Defender Source Forum banner

Stupid Question.....about lug nuts

7K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  sherpamike 
#1 ·
Have been reading some info on here about wheel lug nuts coming loose so thought I would take a look at mine today...There appear to be plastic lug nut caps? over top of my lugs that are loose to turn on my alloy rims. How do I get these off. I know stupid question but I am a new owner and didnt want to ruin them with the air rachet if there is some other secret.....

Thanks,

Nigel

#6 ·
The OEM lug nuts have a loose-fitting but non-removable stainless steel cover.

Regarding the "bastards at the tire place", they don't sound too professional if they're trying to use your lug wrench. And lug wrenches are worthless, anyway (bent more than I can remember). Get yourself a 2 ft. breaker bar with the right size metric socket to keep in the vehicle instead.

#7 ·
yeah that was the point of them using it was because of the funky cover on the Rovers lug nuts, so I commend them for that, the jack handle on the lug wrench provides a good amount of leverage and it all packs up neatly, I was wondering the size so I could call the snap-on chick and the correct socket, I think I saw somewhere that it was not metric....

#13 ·
Of course Pendy's right, he's a rover god.
I must be losing my f@#king marbles, it was only sunday that I was wrenching on my lug nuts...
Great short term memory huh?

rover4x4- PM me your address and I'll send you a check, you keep the socket as my free gift to you!

Rod

you wanted to see that snap-on chic again anyway, didn't you? :)

#15 ·
rover4x4 said:
damn that sucks because that socket from the Snap-On folks is 82$ :angry
Which is why, since I'm not a pro and don't get to write off the cost on my taxes, I don't buy Snap-On. ;)

The Kobalt tools in Lowes are actually pretty decent; made by the same people that make Matco professional tools. Craftsman aren't as good as they used to be, but aren't bad for non-professional use.

#16 ·
Keith Armstrong said:
Repeat - stock lug wrench is waayy soft.
I helped a Disco on the side of the road change a tire once and straight bent the guy's lug wrench. Looked at him and said, "Uh, sorry about that." He was like, it still didn't come off?

Finally got it when the tow truck showed up (He called it not me). Couldn't believe he'd have to drive 2 hours to a Rover dealer to fix the tire.

I called a place 15mins. away but he wanted to take it to a dealer...Disco owners:( . (Can't wait to see the response on that. Probably get RoverChic on here and we all know what'll happen then.)

#17 ·
Might take a few days for her to reply. Not sure if she's got computer access on her trip.

#18 ·
Help please!!

Hey guys, I also have a stupid question about lugs..... I dont have my repair manual available to me for a few days and was hoping to get some info and then parts on order for a repair I will be doing in a few days.

Was just out wheeling yesterday and noticed that 3 of my 5 lug nuts were missing from my right front wheel. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it wasnt just nuts missing but rather the "studs" or "Lugs"(What are they called?) that had sheared off. I was limping home slowly until a 4th sheared off and I was forced to have it trailered home.

So I need to know anything you can tell me about this. Such as...

How do you replace these.."lugs"? Pound them out the back and simply fit new ones and seat them with lug nuts? I am assuming these are replaceable.

Whats the LR part number for these?

Is there a NAPA equivalent available?

Any info would be appreciated.

Larry

#20 ·
Chris Cox said:
I know it's not the "correct" socket, but 1-1/8" 6 point works also, and probably can be gotten about anywhere.

Chris
The 1-1/8th socket is the one that causes the stainless cap on the lug nuts to come loose. Too many tire stores assume it is that size and bang away with their impact guns. The proper size is 27 mm and is really close to 1-1/16th. My breaker bar in the 90 has a 1-1/16th socket on it. Its a cheap on from ACE or something maybe $15.

I had to buy 4 lugnuts receintly bc the tire store that I used for my new tires screwed up a couple by using the wrong size.

#21 ·
Cyborg said:
Hey guys, I also have a stupid question about lugs..... I dont have my repair manual available to me for a few days and was hoping to get some info and then parts on order for a repair I will be doing in a few days.

Was just out wheeling yesterday and noticed that 3 of my 5 lug nuts were missing from my right front wheel. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it wasnt just nuts missing but rather the "studs" or "Lugs"(What are they called?) that had sheared off. I was limping home slowly until a 4th sheared off and I was forced to have it trailered home.

So I need to know anything you can tell me about this. Such as...

How do you replace these.."lugs"? Pound them out the back and simply fit new ones and seat them with lug nuts? I am assuming these are replaceable.

Whats the LR part number for these?

Is there a NAPA equivalent available?

Any info would be appreciated.

Larry
How did you do this? I have not heard of this happening on a Rover!

#23 ·
I am not exactly sure when this began or how. I had been having some odd steering issues for quite a while and now I think it was because of the first lug stud or two breaking off.

The initial cause of this??? I did have a situation recently where the place that rotated my tires for me over torqued several lug nuts with their impact wrench. I had to go back to them to use their impact wrench to break them free. So possibly they had stressed some of the lugs and they sheared off later.

I have the lug/studs coming today and new lug nuts. I found that these studs are simply pounded out and the new ones pounded in. Maybe I will be able to thread on the lug nuts and seat them that way. The broken ones popped out easy without any disassembly. The one intact one that i was removing wasnt so easy. It is full length and as such won't come out of the hub without disassembiling the hub from the brake disk.

So I plan to routinely check my lug nuts and torque them to spec with the torque wrench and carry extra lug studs and a coupl lug nuts on the trail from now on.

Larry

#24 ·
Does anyone know what the thread size is for OEM lug nuts for the defender. I was told the thread count was either 14x1.5 or 16x1.5?
Any help would greatly be appreciated before I try to save some money and buy them through ebay instead of rovers north.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Cyborg said:
The one intact one that i was removing wasnt so easy. It is full length and as such won't come out of the hub without disassembiling the hub from the brake disk.

Larry
Well, if that one won't come out b/c of its length I would assume the new ones will not go in without disassembling also, so don't pound it out and put the hub back together until you have the new studs in place.

By the way, WTF is wrong with tire shops anyway? There is absolutely no excuse for them having their impacts jacked up that high! I remember trying to get the lugs off of an old Buick we had when I was a kid. My father and I had to jump up and down on a 5' bar that was slipped over a cross-bar. The cross-bar looked like spaghetti by the time we were done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.