Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:15 PM
kullberg's Avatar
kullberg
Status: Offline
Keven
1961
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 75
Registry
Series I II IIa III Heystee disc brake conversion kit

Heystee Automotive Components conversion kit - Formally T.I. Console.
Pre-2010 disc brake conversion kits are based upon the disc brakes that come on the Spanish built Santana PS10 (Iveco Massif). The PS10 is basically a Land Rover clone so is in the same weight range as a Series LR. The brake calipers are made by Girling. The front disc brakes are a 2 piston vented system. The rear system has the same wheel hubs but slightly thinner discs (non ventilated) and smaller calipers. This is also a straight fit without modifications just like the front ventilated system.
A custom back plate is bolted onto the swivel housing in place of the drum brake back plate and the PS10 Girling brakes bolt to the plate. There are no grinding or modifications of existing components required. Wheel spacers are required to fit the Series wheel though
As the Santana (Massif) is not available in North America, North American's would need to source replacement parts directly from Heystee Automotive Components or an IVECO dealer. Santana has been taken over by IVECO and the Santana PS10 has been renamed the " IVECO Massif". Americans can usually have pads & rotors shipped by air to them from Europe in less than a week. Alternatively, if quick repairs are important, one can keep a backup set of pads and rotors on the shelf. IVECO has ceased production of the disc brake componets used in this conversion so this kit is NLA.

2010 and newer Heystee disc brake conversions have a new custom swivel housing and hub which allows the use of off the shelf Land Rover Defender disc brake components without an adaptor plate. When IVECO ceased production of the disc brakes for the Santana (Massif) Heystee Automotive set about developing a custom conversion that would make use of easily obtained Defender brake components. Fortunatly this kit allows North Americans to source consumable brake components locally.

"All parts mount onto the Series Land Rover axle without any modification or adaptors. All threads, seals and gaskets are identical to the original Land Rover units. The original wheels fit without any spacer or modification. With this system all maintenance parts are Land Rover, no need to source brake pads, caliper parts of odd-ball vehicles or modify "alien" rotor discs. Just contact your local Land Rover parts dealer when you need replacement." Quote from Heystee Automotive Components web site.


Castings for the Heystee Automotive front disc brake conversion.
In the Heystee disc brake conversion kit you get the castings shown above, 2 venttilated Defender rotors, 2 Defender Calipers plus all the bolts and washers required to mount the rotors and calipers.

Paul (owner of Heystee) is now taking pre orders for the next hub and swivel run, Place your orders now. Tell him Keven Kullberg sent you.
Thanks
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:41 PM
JSBriggs's Avatar
JSBriggs
Status: Online
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Auburn CA
Posts: 7,945
Registry
Series trucks have 6 bolt hubs/drive flanges. 5 bolt stuff if for coilers.

-Jeff
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM
kullberg's Avatar
kullberg
Status: Offline
Keven
1961
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 75
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Series trucks have 6 bolt hubs/drive flanges. 5 bolt stuff if for coilers.

-Jeff
You are correct, if you read on his web site he will tell you he used the wrong pictures, they do come with 6 bolt hubs. check it out. Ps. good eye.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM
TeriAnn's Avatar
TeriAnn
Status: Offline
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flagstaff, AZ USA
Posts: 170
Registry
When you "borrow" a large chunk of one of my web pages I would appreciate a note saying what was borrowed and from whom. A link back to my site would be nice as well. I am glad to read that Paul is putting together another production run of his well designed high quality brake conversion.

If anyone is planning on doing a disc brake conversion but still has manual brakes, I am working on a major update on my power brake conversion web page. The current draft is on line. If anyone decides to get Paul's conversion kit you might look into the servo unit he offers as an upgrade to the Series III servo for even better braking.



Below is from my overview of available disc brake conversion for Series web page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullberg View Post
Heystee Automotive Components conversion kit - Formally T.I. Console.
Pre-2010 disc brake conversion kits are based upon the disc brakes that come on the Spanish built Santana PS10 (Iveco Massif). The PS10 is basically a Land Rover clone so is in the same weight range as a Series LR. The brake calipers are made by Girling. The front disc brakes are a 2 piston vented system. The rear system has the same wheel hubs but slightly thinner discs (non ventilated) and smaller calipers. This is also a straight fit without modifications just like the front ventilated system.
A custom back plate is bolted onto the swivel housing in place of the drum brake back plate and the PS10 Girling brakes bolt to the plate. There are no grinding or modifications of existing components required. Wheel spacers are required to fit the Series wheel though
As the Santana (Massif) is not available in North America, North American's would need to source replacement parts directly from Heystee Automotive Components or an IVECO dealer. Santana has been taken over by IVECO and the Santana PS10 has been renamed the " IVECO Massif". Americans can usually have pads & rotors shipped by air to them from Europe in less than a week. Alternatively, if quick repairs are important, one can keep a backup set of pads and rotors on the shelf. IVECO has ceased production of the disc brake componets used in this conversion so this kit is NLA.

2010 and newer Heystee disc brake conversions have a new custom swivel housing and hub which allows the use of off the shelf Land Rover Defender disc brake components without an adaptor plate. When IVECO ceased production of the disc brakes for the Santana (Massif) Heystee Automotive set about developing a custom conversion that would make use of easily obtained Defender brake components. Fortunatly this kit allows North Americans to source consumable brake components locally.

"All parts mount onto the Series Land Rover axle without any modification or adaptors. All threads, seals and gaskets are identical to the original Land Rover units. The original wheels fit without any spacer or modification. With this system all maintenance parts are Land Rover, no need to source brake pads, caliper parts of odd-ball vehicles or modify "alien" rotor discs. Just contact your local Land Rover parts dealer when you need replacement." Quote from Heystee Automotive Components web site.


Castings for the Heystee Automotive front disc brake conversion.
In the Heystee disc brake conversion kit you get the castings shown above, 2 venttilated Defender rotors, 2 Defender Calipers plus all the bolts and washers required to mount the rotors and calipers.

Paul (owner of Heystee) is now taking pre orders for the next hub and swivel run, Place your orders now.
__________________
TeriAnn
1960 Land Rover Dormobile, The go anywhere class B RV
1961 Triumph TR3A. Life is too short not to drive a classic British roadster.


My Land Rover web site

My Triumph TR3 web site


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
kullberg's Avatar
kullberg
Status: Offline
Keven
1961
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 75
Registry
Sorry about that, I'm bad with computers and I don't know how to link or to get the pictures up.

I will say you have very good information on your site and everyone should take a look.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:26 PM
shoefnik's Avatar
shoefnik
Status: Offline
Brian Horner
SIII 6.0L Vortec/4L65-E/Automatic
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 29
Wow, since we are doing unsolicited advertising in TWO places...

I recommend buying our ROAM OFFROAD disc brake conversion (innovated by Timm Cooper) instead because it is the original conversion that uses off-the-shelf Land Rover Defender brake components. There is a reason our design is being knocked-off and that is because it works far better than any of the other brake conversions being produced. ROAM products are made in the USA under close supervision using the finest materials and manufacturing methods. Timm slowly evolved the design over 10 years to get it right where it is today. Our conversion is available for purchase right now and I'm happy to put you in touch with customers that have been happily using our brake conversion for years. Pre-orders are a suckers game - don't pay until products are available and ready to ship.

Dude, I hope Paul is giving you a free conversion for your efforts. ;o)

Thanks!

Brian
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Jim-ME
Status: Offline
Jim Ecker
1964 Series 2/2a bitsa
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brewer Maine
Posts: 75
I would love to have a ROAM kit. Is it possible to order a front kit first and then a rear kit later?
Jim
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM
1962siia88's Avatar
1962siia88
Status: Offline
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Crockett, Ca, USA
Posts: 426
Registry
Hey Jim:

If you follow the link in Brians signature to the roam site you will see that you can order the front and rear individually. It looks like there is a discount ordering them at the same time though.

Daniel
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM
shoefnik's Avatar
shoefnik
Status: Offline
Brian Horner
SIII 6.0L Vortec/4L65-E/Automatic
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-ME View Post
I would love to have a ROAM kit. Is it possible to order a front kit first and then a rear kit later?
Jim
Hi Jim,

Yes, we recently added a Rear Only conversion to our website that is intended for vehicles that have discs up front but not in the rear. It is also an ideal solution for D110 owners. Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to discuss.

Thanks!

Brian
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:42 PM
TeriAnn's Avatar
TeriAnn
Status: Offline
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flagstaff, AZ USA
Posts: 170
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefnik View Post
I recommend buying our ROAM OFFROAD disc brake conversion (innovated by Timm Cooper) instead because it is the original conversion that uses off-the-shelf Land Rover Defender brake components. There is a reason our design is being knocked-off and that is because it works far better than any of the other brake conversions being produced.
I hate this when I know and like all parties involved. But Brian I think you are being a little harsh on Paul. Granted, Timm's design evolved from using Wilwood brake parts to using Land Rover brake parts before Paul switched from Santana disc brake parts to using Land Rover disc brake parts.

I'm convinced that Paul did his own engineering to design his swivel housing, which is very different from Timm's swivel housing. And you realize the since form follows function that the two housings have to look similar. The big difference being that Timm has a casting that can be machined for either left or right side and Paul's castings are specifically right and left side without the extra casting bits.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefnik View Post
Our conversion is available for purchase right now and I'm happy to put you in touch with customers that have been happily using our brake conversion for years. Pre-orders are a suckers game - don't pay until products are available and ready to ship.
Granted there is money to make ROAM products up front and have them on the shelf for immediate purchase and immediate gratification.

Unfortunately when Paul got divorced his wife got half the business assets leaving Paul without a whole lot of operating funds & the recession seems to be hitting Europe harder. So Paul is forced to get orders & have a run made to orders.

I have not used either product so can not judge which is better but since they both use Land Rover calipers & rotors I gather the braking experience would be identical.

My truck has the Torrel conversion which is an improvement over front drum brakes on a 109. I have no idea how it compares to the conversions using Land Rover brake components.
__________________
TeriAnn
1960 Land Rover Dormobile, The go anywhere class B RV
1961 Triumph TR3A. Life is too short not to drive a classic British roadster.


My Land Rover web site

My Triumph TR3 web site


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM
JSBriggs's Avatar
JSBriggs
Status: Online
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Auburn CA
Posts: 7,945
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefnik View Post
Hi Jim,

Yes, we recently added a Rear Only conversion to our website that is intended for vehicles that have discs up front but not in the rear. It is also an ideal solution for D110 owners. Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to discuss.

Thanks!

Brian
So for the 110 crowd, is it just the brackets and fittings (no hubs)?

-Jeff
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, conversion, kit, series

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd, Rare, and heavy Series Stuff FS "NOS" SafariHP For Sale - Parts 8 May 12th, 2012 11:15 AM
Rare NOS Series II and III Parts on the way SafariHP The Vendors Loft 0 January 18th, 2011 07:22 PM
Series III 109 SW conversion to a ST gas-man Series Technical Discussions 2 June 25th, 2010 11:44 PM
'71 Series IIa - $6,500 Winston-Rover For Sale - Vehicles 15 August 25th, 2009 11:43 AM
1974 III Series 88 SW Prototype For Sale Nil For Sale - Vehicles 0 August 10th, 2005 01:39 PM

» Newly Listed on eBay

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Copyright