'97 D90 LE Refurb - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old July 31st, 2019, 09:44 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Those seats look great!!!

Nice solution on the pivot bits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2019, 01:33 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Cleaned-up carpeting and rebuilt seats installed. I replaced the ratty-looking galvanized threshold with a brushed stainless steel one from RN (comes with new seal, too).

Got the MUD UK rear door trim mostly installed as well (still need to install the grab bar). As everyone else has said, it's a real pain to install. If I was to do it again I'd look at the Britpart card that Mike @ Brittanica Restorations has talked about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7998.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	424270
Old August 24th, 2019, 10:54 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

This afternoon's little project: The ladder on the Safari Rack blocks the right side of the license plate. I just got my first-ever custom plate, so I built a bracket out of a couple of pieces of acrylic to shift the plate a bit to the left (I had a scrap of 9 mm acrylic sheet lying around).. It also has the advantage of doing a better job of centering the plate under the light.

Name:	IMG_8307.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	426722

Name:	licensePlate.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	426724

Name:	IMG_8309.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	426726
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2019, 02:30 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Turn signal wiring. I had a few things to deal with:

1. I didn't want to hack up any of the original wiring. I did some of that in the past (e.g., Scotchlok connectors); I've been removing and repairing all of them. Not doing that again.

2. All of the turn indicators are now LED. An LED-compatible flasher fixes the fast-flash issue. But with no incandescent bulbs in the system, there's another issue: there's a sneak path through the dash-mounted turn indicator, such that not only do the intended turn indicators light up, but the other side indicators also light up, albeit at a lower intensity. This is because Land Rover engineers thought they could be clever and save $0.04-$0.05 on a couple of diodes, but they assumed current draw in the various bulbs that is no longer true in the LED era.

Bolt-On-Bits sells a fancy, fragile-looking-and expensive dash indicator light that incorporates the diodes and fixes the issue, with an additional ground connector needed. Not a path I wanted to go down. I ran some calculations and figured that a relatively high-resistance load resistor (27 ohms) would cause enough current draw to fix the "sneak path" issue. These would use a lot less power, and get less hot, than the 6 ohm load resistors that are sold to obviate the need for the LED-compatible flasher relay.

3. I plan to install an ARB front bumper with integrated turn indicators, and needed a way to hook them up.

So I made up a couple of these harnesses. I based them on the Mud UK breakout harness with the Econoseal connectors to connect into the existing indicator lights; I bought these lest year and now I'd just try to buy the Econoseals individually. I spliced in a Weatherpak connector for eventual hookup to the ARB; also included is the 27 ohm 25 watt resistor. Even at the lower power draw the resistor still gets quite warm, so I mounted them to a metal panel underneath the headlamp unit.

Name:	IMG_7812.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	426736
Old August 25th, 2019, 12:47 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Looking great Barry, fantastic work!

The headliner re-trim looks perfect.

The silver powder coating on the chequer plate is a clever solution and looks really good, and will last for ages.
Old September 9th, 2019, 12:07 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

The truck was well-received at this weekend's Portland All-British Field Meet. After all that work, and the kinda crappy 10 months I've had personally since my accident, it was very nice to get some recognition.

The GM at JLR Portland said I could just turn the rig back to them and they'd refund the purchase price I paid them 22 years ago; I graciously declined.

Name:	IMG_8326.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	428128

Name:	IMG_8346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	428130
Old September 9th, 2019, 12:25 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2516

Registry
Well done, Barry! So sad we missed it this year. Congrats 😉
Old September 9th, 2019, 03:41 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

You know, this was only my second ABFM I've been to (last year being the 1st), and the first one I camped both nights. In years past I've heard about this event and thought a little bit "what's the point of going", but this is soooo much fun. Especially the LR community where so many just hang out with our rigs and camp when the rest of the marques disappear. SO COOL that LR people arrange for British car-themed movies to be played on the field both nights; they add so much to having a great evening. If you don't attend you don't know what you're missing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores