2019 Rovers At Wintergreen - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events

Old April 24th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Probably going to get flamed for this, but rolling with that group is less about what you have bolted to your truck, than your skill set. There is no substitute for experience and good judgement.
The trail leaders can be somewhat harsh in discouraging the inexperienced to join. The group is typically only 5-8 trucks. Most everyone in the group has lockers, but not a requirement. I like the last truck position in the group, content to follow and watch everyone elses line.

That said minimums to roll with that group typically are:
33 or taller aggresive tires (most important)
suspension lift if your truck isn't a defender (unlike intermediate groups there is little to no stopping and stacking stones to make things easier)
a working winch
solid as hell recovery points
Staps and shackles

Personally, hate a high lift, dont have one on the truck. damn things are dangerous as hell, but necessary.

Rock sliders- optional to mitigate body damage.

Strapped Raub backwards when a bolder cut his drive shaft in two but no one pulled winch line in our group Saturday or Sunday. He has a front locker and was able to drive out in diff lock once the rear shaft pieces were removed.

The advanced group tends to roll, with the right group, there is little to no recovery. In that group, more so than in others, its important to keep the truck behind you in your mirrors and not leave them, the group moves quickly.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2019, 03:11 PM
DCG
David
1984 110 CSW 3.5 V8 LHD

Good, targeted advice. Thanks! Sounds like everyone had a great time.
Old April 25th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Adam (NoVA)
Adam Clater
1992/D90 200TDi

Our intermediate group didn't stack stones, but we spent a lot of time stopped on my run. I'll be inclined to join a smaller group next time. My tires aren't super aggressive (ko2), but might be ok aired down.

Not sure how things went in the evening or Sunday group - looks like everyone had some good times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
1991 D90, 2006 LR3, 2013 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam (NoVA) View Post
Our intermediate group didn't stack stones, but we spent a lot of time stopped on my run. I'll be inclined to join a smaller group next time. My tires aren't super aggressive (ko2), but might be ok aired down.

Not sure how things went in the evening or Sunday group - looks like everyone had some good times.
The Sunday intermediate group was great. The l322 in the videos I posted had a lot of trouble. Everyone else was great and pretty well cruised on through.
Old April 25th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
I think Uncle Doug gave some pretty square advice for the extreme or advanced group. The number of trucks and drivers that are up to this standard are few and that keeps the group small - which helps with keeping the group moving.

For the intermediate groups - like was already posted - front and rear recovery points and good tires.

I hear everyone loud and clear when we get feedback about the intermediate groups being too large. That is the category where most of the attendees fall into so it is the biggest. With big groups come big delays; example - if we have a 20 truck group (too large) and everyone struggles for an average of 5 minutes at a tricky spot - we just lost 1.5 hours clearing the group over a single obstacle. ... and that is frustrating for everyone. (See Adam's comment)

When we get large groups - we tend to shy away from the harder stuff just to keep people moving. I we assume everyone would rather drive than sit.

The best solution for this is for the club to get more volunteers to serve as trail guides. (more guides = smaller groups) In order to be a trail guide, we generally ask that you help out on a trail prep weekend to get to know the trails and so we get an idea of your truck and driving capabilities.

I am really glad to see the enthusiasm for the event and Zack has true talent where he can take a photo of a tatty old truck and make it look good.

Share more photos if you got'em!
1980 Stage One 109

Sterling, VA
Old April 26th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Adam (NoVA)
Adam Clater
1992/D90 200TDi

^ good info.

To be fair, most of the stopping was due to traffic on the public trail we were on, which was a byproduct having to be off wintergreen property, which was due to weather.

It happens & won't diminish my interest in attending the next ROAV event.

Not to mention cleaning up at the raffle! 😁
Old April 26th, 2019, 10:22 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Another campy video. Footage from Sat's intermediate ride. Stacks of stones and winching a few back through on the return.
https://youtu.be/jHfIg-Dongg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Trips, Trails and Events