog
Brian
None

So you are saying B needs to come out as well

I thought I could remove spot welds save the tabs and re-weld

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

The whole thing needs to come out. You can cut, clean and weld in place too but you won't be able to do as clean of a job as you would by removing it. Check the sill rails, they ight be on their way out as well.
I did it on my truck, but mine were in a much worse shape than yours (https://www.defendersource.com/forum...tml#post777831).

You will reuse the tabs on the B-post. The back flap will give you trouble, though, very hard to remove those spot welds from behind, again, I know, because that's what I did - I removed one of the sill rails while keeping B-posts attached. I didn't bother for the second one - removed the whole panel first. I tacked everything back in place, and then still removed the entire panel off for final welding. Make sure you template everything before you start dismantling.

Unless you're good with a welder/grinder and are doing the work yourself, I'd recommend just getting complete HDG replacement pieces. There was a recent discussion about this topic here in the last couple of weeks, and RN seemed to have a deal on the whole panels. Patching it will just prolong the agony.
Old March 27th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Adog
Brian
None

Just spoke with local defender owner here and explained what yíall are saying.. I am a little slow at times....

So is the Yrm 3 piece kit good?

Mike (local owner) suggested The process would pull the entire side frame support the roof - use as templet for new 3 piece kit and have welder rebuild then have it galvanized .... RN at 1800 is crazy $$

I guess I could rebuild/ galv my existing pillars using newly build kit as templet and save for next build donít tell wife ...

One sill is bad the other isnít that bad and prob could be repaired

Thanks all for spending my $$

Thanks mike for call ...

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2019 04:22 PM ------

Thanks Vedrover ! Btw followed you post on this ... def donít have the skills you have !

Old March 27th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We repair and galv them regularly. If you check UK prices RN is right in line on Genuine. I havent seen the new YRM erector set yet but these control how your truck fits togecther. I would definitely not disconnect the b pilar from the sill, my .02

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 27th, 2019, 06:04 PM
Adog
Brian
None

Replacing Lower c pillars or just weld patch

One bottom sill is really bad ... the other one is heading that way .. I was thinking I would have put in all new ... since bottoms are bad and Lower c pillar are bad

Old March 27th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Miket961
Mike
92 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedrover View Post
(https://www.defendersource.com/forum...tml#post777831).

Unless you're good with a welder/grinder and are doing the work yourself...

That is what I dream of doing...or borrow you for a few days

Old March 27th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Adog
Brian
None

Hopefully when Miket961 helps me remove the whole panel(s) I can get it repaired and save some $$ !!

For now I am going to cut off the lip so I can get the sill thresholds on ...

Old March 27th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
cut the p shaped metal lip off, drill out the rivets for the rubber seals on the sills if they are even still there, and use the tdci type lower door seals when you go back together

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects