Media blaster for home garage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 15th, 2019, 11:59 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Media blaster for home garage?

Hello Defenders world..

Anyone tinker with home garage media blasters? Finding some online that hold parts probably 2 feet by 2 feet.. for $200-300 then cost of sand.

Anyone purchase one in the past that could recommend one perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2019, 12:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
Various
Mendicant

Registry
The compressor is the big-ticket item. I’ve never had an easy or quick blasting experience with a home unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 15th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yep. The problem is you need a big compressor to run a blaster than does anything useful.
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2019, 09:15 PM
RustCollector
Andy MacInnis
S3 88 '73

And dust collection. You can fill your garage with fine abrasive and paint dust in no time at all. Not to mention your lungs.

Pro machines are quite good, but also quite spendy. Cheap ones are disappointing at best.
Old June 15th, 2019, 10:02 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Media blaster for home garage?

I have the large HF cabinet and it does well. My 60 gallon compressor does work overtime if Iím doing a lot of parts. Eastwood has a scroll compressor thatís very quite at 63db and it has a 100% duty cycle so it can keep up with heavy usage, but itís expensive. For dust I run my shop vac through a water filter. It keeps dust to a min bug I still wear a mask.

Also, make sure you have a drier on the line. Any moisture will create problems with the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old June 16th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Stealthsr71
Jeff Innes
1991 Defender 110

Check out Harbor freight unit. It’s dirt cheap. Then YouTube Harbor Freight modifications and you will see what guys have done for just a few extra bucks and makes a huge difference. There is also a dust cyclone thing for a 5 gallon bucket and you use a shop vac for sucking dust. The cyclone draws it all in the 5 gal bracket instead of your vacuum. I have had great success. I also run a modified 60 gal harbor freight air compressor.
Old June 16th, 2019, 01:55 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
How did you modify the air compressor?
Old June 16th, 2019, 04:44 PM
Stealthsr71
Jeff Innes
1991 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderholty View Post
How did you modify the air compressor?
I put oil cooler on the back by the fan belt. You run the air through it and a water separator prior to going in the tank. Takes the heat and moisture out and it just keeps things cooler.
Old June 16th, 2019, 08:00 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Sorry for the hijack but has anyone messed with Vapor honing? Thinking of modifying an HF cabinet to do some wet glass bead blasting. A vapor blasted finish is impressive.

Old June 17th, 2019, 06:30 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
There's nothing that you can do with blasting that you cannot do (far cheaper) with chemicals. Blast cabinets are great for speed, so if you are in a hurry, blast it. If you can wait 24-48 hours while it soaks, then use chemicals.
You can also do very very well with electrolytic removal. A little slower than blasting but far faster than chemical stripping. For this you need a solution of epsom salt, a power supply and a couple steel anodes. zap zap! no rust!
One gallon of Phosphoric Acid in a 50 gallon tub makes a very effective derusting solution. If you're worried about the pets and kids getting into it, use citric acid instead and use two gallons.
For paint and grease stripping, nothing is as effective as lye. A strong lye solution does the trick, but powerwash first.before soaking.

My 5 gallon bucket has phosphoric acid solution. I can drop 20-30 pounds of rusty nuts, bolts, etc in there in the morning and by mid afternoon they're completely derusted and ready to go on to plating with zero labor on my part.

Phosphoric acid is a food additive, so it can go down the drain. Not a hazmat. Ditto lye.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88
1965 2A 88
1971 RRC
1989 RRC

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 18th, 2019, 08:46 PM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Thank you all.. gonna try the chemical route and see how it goes
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:54 AM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
There's nothing that you can do with blasting that you cannot do (far cheaper) with chemicals. Blast cabinets are great for speed, so if you are in a hurry, blast it. If you can wait 24-48 hours while it soaks, then use chemicals.
You can also do very very well with electrolytic removal. A little slower than blasting but far faster than chemical stripping. For this you need a solution of epsom salt, a power supply and a couple steel anodes. zap zap! no rust!
One gallon of Phosphoric Acid in a 50 gallon tub makes a very effective derusting solution. If you're worried about the pets and kids getting into it, use citric acid instead and use two gallons.
For paint and grease stripping, nothing is as effective as lye. A strong lye solution does the trick, but powerwash first.before soaking.

My 5 gallon bucket has phosphoric acid solution. I can drop 20-30 pounds of rusty nuts, bolts, etc in there in the morning and by mid afternoon they're completely derusted and ready to go on to plating with zero labor on my part.

Phosphoric acid is a food additive, so it can go down the drain. Not a hazmat. Ditto lye.
That is good info. Sounds cheaper than the chemicals that I just discovered. Naval Jelly works well for rust inhibition. If my memory serves me correctly it is phosphoric acid in some kind of gel.
Old July 24th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Ibrouting

cheap and quick

I made this one I found on Youtube and run it on my 60gallon compressor at about 80PSI and it works great. You need to fiddle around with the media (fine or coarse) and the PSI to get it just right, but it works wonders for smaller parts. Biggest thing I have done is a brake caliper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores