ministry of defender AC units? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 19th, 2019, 10:26 AM
headdamage
Andrew
Exmil 90 & 110, RRC 200tdi

That is a very attractive kit, the concept of adding AC to my old exmil 90 is mind blowing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2019, 12:00 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

Curious how well this does when you aren't adding the puma dashboard. That would just leave demister and leg vents, nothing that you can point at your body at least my webasto unit can point the vents into my general area. I emailed them some questions about if the air intake on top of the wing is being removed and venting if you don't plan on upgrading to the puma dash.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old September 19th, 2019, 12:05 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Part of the reason I invested in a lower dash bit was for the vents and additional fan, this looks interesting for sure! There do seem to be an abundance of kits for defenders and AC right now. My only concern at the moment is leg room with the underdash setup, anyone offer any insight on if its dramatic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2019, 01:39 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

I met Johnathan in June when I was back. He's a good guy and has put a lot of effort into the design. We plan to start installing in all our trucks. His operation is in Lincoln where the Cool Air Logan place is. The box does sit in a pretty hostile environment especially on a 200tdi with a bigger turbo. Some sort of extra heat shield is probably in order when installing.
Old September 19th, 2019, 02:24 PM
stancey
steven stancey

I'm wondering if you can keep the lower unit and just plumb in the other unit. Dual / single zone ac. I'm pretty sure my ls would be under 10mpg with that upgrade...

Old September 21st, 2019, 03:39 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

Put that kit on a military 110. I was very impressed with it. We just vented one through the mud console with rotating vents tied into the lower dash. Should work great.
Old October 4th, 2019, 10:08 PM
BXL'D
Dane
1992 110 200TDi

Interested to see how this pans out for others. Looks like an intriguing design!
Old October 4th, 2019, 10:45 PM
FRM
ROGERS MASSON
62 Series iia 109 w/200tdi

Hello everyone, I purchased their ac/heat unit a few months back and will be installing fairly soon. I'll be dropping it in to my 62 Series iia 109, so the dash/etc. will be funky, but I like a challenge. Will be sure to post pictures along the way. Also, for the record, had great interactions with the owner and staff. Very helpful, responsive, and are doing a lot of cool work.
Old October 5th, 2019, 07:13 AM
scrubs
henery

FRM,
PM sent
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65

Registry
I looked at this for a while .... basically it doesnt appear to pull in external air but recirculates air from the cabin via a hole cut in the top of the footwell.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:55 PM
One Ten
Sam
1997 NAS BR110

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I looked at this for a while .... basically it doesnt appear to pull in external air but recirculates air from the cabin via a hole cut in the top of the footwell.
You are correct
Old October 5th, 2019, 06:55 PM
LiquidMoose

1989 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I noticed this as well, but don't understand the ramifications, is using recirculated air not a good thing to do?
Old October 17th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Uk4x4fan
Tom Bache
1990 90 SW

Registry
As a followup to a previous comment, why does the lower dash in the Defender (LHD) get so hot? Thought it was just mine. Thought maybe the lower dash is toast inside. Heater valve closed manually, fan is off and still get quite a draft of warm air. Only when moving...

Tom
Old October 17th, 2019, 08:08 PM
stancey
steven stancey

I have been chasing that for months. I'm actually going to buy an evap smoke machine bc it's really pissing me off. I can tape off the wing vent and still get warm air blowing in through the vents when truck moving. It's either the seal between heater box / bulkhead or a Venturi effect when going at speed and air leaking out somewhere else, then getting sucked in somewhere around the heater???

Old October 17th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Naplm00
M
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancey View Post
I have been chasing that for months. I'm actually going to buy an evap smoke machine bc it's really pissing me off. I can tape off the wing vent and still get warm air blowing in through the vents when truck moving. It's either the seal between heater box / bulkhead or a Venturi effect when going at speed and air leaking out somewhere else, then getting sucked in somewhere around the heater???

Plenum door is supposed to be covered in closed cell foam and this foam also acts as a seal when the door is shut. Yours has probably turned into dust
Old October 17th, 2019, 09:49 PM
stancey
steven stancey

My box is essentially new. Pulled it apart, painted it, new foam inside, sealed, etc... With the intake taped off, I'm still pulling warm air through vents at speed. My guess is bulkhead heater seal has small gap, which is sucking in hot engine air when moving. I believe this is called the Venturi effect. It must be all the million little air gaps I have throughout the body, causing this.

Old October 17th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Naplm00
M
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Yep probably the 9 million other tiny holes then

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects