Alpine vs. Chamonix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 31st, 2019, 01:58 AM
RIDefender
Dan
1990 90 Van

I’m getting ready to have my 89 Perentie 110 repainted in white. I have two questions (more like I’m looking for opinions).
First, Alpine or Chamonix White?
Second, the truck has quite a few small dents, which I’m having most taken out, but I’m considering going with a matte finish to help hide some imperfections. I rarely if ever wax any of my trucks, so that’s not an issue for me if I go matte. Is there any other negative to it?

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2019, 06:00 AM
Pragueprado
Clive
1995 ROW 110

Registry
Color aside, I always feel like a new paint job over a body that still needs work makes a vehicle look worse than just leaving it as is. I'd get the body done right, then do the paint. Just my two cents, anyway.
Old May 31st, 2019, 07:17 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
I am not a fan of white on any car with maybe a few exceptions. Old Land Rovers fall in that category but I still lean more to Chamonix. My truck is Ivory and I like it enough that I am not sure what color I would paint it whenever I get around to getting it painted.

How are you fixing the imperfections? DIY or is the paint shop doing it?

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2019, 07:36 AM
RIDefender
Dan
1990 90 Van

I agree on the dent repairs. I have discussed at great lengths with my body guy the extent to which I want the a body repaired. I don't think there will be anything really that noticeable, but I think the matte finish will hide some imperfections that he cant really do anything about. This is an ex military truck and will not be a show truck by any means. It will be nice, but not a trailer queen.
Old May 31st, 2019, 08:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
Builder of custom Defenders
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We had a perentie painted a gloss Alpine white for a forum member and had a lot of the external detail pieces re-galvanized to give it more of a series appearance.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 31st, 2019, 09:00 AM
Pragueprado
Clive
1995 ROW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDefender View Post
I agree on the dent repairs. I have discussed at great lengths with my body guy the extent to which I want the a body repaired. I don't think there will be anything really that noticeable, but I think the matte finish will hide some imperfections that he cant really do anything about. This is an ex military truck and will not be a show truck by any means. It will be nice, but not a trailer queen.
I notice you're in RI - did you pick this up from the guy on Jamestown? Is he still there? Used to have a place behind a gas station on the main road as you go into town, always had 5 or 6 ex-MOD LRs back there. My brother almost bought one 20 years ago but the back bed was eaten away by battery acid for some reason.
Old May 31st, 2019, 09:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
Builder of custom Defenders
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
https://www.defendersource.com/forum...post1919338738

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 31st, 2019, 09:43 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Quote:
Iím getting ready to have my 89 Perentie 110 repainted in white. I have two questions (more like Iím looking for opinions).
First, Alpine or Chamonix White?
Second, the truck has quite a few small dents, which Iím having most taken out, but Iím considering going with a matte finish to help hide some imperfections. I rarely if ever wax any of my trucks, so thatís not an issue for me if I go matte. Is there any other negative to it?

Thanks
Dan
White any shade, is a wonderful color for showing rusty drips, eg door hinge bolts.
Old June 1st, 2019, 07:42 PM
RIDefender
Dan
1990 90 Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragueprado View Post
Quote:
I notice you're in RI - did you pick this up from the guy on Jamestown? Is he still there? Used to have a place behind a gas station on the main road as you go into town, always had 5 or 6 ex-MOD LRs back there. My brother almost bought one 20 years ago but the back bed was eaten away by battery acid for some reason.

I think you’re referring to Rover Special Vehicles. He used to be in Jamestown and is now up in Exeter, RI. I did not buy my truck from him, but from another member here in the forum.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 06:50 AM
RIDefender
Dan
1990 90 Van

Is this Chamonix white?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE465876-9FE0-4730-A6F4-0DA0CF933E8F_1559476209788.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	419942  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores