over 100K
So excited to discover this brutal machine
thanks
andy

------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2014 05:29 PM ------

sorry 1997
andy

#2 ·
Hello all Just got my a Defender this am. looked at my neighbor drive it for 10 years, now it's mine too bad I had to work all day can't wait to get home and begin to explore 1996 Defender NAS serial number 0264 Hunter green SW over 100K So excited to discover this brutal machine thanks andy ------ Follow up post added August 6th, 2014 05:29 PM ------ sorry 1997 andy
Welcome! New York is a big place ...

Reactions: Pinballking2
#12 ·
Take a look in the LRFAQ - there were way more than 500 Defenders imported into the US each year aside from 1993 with the NAS 110 which were imported in limited numbers right around 500.

You'll see your VIN on this page pertaining to your rear plaque number.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/D90auto.db.1.html

#13 ·
thanks
yes my mistake, it is a 1997 NAS serial number 264 and thank you for the correction on the color, great to know
look forward to reading and learning from you Jedi Masters
what other model wheels would fit?
looked like Defender alloys look a lot like some others I have seem?
a

#20 ·
Don't do anything to your truck until you get to know it ... there is plenty to learn about the trucks and plenty of people that have them in NYC and the vicinity.

Josh will typically pick holes in any pictures to prove that the CIA got it wrong when he failed the admission tests.

People from the warmer states will ridicule those of us living in the center of the universe .. and get upset when we don't want to live on a dirt road in somewhere with electricity every other thursday.

Patina is very desirable trait on defenders ... so any history is always a positive attibute.

And if anyone gets on your nerves ... just tell them you paid $5K for the truck .... that will shut them up

:)

#17 · (Edited)
From your registry it looks like you have the steel Wolf wheels, painted black. So it looks like the truck was rolled at some point? The passenger side front portion of the roll cage is pushed down and it looks like the wing has ripples all over it. Your neighbor probably has a good story for whatever happened! It looks like they replaced the hard top with a later model type with grey sides and maybe the 80's vintage ribbed roof.

#38 · (Edited)
ready to tackle that big pot hole.
And you definitely need to be ready for that..... Had to replace a blow tire from one of those said potholes on a non-LR in the past month.... Blew on the way to JFK (about 1 mile from the terminal, can still picture the trench across the highway.....). Should have taken an LR to go to jungle NYC!

#40 ·
Went to an apple store once. I didn't drink the coolaid so got kicked out.

#41 ·
Thanks to all,
Happy Labor Day..early
Settling in a doing the things that should have been done over the past 10 years.
Trying to sort out how I want it to look?
Need to keep all the ripples,dings and other real world relics from past experiences, but want to get it to looking like it should. Would painting the top(not sure of color, but looks to be Ivory like) be consistent? And the flat sides of the SW Coniston green bring me back to within guidelines?
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Also do we need special treatment /prep to paint sides or top?
Thank you
Saw a Coniston Green Convertible going south on Henry Hudson/Saw Mill this am at 11:30 or so.
He didn't see me ,but I was in my Defender.
Thanks

#42 · (Edited)
Don't paint the roof is supposed to be like that. Read alot of threads on this forum.

You can remove the roof and sides wwith ease

change your oil your coolant and get scan gaUge II and report back.

read a dozen or so threads on both topics, its good to bump old "threads"

nice truck welcome to the clubtell us some history of the truck

nato steel wheels are betbetter than boost alloys

#43 ·
So the roof came in the silver finish?
Wheels are growing on me
I was led to believe the roof removal was a major no no
I was actually thinking of swapping for a convertible
Is that what they call them?

Did oil, fuel, new shocks,stabilizer, ball joints, tires and now to get some miles under its belt .
Fold down steps, or running boards?

Looking for a cargo rack and ladder
Thanks all
Labor On
Andy in New York

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.