Old January 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

1980 Land Rover Defender 300 tdi on Ebay

I saw thing on ebay this morning.
1980 Land Rover : Defender 300 tdi
Item number: 110212211524

The guy is asking $29,500 for it and he pays to ship it to the US port, though he says the buyer is responsible for local fees, etc, so that could add up.

The catch is that he wants all the money wired to him at the close of auction. Do I know anyone who would wire $29,500 to Europe based on the close of the auction after looking at the feedback? I don't think so. Maybe get a friend there to oversee everything. Nice Defender though.

(Disclaimer:not affliated with this guy)

Old January 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I think you'd have a real hard time convincing a customs agent that this is a "1980" Land Rover since the coil sprung models weren't even in production until 1983. There have been so many instances of 1997 "109's" being imported that customs is pretty much on to this ruse - I wouldn't risk it these days as they have definitely gotten smarter about these vehicles over the last few years.

Old January 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had recently heard about someone in Europe who was sending in late model Mini's on old registrations. Reading his feedback- apprently this is the guy. He as much as says he's doing the same thing with this truck-selling you a 97 with phony 1980 registration. You might make it past customs, but if you get in an accident and your insurance adjuster finds the real vin number, not only will they not pay to fix your vehicle, they aren't obligated to pay liabilty side of the claim either. If you do get caught bringing in a fraudulently registered truck by customs on entry, they will seize the truck and you are out the 29k.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

I did find a really nice 1990 Defender 110 CSW Tdi in my price range from a private seller in "another country to the North" and was offered a title and vin to from a series II to bring it into the US. Don't get me wrong, the guy was actually trying to help me get it into the country. When I checked the vin number, it broke down to be a gas engine, not diesel. Obviously the years were different as well.

Maybe it would have soared through Customs easily or maybe this is something they are watching out for like hawks. I don't have any inside info about what rules the US Customs people are following closely, so that alone would stop me from buying the LR, no matter how hard it is to walk away from.

$20k is a lot of money to gamble with and I'd have to have some very large kahunas to step up, put down the money and hedge my bet on what mood the Customs inspector was in.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
globallandrovers
Julian Kotting
Defender 300tdi 110 Van RHD
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
I had recently heard about someone in Europe who was sending in late model Mini's on old registrations. Reading his feedback- apprently this is the guy. He as much as says he's doing the same thing with this truck-selling you a 97 with phony 1980 registration. You might make it past customs, but if you get in an accident and your insurance adjuster finds the real vin number, not only will they not pay to fix your vehicle, they aren't obligated to pay liabilty side of the claim either. If you do get caught bringing in a fraudulently registered truck by customs on entry, they will seize the truck and you are out the 29k.
Like doug says, but i actually know this truck as it was offered to me at globallandrovers and i turned it down.because he wanted too much money and could not guarentee a 1983 LR110 title. The problem is all customs would have to do is check the ebay listing ...the part where it sats '1997 vehicle' and you'd be buggered!

If someone or any one wants a later style 110, we can build them from ground up using a 1983 defender as a donor vehicle. But its not cheap.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Here is a pretty sharp looking Mini the guy also has. I would love to have that in my garage....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...QQcmdZViewItem

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > The Flea Market

Tags
300 tdi, ebay, land rover defender, tdi