Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Turn Key but Engine Keeps Running (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/turn-key-but-engine-keeps-running-71716.html)

1of40 July 1st, 2016 02:15 PM

Turn Key but Engine Keeps Running

So, yesterday I was meeting a buddy for beers and when I arrived at the bar I turned the Key to Off but the engine kept running. Very weird feeling BTW. I turned it back and tried again, no luck so I just stalled it and started drinking. Started back up just fine but when I got home I had to stall it again.

I've read about other folks having this issue with an early 110 Diesel and the advice they received was pull the lead off the stop solenoid. If it stops, then its an electrical issue, if it doesn't then its a mechanical issue with the solenoid.

Sound right/reasonable way to trouble shoot this thing?

Uncle Douglas July 1st, 2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 751358)
So, yesterday I was meeting a buddy for beers and when I arrived at the bar I turned the Key to Off but the engine kept running. Very weird feeling BTW. I turned it back and tried again, no luck so I just stalled it and started drinking. Started back up just fine but when I got home I had to stall it again.

I've read about other folks having this issue with an early 110 Diesel and the advice they received was pull the lead off the stop solenoid. If it stops, then its an electrical issue, if it doesn't then its a mechanical issue with the solenoid.

Sound right/reasonable way to trouble shoot this thing?

yep, pulling the wire is easier than using a meter.

1of40 July 1st, 2016 02:22 PM

Gracias

mongosd2 July 1st, 2016 02:28 PM

it's actually the fuel cutoff solenoid. Single wire on injector pump and grounds thru the solenoid...

Nomar July 1st, 2016 02:36 PM

Clay, your motor is actually so happy to finally be running it's overriding your decisions...:grin

down_shift July 1st, 2016 03:07 PM

Glad you didn't say blow by.
http://youtu.be/5zx3qKX_Pno

1of40 July 1st, 2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomar (Post 751364)
Clay, your motor is actually so happy to finally be running it's overriding your decisions...:grin .

Exactly. She's absolutely scared of garages.

------ Follow up post added July 1st, 2016 04:41 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by down_shift (Post 751372)
Glad you didn't say blow by. http://youtu.be/5zx3qKX_Pno

yeah, simple single wire engines.

1of40 July 2nd, 2016 11:56 AM

Pulled the solenoid wire while engine was running and engine stopped. In hindsight the wire seemed a little loose.

Lightly sanded/cleaned the connections, reconnected. Whah-la! Back in business.

LostChord July 2nd, 2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 751482)
Pulled the solenoid wire while engine was running and engine stopped. In hindsight the wire seemed a little loose. Lightly sanded/cleaned the connections, reconnected. Whah-la! Back in business.

Awesome !

1of40 July 2nd, 2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostChord (Post 751488)
Awesome !

Yeah, seriously. Not that it's rocket science but I watched a YouTube on it and the guy was talking about how tricky it is to remove while in the truck and the abundance of caution re not getting dirt inside while removing it. My grin meter was pegged when all finally checked out this morning.

Z.G July 2nd, 2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 751492)
Yeah, seriously. Not that it's rocket science but I watched a YouTube on it and the guy was talking about how tricky it is to remove while in the truck and the abundance of caution re not getting dirt inside while removing it. My grin meter was pegged when all finally checked out this morning.

Be glad it wasn't a 300 setup with the tamper proof cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1of40 July 2nd, 2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z.G (Post 751493)
Be glad it wasn't a 300 setup with the tamper proof cover! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, read about that nightmare. Shear bolts and the whole nine yards. No thank you.

Z.G July 2nd, 2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 751494)
Yeah, read about that nightmare. Shear bolts and the whole nine yards. No thank you.

It's not awful, just takes a while. I removed mine while doing the conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1of40 July 3rd, 2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z.G (Post 751499)
It's not awful, just takes a while. I removed mine while doing the conversion Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, during conversion is key. This poor guy was remote somewhere in Germany when shit hit his fan with just basic hand tools.

Bill Larson July 3rd, 2016 02:39 PM

Can you post the link to the video you watched...my son just called from the road with his 200 TDI with the same issue. The fuel pump was just replaced so I'm thinking same issue. I'll search but wondering if you can post the link.

1of40 July 3rd, 2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Larson (Post 751626)
Can you post the link to the video you watched...my son just called from the road with his 200 TDI with the same issue. The fuel pump was just replaced so I'm thinking same issue. I'll search but wondering if you can post the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7C3UNVL0lTw&autoplay=1

Good Luck Bill

Bill Larson July 3rd, 2016 02:48 PM

Thanks...he called me from the fuel station about 3 hours from Austin driving from Detroit...did it in two days. Pretty good for a 17 year old in a Soft top 87 ExMOD!! of course the heats gotta be killing him, lol.

1of40 July 3rd, 2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Larson (Post 751628)
Thanks...he called me from the fuel station about 3 hours from Austin driving from Detroit...did it in two days. Pretty good for a 17 year old in a Soft top 87 ExMOD!! of course the heats gotta be killing him, lol.

That's very impressive for a 17yo these days. Great life lessons though.

Bill Larson July 3rd, 2016 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 751629)
That's very impressive for a 17yo these days. Great life lessons though.

Yeah he did a 7 day trip with a buddy a few weeks ago for prep and has been on several expeditions. We did the Tejas to Alaska run last year so lots of miles on this kid. 1700 miles in a day and a half so I hope that this is the only problem...next week we caravan to New Mexico for 3 weeks and she goes to Roadside Rob's for updates, new trans, power steering and the like.

1of40 July 3rd, 2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Larson (Post 751626)

Dave Bobeck and I were chatting about this yesterday. What you might tell your son to do is to give it a few taps with a flathead and a hammer. If the spring is gunk'd it may dislodge enough to get him on his way.