New Defender News - Page 105 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:50 PM
NWDiesel110s
Mike
1995 Disco SE7 5 spd

Registry
I guess I have to face the fact the LR has two types of customers/fans. The Defender/Series/early Discovery/RRC group, and the others wanting the sleekest, most luxurious, fastest machines. I love old school Rovers, but these new models, including the new Defender I just don’t accept. I’m sure it is better in many ways like comfort. But I don’t want an automatic only transmission, nor all the extra electronic stuff, nor only a petrol only (or maybe electric) engine options in North America? Why take your iconic, flagship model and make such drastic changes? Could not they modified the old Defender to make the best of the best? Even Chrysler kept the Wrangler, even if not what it used to be. It’s real sad more LR are now seen in NYC and in their suburban playgrounds than running free in the mountains and deserts. I guess I got to wake up to the new reality some day. In the meanwhile, the only money LR will get out of me is for genuine Defender parts if I can’t source it from others first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2019, 11:20 PM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDiesel110s View Post
I guess I have to face the fact the LR has two types of customers/fans. The Defender/Series/early Discovery/RRC group, and the others wanting the sleekest, most luxurious, fastest machines. I love old school Rovers, but these new models, including the new Defender I just don’t accept. I’m sure it is better in many ways like comfort. But I don’t want an automatic only transmission, nor all the extra electronic stuff, nor only a petrol only (or maybe electric) engine options in North America? Why take your iconic, flagship model and make such drastic changes? Could not they modified the old Defender to make the best of the best? Even Chrysler kept the Wrangler, even if not what it used to be. It’s real sad more LR are now seen in NYC and in their suburban playgrounds than running free in the mountains and deserts. I guess I got to wake up to the new reality some day. In the meanwhile, the only money LR will get out of me is for genuine Defender parts if I can’t source it from others first.
Good comment, current defenders will still have their place and will still be valued.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:54 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENI View Post
Apparently that registration is for an electric/hybrid vehicle.
Loads of stuff on def2 forum.

The photo shopped SWB looks...

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2019, 09:29 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan76 View Post

how do you get in/out with that LONG door? never be able to use a parking space lol

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.
I voted to leave the EU, not a deal.
JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 2hundie 5 speed
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
94 RRC County swb
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:37 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

Quote:

Come on, it's just a door with 2 wheels, like a Smart for Two, the Photoshopper chopped a bit too much off of a LWB...

Eh, call it a year of disappointment - first GoT now JLR...
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:06 AM
Vedrover
Alex
1988 Land Rover 110

OK, must be that the weather is getting better and I'm less grumpy, but I'm gonna hold off on my further negativity until the unveil date. After all, this was the Disco 1 prototype in 1986 (looks a lot like 1st Gen Grand Cherokee, doesn't it?) and they managed to make it look and perform much better in the end, hope, there's still hope for the new Defender after all:

Old May 21st, 2019, 11:48 AM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

They really need to fix that windshield rake.
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:25 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
^ Yeah. It really isn't even an updated Defender with that crap going on.
1988 Saudi 110 300Tdi
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:51 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

couple of observations about the latest spy shot.

he headlight covers are riveted on.. so maybe there is some small glimmer of Round headlight hope... its a Gerrys design after all so probably not since round headlights are not Posh....

The 2nd thing is the winch mount is weird, there is a metal plate for the bush bar in front of where the winch line would come out to its fairlead (which is missing) so if you tried to use it you would be rubbing on the bush bar quite heavily.. hopefully not finalized but good you can fit one and i'm sure ARB will have them out right after launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC100-Front End Questions.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	419084  

95' D90
92’ D110 - ZA
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:58 PM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:

Nice photoshop, however in reality door finishes way further back and pilots look a little longer imo?

------ Follow up post added May 21st, 2019 11:01 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
They did, they tilted it back so it has efficiency and less noise and helps pedestrians/animals/branches go over not through

Old May 21st, 2019, 06:42 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2516

Registry
He meant the other way.
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:42 PM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
couple of observations about the latest spy shot.

he headlight covers are riveted on.. so maybe there is some small glimmer of Round headlight hope... its a Gerrys design after all so probably not since round headlights are not Posh....

The 2nd thing is the winch mount is weird, there is a metal plate for the bush bar in front of where the winch line would come out to its fairlead (which is missing) so if you tried to use it you would be rubbing on the bush bar quite heavily.. hopefully not finalized but good you can fit one and i'm sure ARB will have them out right after launch.
Hmm, nicely noticed with rivets, other photos seem to show a black circular light inside, so id say you are "spot" on I think square surround with big round inside and two little side lights inside aswell inline with current defender.

As far as design goes, the guys Instagram in first shot is also heavily involved at the high level.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/17/...ork-auto-show/

Winch, im guessing fairlead mount hole is behind number plate, so either have plate on hinge or mount higher or lower.

Also think other two holes may be for left and right recovery points, or maybe light bar mounts?

Agree, ARB, TJM Rhino 4x4 will have stuff out pretty soon.

Another thing to note on the bar, is that in certain markets aggressive bullbars/winchbars they are not allowed, so im guessing this design suits all markets legally.

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/blog/wh...ell-bull-bars/

Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:57 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
In 2008 a new Jeep Rubicon 4 door had an MSRP of $30,000
In 2008 a new Land Rover LR3 HSE has an MSRP of $54,000

Today the 2008 Jeep has a KBB value of $20,000
The ‘08 LR3 has a KBB of.....wait for it.........$5,207 dollars! Winning!

With a loss of 90% of its value I would say that the market has spoken very loudly about the value of a fully independent air suspension 4x4 with overly complicated electronic this that and the other. Meanwhile the unsafe, basic, body on frame straight axle Jeep has retained almost 70% of its value. Pretty telling numbers.

I might even unblock the fanboy just to see what nonsense he’ll come up with.
I saw a Hummer H3T on 33s yesterday, had a cool roll bar and roof rack. It looked pretty good. I’m wondering if the H3T market will benefit from the gladiator intro.

Anyway, they were $29k-$39k in 2010 and an “Off-Road Adventure Suspension Package” V8 Alpha on autotrader is $29k and up.

I read a few H3T articles and it looks like the “Off-Road Adventure Suspension Package” equipped H3Ts Checks a lot of boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D88CC4F8-2A0B-4850-9B4C-D7920F26F58B.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	419230  
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:04 AM
blackrangie
Ben
RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I saw a Hummer H3T on 33s yesterday, had a cool roll bar and roof rack. It looked pretty good. I’m wondering if the H3T market will benefit from the gladiator intro.

Anyway, they were $29k-$39k in 2010 and an “Off-Road Adventure Suspension Package” V8 Alpha on autotrader is $29k and up.

I read a few H3T articles and it looks like the “Off-Road Adventure Suspension Package” equipped H3Ts Checks a lot of boxes.
Hot looking hummer, didnt even know they did a ute. Nice bullbar too.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:58 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Vertical windshields are a thing of the past.
Loop up the EU Pedestrian and Cyclist Vehicle Impact safety regs. Starting in 2009, compliance with Phase 1 mandated changes to bumper and bonnet design and, to be implemented by 2024, compliance to Phase 2 includes a new pedestrian A-pillar and windshield impact test (hence the raked windshield).
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:22 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Unless you are Jeep or Mercedes. Then you can have vertical windshield.
1988 Saudi 110 300Tdi
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:26 AM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
Land Rover 110 TD5

Quote:

I drove one of these for a month as a dealer demo when they were fairly new, alpha with luxury package and adventure package. I really liked it. There was one for sale on expo portal a while back that had some gear on it too
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:25 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:

I remember considering an H3 back in the day (before the H3T Came out). They were a pretty good off road platform, available stock with 33" tires, and front and rear lockers, and a decent low range. Could even get a manual gearbox with the 3.5 5cyl engine. And you could put 35's on it without lifting it. Wish they had done coils in the rear instead of leafs..

Of course the interior quality was typical low class GM, and what really turned me away was how small they were inside, but probably Hummer's best true wheeling platform..

Surprised to see the values of the Alpha models that high these days..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:42 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Scott - How right you are. I don't recall ever being as cramped as I was when riding as a passenger in a full size H1. Transfer case crushing my left side; door panel pinning me in from the right; and the dash right in my face. Cool to look at, but to own? No thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrangie View Post
Hot looking hummer, didnt even know they did a ute. Nice bullbar too.

How do you define a ute? Four door pickup? They made them since 1992.

------ Follow up post added May 23rd, 2019 04:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlandrover View Post
Scott - How right you are. I don't recall ever being as cramped as I was when riding as a passenger in a full size H1. Transfer case crushing my left side; door panel pinning me in from the right; and the dash right in my face. Cool to look at, but to own? No thanks!

Most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. My '97 D-90's were 2nd. The seating position and the Isringhausen seats were awesome.

Only needed a jack to change tires. Oil changes were easy with ground clearance.

As for the front passenger seat. Totally agree, I didn't ride in that seat often but it was really uncomfortable.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender, news