Defender Source Forum banner

Tithonus 200tdi

9K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  solarguy 
#1 ·
After getting back from Atlanta this coming weekend I will be starting a complete power plant and drivetrain revamp. I have purchased a 200tdi from Uncle Doug,thanks Doug, a R380 from Ashcroft, a1.4 transfer case and a disc brake rear Salisbury from David at Urban Land Rovers. I will be hauling my rear end, transfer case, and Rockware bumper all home in my rebuilt MK3 Sankey trailer.
I will try and snap a couple of pics as I go.

#36 ·
Today I got all of the seals in and the timing belt done. Got the transfer case ready to mount to the transmission.
Tomorrow I hope to get the timing cover , water pump, thermostat, lift pump, clutch, transmission, transfer case all together.

#39 · (Edited)
I have to say that I have dropped the ball on this thread. Sorry guys. Having to do this at one of the busiest time of the year was tough.

I do have many people to thank. Doug, Stephen, Raub, my brother in laws Jim and David and my dear friend Jason. Thank you all for you patients, help and knowledge. I truly wouldn't be able to do this with out each and every persons help.

The swap wasn't that hard, it was the logistics of shop time and my lack of time to research and getting the right parts. In the end it all came together well.

When the truck is done at the exhaust shop today I will finish the interior and go for a good long drive. I might even tow the sankey for the first time behind my truck.

Attachments

#46 ·
So after I picked up the truck from the muffler shop I had a chance to go for a nice little drive. I have to say that it is like night and day. The power,speed of the engine and quietness of the drivetrain is like have a whole new truck. I am in heaven.

The next thing I will be doing will be pas. I am looking forward to that nice piece of luxury. I will then focus on the disc brake rear end. After that I will move on to the front.

#47 ·
If you go with PS, use a different pump.
I fitted a Mercedes OM617 PS pump to the 200TDI engine and it works so much better.
You have RHD, right?

#49 · (Edited)
Rover pumps have a much higher failure rate and often struggle when they get older.
They are also fairly expensive to replace.
The Mercedes pumps last much longer if not forever and are available cheap in junk yards.
They have a replaceable filter.
They halso ave very smooth operation (like their engines).
We also made an AC bracket and hung a 200amp alternator off the side on this Disco 200TDI.

Attachments

#51 ·
I was trying to keep my composure. Trying not to piss my pants with joy.

Robert that a/c alt combo is nice. I will run the LR pump until it craps out and then I will pic your brain on the Mercedes pump. Thanks for the tip.

Can you guys tell by my font that I am going faster?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.