Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 19th, 2019, 10:14 PM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Just how bad are your cataracts?
Haha..I'm guessing by your answer its looks only..Same was said about D3, history repeats itself every few years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2019, 02:03 AM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Tusk level of camo is hitting the streets of UK.

Fake ridge on hip line under windows removed, hip line pops out like current defender, maybe a little more.

Is it just me or does it look like lights near where the "coolers" should be?

@skirrats on Instagram: “ #newdefender #landroverdefender #carspotted #4x4 #iconic”

Old June 20th, 2019, 02:51 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrangie View Post
Haha..I'm guessing by your answer its looks only..Same was said about D3, history repeats itself every few years.

You know it is possible for a car company to build something most people love right out the gate?

The D3 still looks like a minivan from the rear. The D5 hasn't wowed it's intended audience as sales levels aren't great. Even fan boys go through torturous contortions to say how they like the D5 styling, particularly the rear.

When the Defender goes to launch, I expect Mercedes to take a stab at it after the LR exec made such public comments. The easiest thing to say will be have fun finding your Defender in the parking lot. It's just another SUV.
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2019, 03:00 AM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
You know it is possible for a car company to build something most people love right out the gate?

The D3 still looks like a minivan from the rear. The D5 hasn't wowed it's intended audience as sales levels aren't great. Even fan boys go through torturous contortions to say how they like the D5 styling, particularly the rear.

When the Defender goes to launch, I expect Mercedes to take a stab at it after the LR exec made such public comments. The easiest thing to say will be have fun finding your Defender in the parking lot. It's just another SUV.
Easy for you and me to make something that everyone will love in the back shed too,doesn't mean it will function, be safe or be efficient

They sell more D5's (LR5s) then they ever did defenders so if you want to use sales to judge a car what does that say about the current (-2016) defender? Im not saying that just following your logic.

When people finally understood why the D3 looked the way it did, they came around.

Look into why the D5 looks the way it does

Heres a start.

– New Land Rover Discovery VP at FKFS wind tunnel (left) and CFD model... | Download Scientific Diagram

Then look at 5 star safety ratings and what is involved to achieve.

They had to fit 7 adults in.

They made it one of the worlds best if not the best ALL terrain 4x4s.

Imo its better looking than the comparible competitions offerings both from the front, rear and sides.

Front bar plus muddies and a RWC it will look great..look at new Nissan patrols how they transform with front and rear barwork and some tyres.

Im holding out for the new defender, but I still respect the D5 for what its unmatched versatility.

YouTube

YouTube

Old June 20th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

You had to throw the Lexus GX/Toyota LC Prado in there.....Good tow vehicle for my 90. They are on my radar screen for next year's car purchase when I hand my current DD down to the kid.

Overall this thread and the bitchin in it is going to look so silly in three or so months when the real thing is released.
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:57 AM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
You had to throw the Lexus GX/Toyota LC Prado in there.....Good tow vehicle for my 90. They are on my radar screen for next year's car purchase when I hand my current DD down to the kid.

Overall this thread and the bitchin in it is going to look so silly in three or so months when the real thing is released.
Correct, Prado was put it in there as a style reference, nothing beats the D5 for towing due to the air, but prados are good too

Old June 20th, 2019, 06:01 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Not really bitching, it actually used to be a good and entertaining thread until Blackrangie began his spamming campaign. He is a spammer, most likely payed, but completely annoying nonetheless. In fact l bet of the last 20/25 posts probably half are from him. This is the only thread he posts on. He’s a paid spammer and as such should be banned.
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:05 AM
DrZ123
Zach
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Not really bitching, it actually used to be a good and entertaining thread until Blackrangie began his spamming campaign. He is a spammer, most likely payed, but completely annoying nonetheless. In fact l bet of the last 20/25 posts probably half are from him. This is the only thread he posts on. He’s a paid spammer and as such should be banned.

I've said this before and don't want to get in the way of your little temper tantrum, but Rangie seems to be one of the only ones providing new info on the D2020

He post photos and insight scoured from the internet, which I personally don't have time to search for myself.

Not sure how that's spamming...
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:11 AM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Dont worry mate, people that attack people rather than discuss facts are water off a daddy ducks back mate

Old June 20th, 2019, 07:41 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:

Enlighten us. My own opinion is this may be a great D5 alternative, but not a Defender. What's arriving in the coming months that is substantially different than what's seen here?
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:17 AM
User Name
User
NAS D90 '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
I really like it. I think once the camo is off, headlights are round, fender/bonnet area is Defender shapped, alpine windows it's going to look good. Defender meets LR3. For my usage, highway/interstate driving to get off road, it's a better fit.

https://www.motor1.com/news/352823/l...-kenya-teaser/

Yea, second this point. The tech upgrades are more inline with what Jeep did with the Gladiator and what I expect from a new vehicle. Once all the fake lines come off, it’s going to look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
He posts in the LS thread too— and I don’t mind that at all. Matter of fact, if it was just there I’d be very alright with him and contributions. I don’t mind some of his pictorial contributions and releases here either. But the incessant “counter-point” to everyone’s comments here lead to the insincerity and “spammer/paid” comments that you are referring to and really lessen both this thread and my ability to take him seriously. His constant counterpoints for someone that “hasn’t seen it” crushes enjoying his contributions to me. It’s a bummer really— Most all his posts this year on the AULRO Forum in Australia where I frequently go are in their “won’t be retro” thread similar to this one. His impartiality has been completely lost for me and I can point to this thread as evidence. I’m not opposed to the new Defender and I wish it well. I made my preference extremely clear when I went ahead and purchased a 1991 D110 in lieu of waiting. I just wish we could allow others to have their opinions without him offering a counterpoint to any criticism that others say.
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Quote:
Correct, Prado was put it in there as a style reference, nothing beats the D5 for towing due to the air, but prados are good too

Prado in the Lexis GX lux version have Air suspension as well...
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:43 AM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
He posts in the LS thread too— and I don’t mind that at all. Matter of fact, if it was just there I’d be very alright with him and contributions. I don’t mind some of his pictorial contributions and releases here either. But the incessant “counter-point” to everyone’s comments here lead to the insincerity and “spammer/paid” comments that you are referring to and really lessen both this thread and my ability to take him seriously. His constant counterpoints for someone that “hasn’t seen it” crushes enjoying his contributions to me. It’s a bummer really— Most all his posts this year on the AULRO Forum in Australia where I frequently go are in their “won’t be retro” thread similar to this one. His impartiality has been completely lost for me and I can point to this thread as evidence. I’m not opposed to the new Defender and I wish it well. I made my preference extremely clear when I went ahead and purchased a 1991 D110 in lieu of waiting. I just wish we could allow others to have their opinions without him offering a counterpoint to any criticism that others say.
I love it how you talk about me like i am not here, imagine someone doing that around a campfire, they wouldn't last long.

Counterpoints are the whole premise of forums and discussions being had between humans.
No respecting someone's else's opinion is another thing and is wrong.

If someone says pre 2015 defenders are rubbish and look like suzukis, I'm sure we would see many counterpoints

And yes you have done your homework, I'm on other threads here and the AU forum that I've referred too about 100 times on this thread.

This is a forum, and this is a thread on "new defender news" I suggest if you dont like it counterpoints or new defender news, simply unsubscribe, or block away.

------ Follow up post added June 20th, 2019 02:51 PM ------

Quote:
Prado in the Lexis GX lux version have Air suspension as well...
Niice, first ive heard, is it all 4 corners?

Might be called the kakadu in OZ, I know the towing capacity and wading is a fair bit lower than D5.

Old June 20th, 2019, 10:27 AM
80sailor
Tripp
1979 Series III 88 (ex-MOD)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post

I've been watching this thread for a bit. Entertaining, to say the least.

I actually own a D5. I also owned a D2 in the past.

When the Disco was first launched and with each subsequent iteration, the design has never been well received by the public. It has, however, always grown on people. Myself included.

I find this to be the case with the D5. I really didn't like it at first. I still don't particularly like the rear design. However, (and only time will tell) I think the profile of the vehicle will become as iconic as those before it. Subtle design cues separate it from the competition and give it a premium look. The slightly elongated hood. The specific forward sweep of the C pillar.

As with most Discos, it's when they begin hitting the secondary market that they start to shine. People start using them to their capability and outfitting them in ways that build on their aesthetic.

Last thing I'll say is that I drive the crap out of my D5. Three or four times a year I drive from Texas to Georgia, South Carolina or Virginia. It has been the most comfortable long distance vehicle I've ever owned. Through storms, snow, high winds and heat. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
2000 Discovery II (sold)
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:39 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Maybe, someday, I may like the new Disco and Disco Sport, but not right now. It looks like most cars on the road, and that off-set License Plate is terrible.

To me, the new Defender looks too much like the LR3/4 without the stepped roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post
I've been watching this thread for a bit. Entertaining, to say the least.

I actually own a D5. I also owned a D2 in the past.

When the Disco was first launched and with each subsequent iteration, the design has never been well received by the public. It has, however, always grown on people. Myself included.

I find this to be the case with the D5. I really didn't like it at first. I still don't particularly like the rear design. However, (and only time will tell) I think the profile of the vehicle will become as iconic as those before it. Subtle design cues separate it from the competition and give it a premium look. The slightly elongated hood. The specific forward sweep of the C pillar.

As with most Discos, it's when they begin hitting the secondary market that they start to shine. People start using them to their capability and outfitting them in ways that build on their aesthetic.

Last thing I'll say is that I drive the crap out of my D5. Three or four times a year I drive from Texas to Georgia, South Carolina or Virginia. It has been the most comfortable long distance vehicle I've ever owned. Through storms, snow, high winds and heat. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Old June 20th, 2019, 12:10 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Quote:
I love it how you talk about me like i am not here, imagine someone doing that around a campfire, they wouldn't last long.

Counterpoints are the whole premise of forums and discussions being had between humans.

If someone says pre 2015 defenders are rubbish and look like suzukis, I'm sure we would see many counterpoints

And yes you have done your homework, I'm on other threads here and the AU forum that I've referred too about 100 times on this thread.

This is a forum, and this is a thread on "new defender news" I suggest if you dont like it counterpoints or new defender news, simply unsubscribe, or block away.

------ Follow up post added June 20th, 2019 02:51 PM ------

Niice, first ive heard, is it all 4 corners?

Might be called the kakadu in OZ, I know the towing capacity and wading is a fair bit lower than D5.

Am I the only one who's starting to get this creepy feeling?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	421394  
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:13 PM
80sailor
Tripp
1979 Series III 88 (ex-MOD)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Am I the only one who's starting to get this creepy feeling?

Yes?
2000 Discovery II (sold)
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:22 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I agree with 80sailor - the D5 is one of the most comfortable road cars I've ever owned. We went on a 2500 mile trip from Atlanta to upstate New York last month and averaged 27 mpg over the entire trip. That included a lot of running around town in the small village that my wife is from and exploring the back roads in the western Catskills. This thing just eats miles and gets over 30 mpg on the highway (on diesel). The engine is pretty much silent at highway speeds and the car swallows the two of us, our dog, an Engel fridge and all of the stuff we require on a two week trip with ease. The torque of the diesel is extremely satisfying and why these things aren't selling better is puzzling. The rear end isn't that great looking but you can't see that from the driver's seat...

I am looking forward to picking up a new Defender early next year. I've got a deposit on one already and I like what I've seen so far in the pictures in this thread. I will keep my older Defender and the two Series IIA's that share the driveway with the Discovery and if the new Defender is as good at the daily transportation job as the D5 is it should be a tremendous success.

I was up under the D5 the other day installing some new brake pads and the suspension on the new Discovery is very much improved over my old LR3. The parking brake actuators are incorporated into the rear calipers instead of the tunnel mounted abomination that failed with an eerie screech on the older trucks.
Old June 20th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

Quote:

You don't listen, so by very nature I talk as if you are not here. It has been commented on many times and still you persist. It appears that no one except you can have their own opinion without you chiming in with your incessant drivel. If you would just ease up, you wouldn't be taken for as such a complete tool. But alas, that point has been made in the past and you have insisted on making your own bed. I am insulted by the audacity in which you have tried to fully take over this entire thread and, at your request and admission, desired to have this thread turned over to you and only you for your own posts and no one elses even though you were not the original poster. It has been requested by the OP that you start your own thread instead of rudely taken over his--so by all accounts, if you don't like my comments, you can block me. You and I won't miss each other at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender, news