Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Truck Build-up's & Restores (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/)
-   -   1989 110 19J to Defender 200TDI Swap and ETC. (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/1989-110-19j-to-defender-200tdi-swap-and-etc-69450.html)

DailyDrivenDefende March 26th, 2016 12:07 AM

1989 110 19J to Defender 200TDI Swap and ETC.

5 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I have been asking sporadic questions all over the forum and I figure I would get organized a bit so that what I go through would help other people as well.

This is how I bought it back in November 2015, IIRC.

DailyDrivenDefende March 26th, 2016 12:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So far I ordered and received Defender 200TDI from UK.

Mounted on the engine stand and ready for clean up.

DailyDrivenDefende March 26th, 2016 12:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have taken the front wings and grill out.

It was fun removing the hood by myself.

DailyDrivenDefende March 26th, 2016 12:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been cleaning the engine and getting ready for fresh coat of paint on the block.

After removing all the dirt/oil/grease/grime, I noticed the block is gold(?).

I have ordered POR15 for the coloring. I have heard this thing is basically only paint that you cannot undo.

I am planning on doing the bulkhead with POR15 as well.

DailyDrivenDefende March 26th, 2016 12:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been tinkering with turbo and rusted hardware.

So far, I got both downpipe and the manifold separated from the turbo.

I thought about rebuilding the turbo but after spending weeks of soaking and heating the hardware, I still could not undo the 4 bolts on CHRA. Decided to go with VNT. Which makes me wonder if I should do a top end rebuild.....

I picked up Harbor Freight Diesel Compression Tester to check the compression before deciding if I should do the top end rebuild or not.
20 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester

I will be doing the compression test tomorrow.

Just to give a little history of the engine. I bought the engine off of a guy name Mark Prinold. He has been selling 200TDI engine kits through ebay and I could not find any negative feedback. He has been pretty good with communication but I haven't reported any problems yet so I don't know if he would change his demeanor when I sing a different tune.

In the kit, I supposedly have been given all the components (some new and majority of them are old) I need to bolt the engine in.

While it is mostly complete with fan shroud and belts, hoses.... I am also suffering from what you all are dealing with, the ship fitter's disease.

So as I am tearing down stuff, I am ordering parts.

DailyDrivenDefende March 26th, 2016 01:00 AM

Q: How do you guys clean your dirty small parts and bolts?

DailyDrivenDefende March 27th, 2016 02:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been using tumbler with walnut media to get the grease and caked dirt off of the hardware. It has been doing a descent job but not great. Got me a part washer and will be giving that a try.

Variable Nozzle Turbo showed up today from Allisport. Of course, there is something missing from the shipment. I cannot find any gaskets in the box..

To receive the turbo, it took a full week from the time of order to receiving it.

Downpipe is cast. I thought it was going to be flange welded to a mendrel bent pipe.

Let's see how responsive Allisport UK is.

DailyDrivenDefende March 27th, 2016 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Removed the fan clutch, used bicycle tool. Has 4 sizes built in and it only cost $15 shipped.

Fan clutch (32mm) is reverse threaded on 200tdi. Bosch 8 cyl was not. Thought that was interesting.

DailyDrivenDefende March 27th, 2016 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bulkhead was picked up. I am debating if I should sand blast this and POR it or just paint over the existing paint. It almost has no rust.

DailyDrivenDefende March 27th, 2016 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took the head off of the block...

Not looking good.

Any recommendations????

DailyDrivenDefende March 27th, 2016 10:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cross hatch patterns for resident experts' review..

o2batsea March 27th, 2016 11:30 PM

Bucket of diesel and a couple different kinds of brushes. Was it low on compression?

Red90 March 27th, 2016 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende (Post 726412)
Took the head off of the block... Not looking good. Any recommendations????

What do you think looks bad?

DailyDrivenDefende March 28th, 2016 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red90 (Post 726421)
What do you think looks bad?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...p;d=1459133758

If you look at the right side, you can see where the exhaust has been leaking.

Or is this something you saw already and don't consider being not a big problem?

I'd rather have the latter.

I am ready to have the head rebuilt. My concern is the deck on the block.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&d=1459133758

BTW, how does the cross hatching look to you?

DailyDrivenDefende March 28th, 2016 12:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VpgtRTHaJk

What do you think of his technique in cleaning the top deck?

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2016 09:17 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2batsea (Post 726420)
Bucket of diesel and a couple different kinds of brushes. Was it low on compression?

Yes, the last cylinder towards the rear of the vehicle had no compression.

Red90 March 28th, 2016 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende (Post 726423)
If you look at the right side, you can see where the exhaust has been leaking. Or is this something you saw already and don't consider being not a big problem? I'd rather have the latter. I am ready to have the head rebuilt. My concern is the deck on the block. BTW, how does the cross hatching look to you?

Not sure what you are seeing. The pictures are not clear enough to see anything. Is the exhaust valve broken?

Cross hatching looks fine. Basically like new. Just clean with a scotchbrite pad and some solvent.

DailyDrivenDefende March 28th, 2016 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am glad that cross hatching checks out.

I made some highlights on the photo. Look at the carbon buildup on the deck and on the head on the corresponding side.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&d=1459133758

BTW, which brand of head gasket do you recommend, John?

Red90 March 28th, 2016 12:54 AM

Just looks like gasket material to me. If they leak, it is normally into the tappet.

Elring head gasket. http://turnerengineering.co.uk/acata...t-TDI-294.html

DailyDrivenDefende March 28th, 2016 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red90 (Post 726431)
Just looks like gasket material to me. If they leak, it is normally into the tappet.

I want to take your word for it but when I did the compression test, that cylinder did not build any pressure that I can read. That got me undoing the head this evening.

LOL. I have to say I always look for your response in all my posts, John.

Having said that.

Can any machine shop that rebuild head work on any head like redoing valve guide and seals and such? Should I be looking for someone who works on rovers instead?

Do I need to index the push rods before taking them out? Or should I just drop off the entire head with them?

speedpin March 28th, 2016 07:46 AM

Michael,
The swap is coming along, good job! the head should clean up as long as there are no cracks between the valves (bad) and between the injector and glow tips (not as bad). The head gasket was probably failed at the spot highlighted on the head, where the carbon build up was. You can always go with a turner gas flowed head for more performance and piece of mind :) about 1400$ I think but its bolt on. I had to do some homework and help my machine shop with the specs on the valve play etc. Not a lot of shops deal with tdi rover heads. maybe a local guy will chime in with a shop close to you. but get pressure tested, new valve seals, valve job, and skim to ensure its flat for new elring gasket.

Also! on the defender tdi you can not remove or install the thermostat housing if the head is attached to the block. The bolts hit the timing cover. Make sure you have a good gasket on the housing prior to putting the head on the block. maybe use some shorter bolts so you can remove it if needed without pulling entire head just to replace gasket. can be a pain! :)
Adam