Defender Source Forum banner

Lug Nuts!!! Get loose today !!!!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BarryO 
#1 ·
Hi everybody.When I was driving today,I was feeling something wrong with truck.Was some knocking in front end , and I got feelings I will roll over truck on every corner I drove.I stop on look under truck ..none.My friend look on my rims ,and point to lug nuts !!! They all was loose ,I can turn them by hand !!!! It's is usally for lug nuts get loose ? I never see anything like that before! Should I check them more often ?
Thank you
Vadim

#2 ·
Seen it happen before, did you have the tires off recently? Let me guess, drivers side?

I've found that not only the torque sequence is important, but also where on the jack the truck is makes a difference too. I usually snug down when it's still on the jack to seat the lugs. Then I lower the jack just enough to prevent the tire from turning but not put much weight on the tire and torque fully. Then I totally drop the truck off the jack and torque again twice.

Also, make sure to use a good wheel spider, and not the wimpy lug wrench that came with the truck. The factory lug wrench doesn't get enough leverage normally, and won't tighten the nuts enough.

-Hans

#4 ·
Have you tried tightening them?

#6 ·
and when you tightened them the last time, did you use a torque wrench? One should always be used, except in emergency roadside repair situations.

I haul dual-axle RV and livestock trailers with my (non-Rover) pickup. Makers of these trailers are always cautionig that the lug nuts must be checked regularly, as tight turns put alot of stress on the wheels and tend to work the nuts loose over time.

If you're running big tires on the '90, maybe you're putting the same kind of stress on the wheels.

#7 ·
My driver's rear tire came loose recently--I was totally shocked. I am pretty anal about tightening my wheels, so this was a bit of a surprise. I am always fussing with the truck and did have the wheels off, but when the rims go on, they get tightened. I am a bit of a conspiracy guy, so I am guessing it was SABOTAGE! O.K., probably not but sure make me feel better thinking I did not do anything wrong...in other words, it does happen and you are not alone

#9 ·
Buy a compressor and an impact gun, problem solved.

When I got my truck, I couldn't take the lug nuts off so I went to a tire shop and had them do it. I was fitting new tires anyway. They said that the torque they were at was correct for that size of lug, so I went out and bought a 4ft bar and lug wrench and haven't had any problems since. If you can remove the lugs with a normal sized lug wrench it probably isn't tight enough.

Knock on wood, I'm checking them tommorow.

#11 ·
Like i said, use a torque wrench to make sure you're putting them on tight enough. The nuts are quite a bit bigger than other cars, and 100 ft-lbs. may be difficult for some people.

I've had trouble taking the nuts off with the factory lug wrench. Last time I tried, I just ended up twisting the wrench. Ended up going to Sears and replacing it with a proper metric socket and a 2 ft. breaker bar. When I stand my 200+ pounds on the end of that thing, there's no problem getting the nuts off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.