two weeks driving around Scotland in an ex mod - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old March 10th, 2019, 08:58 PM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
two weeks driving around Scotland in an ex mod

Hey Guys,

I’m heading over to Scotland 1st of August with the family. Where buying an ex mod 110 soft top 2.5NA then spending two weeks driving around. Then ship it back and have a great story with the new Rover.

Figure between picking up the Rover with a mate in Southampton area and returning it I’ve got 10 days in Scotland.

Trying to figure out a plan and route open to suggestions. Figure want to see highlands, skye, Inverness, and Edinburgh. I’d like to avoid the bigger motor ways once up in Scotland. Really looking for some amazing country roads.

Any help planning would be awesome and I’ll keep this thread updated on the prep and actual trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-324-3370
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Last time I did something like that it was in a beat up Morris Marina stopping overnight where ever we found a pub in the middle of nowhere but each had the most amazing collection of whisky for tasting...
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
Various
Mendicant

Registry
It’s easy to avoid the big motorways in Scotland, even the M9 has a speed limit of like 50 or something horrendous.

Some think it’s played out, but I like King Tut’s Wa Wa Hut in Glasgow.

If going to Skye, consider spending a night or two even on the Isle of Rassay. Great clan house there converted to a hotel.

I took my kids on a RIB ride on Loch Ness. It was cold and raining but they still came out grinning.

Just driving around, you can’t go wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2019, 09:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
Various
Mendicant

Registry
And even the tourist traps are pretty great. Loved the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies.

And Rocky pointed out, there is the whisky...

Old March 10th, 2019, 09:48 PM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
Awesome guys. Leaving the baby at home and just heading over with Catherine and that two boys 8 and 5. So should be a good time. Figure I’ll book nights in the bigger areas like Inverness, and Edinburgh. Then fill in the rear as we go. We def want to spend a night or two on Sky.

I’d like to do the NC500 but not sure I have enough time this trip.

802-324-3370
Old March 10th, 2019, 10:42 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The road down the southeast side of Loch Ness and then A830 out to Mallaig is a great scenic ride. From Mallaig you can take the ferry over to Armadale on Skye. There used to be the best fish and chips shop right down near the fishing boats at Mallaig - the fish were swimming that morning.

From Skye you take the A87 back through Kyle of Lochalsh then turn of on the A890 up through Achnasheen for another scenic route across the Highlands.
Old March 10th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
Builder of custom Defenders
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Just driving around, you canít go wrong.
This !

If you end up overnighting in Inverness check out Bunchrew House. Old manor house turned hotel, waterfront on the firth.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 10th, 2019, 11:09 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2516

Registry
I remember Edinburgh in August. Learned to drive reverse H there at 14 parking the rental. Don’t make my mistake and try to adjust to the time zone on day one, by staying out, like this idiot, until it started to get dark...... at 3 am!

What a great excuse for a trip! Don’t be to weary of slowing past the castles and fortresses. Incredible sites and lots of car clubs frequent them on the August weekends. Great vintage! Enjoy.
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:14 AM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
The "highlands" are specifically pretty much anything North of the Caledonian Canal, the system of Lochs which joins Fort William to Inverness one of which is Loch Ness. Make sure you stop at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge or better still go to the camp and museum as well where the training was conducted at Achnacarry Estate about 10 miles away, following the route the new recruits (to their surprise) would have to speed march with all their kit from the railway station at Spean Bridge, Cdo test number one.

Someone has already mentioned Mallaig and then there's Arisaig where you will see fabulous beaches of white sand and crystal clear (cold) water. Head over Applecross Pass and into Torridon, where there is a very nice hotel. From there join back on the main road and head North to Ullapool. Now depending upon time you have you can head further North to Cape Wrath and over the top of Scotland to John O Groats, then head back down the East coast to Inverness and visit the battlefield at Culloden. Then over the Cairngorms on the Whiskey trail down into Aberdeenshire and beyond.

I lived in Scotland for many years and my wife and I traveled extensively up there. IF the weather is nice it is definitely one of the most beautiful places you will ever see.

Very envious.

Cheers

Fraser

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:25 AM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
Planning two nights in sky, two in Inverness, and two in Edinburgh. Then just fill in where we want to go inbetween. Figure having a couple two night stays will be a bit of a rest.

I can take that much time in an ex mod mod not sure the wife and kids are ready.

So going to do a couple upgrades.

The plush series seats with heaters.
Power steering. Both those will really help with all Catherine’s injures after the accident.
Maybe look at speakers in the doors.....I could care less but keeps the family happy
Lock and fold forward facing seats for the kids, exmoor canvas with the side windows. Hopefully can do some of the trip with sides rolled up, then some 12v chargers in the back for them.

They do great riding around VT in all the ex mod rigs but will be interesting to see how they find it after a nearly two weeks.

802-324-3370
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:35 AM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
My wife is from Scotland so its returning home for her. Kids also love all things military so going to try and hit as much of that stuff as possible. Already got some special stuff planned. Also working on meeting up with other ex mod rovers along the way.

802-324-3370
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Davis
Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS, '91 110 200 TDI

If you like music, Glasgow is a World Heritage Site for music--it is an interesting city and really coming into its own. About an hour from Edinburgh. We drove 1400 miles through Scotland--Even the small villages like Gran Town on Spey, was really nice--probably not with kids, but the B&B we stayed at was owned by a chef and hunted in the morning for dinner...mmmmmm pheasant....

Edinburgh is great--for the whole family. If you want a drink and like gin, look up the Jolly Botanist: The Jolly Botanist | Gin Bar and Diner | Edinburgh Gin Bars I really like the Highlands--and a walk up one of the "hills" may be a great way to ensure a good nights sleep. The lochs are cool, but they start to resemble each other pretty quickly. Driving through the mustard fields are amazing if it is that time of year... sooooo much yellow!
Old March 11th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks
1992 110 p/u

We did Edinburgh last spring break with the kids. Got an airbnb in Newtown and were able to bus/walk to all of the sights which, while slightly touristy, were absolutely worth it. I'd highly reccomened staying there.

I spent a summer in Dundee 30 years ago and can tell you that unless something miraculous has happened, don't bother (though I did drive on the left for the first time in Tayside -- there are likely still the skid marks on the road from that endeavor).
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:46 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Watch The Grand Tour’s Scotland episode. The route they took looked mind blowing.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 11th, 2019, 11:46 AM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
My wife’s originally from Dundee ya not worth going back.

802-324-3370
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:21 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
You are all welcome for dinner and a place to rest before the trip really gets started if you want. My girls are close in age being 7 and 9 and we are 45 min west of Southampton. Not to distract you from your travel plans but I am sure you would appreciate the Tank museum https://www.tankmuseum.org/home which is 30 min from us. Sounds like a fantastic trip you are planning.
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:56 PM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
Thank you much. Where already staying with friends down that way. Taking the boys to the D Day museum and the D Day Royal Navy command bunker my mate looks after.

I could get lost for days at the tank museum but as the kids already have there own tank at home (we own a CVRT Sabre) so the cool factor has worn off for them.

Should be an amazing trip

802-324-3370
Old March 12th, 2019, 01:03 PM
stalkem
Michael Stalker
1991 Defender 110

Registry
Not sure if you like Distilleries with the kiddos, but Glen Ord Distillery up by Inverness was one of my favorites. If you think of sending some bottles back, let me know! Apparently their market is SEA.
Old March 12th, 2019, 04:35 PM
greenmountainrover
Derek Chace
1993 Snatch 1.5

Registry
I’ll be hitting as many distilleries as possible

802-324-3370
Old March 14th, 2019, 07:34 PM
cconnolly
Chris
1986 D90 2.5NA

Islay is gorgeous and has more distilleries than you can shake a stick at. The BnBs there are spectacular and it’s fun to stay amongst all the sheep. Not sure how the ferry would work with a 110 though. They were annoyed by us in a Volvo wagon when we did it a few years back. I would also highly recommend Cairngorm. The views are stunning and the roads are a blast. You can drive up a few of the mountains to the ski resorts and have some really nice hikes. For the cities we fell in love with Glasgow as it was so much less crowded and touristy than Edinburgh but still had great museums and things to do

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events