Defender Source Forum banner

Windscreen Glass Replacement

Tags
ac glass
10K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  geoellis 
#1 ·
It's time for me to replace the windscreen glass in by 95 90 ST. Something tells me not to trust any old glass shop. Any advice?

#3 ·
It is old school replacement glass technique. Any good glass shop should do just fine. I just pulled my out so that I could paint the frame. The rubber was bad so I just used a razor knife to cut it out. I have read that you can use a rope in the new molding to help get the new glass in but have not done this myself. I am sure that a few others on the board have done it before and can tell you how to do it.

#5 ·
Eh, I mean yes you can use any old glass shop, but remember the dude on the board who had his windshield replaced and had no idea that the shop replaced it with the same type of tempered glass as the side winows? Yes, a slim chance of this happening, but happened nonetheless. A rock or something hit it and the windshield completely shattered.

#13 ·
I called our local LR dealer re "genuine" glass to replace my d90 windscreen. The glass is $436.03 and the seal is $161.78. Does anyone have any other ideas for cheaper sources?
Dealers are idiots. Roversnorth, Atlantic British will be much cheaper etc. I got OE sundym or maybe TripleX glass from Mike at LR Westchester in PA (one of a few dealer parts guys who actually care about customers) for like $150 for the glass and $35 for the seal or there abouts.

RN has the glass for $155 and the glass and $36 for the seal both proline.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-182-windscreen.aspx

#11 ·
Rovers North .... never I thought that would be the answer to the question 'anyone have any other ideas for cheaper sources?'

#15 ·
What rover parts are needed for a windshield replacement? On the diagram it looks like there is more than one seal. Two on the inside (top and bottom) and the exterior rubber gasket? Glass aside, what else do I need?

#21 ·
That makes sense about the seal.

Heated windshield sounds great but I don't think I would use it enough. I only need to scrape the windows when I go snowboarding which is not very often these days. Price vs usage type of thing. I'm also concerned about getting another rock chip. Another reason not to overspend on the windshield. Does anyone know of a film that is applied to windshields to prevent rock chips and cracks? Seems like a good investment if you're driving on dirt roads a lot.

#28 · (Edited)
Dawn / Palmolive makes it slip in nice and then washes off easily. With the roll cage on you will have to go up between the cage and top of windscreen frame and then bring it down to rest on the bottom track. I do not remove any trim pieces.

Removal of the old windscreen is simple. Using a utility knife cut the rubber being careful not to scratch the paint on the frame beneath.

Install new rubber gasket onto the windscreen.

Lube up the frame and rope.

Using a silicone / caulk nozzle install the rope into the rubber gasket.

With two people place the windscreen in the frame going up between the top of the frame and roll cage coming down to rest on the frame at the bottom.

Make sure the windscreen is centered in the opening.

Begin pulling the rope at the sides. Pull it equally on both sides top and bottom. This should pull the rubber seal over the frame. It might not be perfect at first. Don't force it. It will slip into place once all of the seal is pulled over the frame.

I cannot stress enough not to push on the outside edges of the glass from the outside to help the seal. It will crack (ask me how I know). Gentle pressure in the center is better. Not much should be required, just enough to hold the glass in place.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.