Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Wanted (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   WTB: 1.2 LT230 - Bay Area, Truckee, Reno (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f10/wtb-1-2-lt230-bay-area-truckee-reno-69423.html)

GuamPilot March 24th, 2016 06:45 PM

WTB: 1.2 LT230 - Bay Area, Truckee, Reno

HELP!

So, my wife, daughter and I were happily driving our newly acquired '88 110 from Salt Lake City to San Francisco (actually San Bruno.) Started making NOISE, the speedometer quit and as I pulled into the Donner Pass rest stop, it locked up!

Currently sitting in the tow company yard in Truckee while I'm writting this from Chengdu, China (my job.)

I need to buy a 1.2 LT230. Not fussy about donor as long as it can be reasonably assumed to be in good, reliable condition. My 110 has the R380.

I plan to drive to Truckee Tuesday morning (March 29th.) I can pick up in the Bay Area Monday afternoon or while on my way to Truckee Tuesday. Will pick up in Reno if needed.

Or ship to San Bruno.

Haven't shopped the salvage yards yet, The Defender Source is always the first place I go shopping.

Does anyone have a used parts source they can recommend in the Bay Area, Sacramento, Truckee, Reno areas?

Thanks!

Mike

mgreenspan March 24th, 2016 07:18 PM

I have one from an 04 DII that is not for sale. If you can't buy one by Tuesday though let me know. I'm in Nevada City.

GuamPilot March 24th, 2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgreenspan (Post 725662)
I have one from an 04 DII that is not for sale. If you can't buy one by Tuesday though let me know. I'm in Nevada City.

Thanks, I've got a lead, but I'll let you know if it falls through.

Mike

GuamPilot March 24th, 2016 08:04 PM

Here is a picture of the 1988 110 (if I can figure out how to do it from my iPad.)

Mike

TigerDan March 24th, 2016 08:47 PM

I have one from a DI, LT230t model. I'm in Lake County, 2 hrs. North of the Bay Area.

Viton March 24th, 2016 08:57 PM

Check the salvage lot in Rancho Cordova.
There is one there that deals in English vehicles.
There bound to have one from a D1.

British Recyclers

GuamPilot March 25th, 2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuamPilot (Post 725674)
Here is a picture of the 1988 110 (if I can figure out how to do it from my iPad.)

Mike

FAIL!!!

:eek:

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2016 03:13 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viton (Post 725681)
Check the salvage lot in Rancho Cordova.
There is one there that deals in English vehicles.
There bound to have one from a D1.

British Recyclers

Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.

Mike

El Solis March 25th, 2016 01:45 AM

Pretty sure British Recyclers is no more. One of the guys in my club owned it. There was some issue with his business partner. Always worth a call though.

GuamPilot March 25th, 2016 05:34 PM

Looks like I found a transfer case.

Can someone give me an estimate of the number of hours a shop would need to make this swap?

Is there someone in the Truckee area who would want to rent me their garage on Tuesday? :flowers:

Can someone recommend a shop in or near Truckee? I can do the swap myself, but I don't want to do it in a parking lot in the weather.

Thanks,

Mike

GuamPilot March 26th, 2016 12:00 AM

Replace seals?

Since I'm going to have my "new" LT230 in hand, is there any reason to not change the input and output shaft seals?

I've been watching Youtube videos to learn how to change the seals. A couple questions:

Do I need a 30mm socket?

Can I carefully tap the new seals in with just a hammer? Or do I really need the correct tool?

Any other specific tools?

I'm still looking on Youtube, does anyone have a link to a good video?

Thanks,

Mike

javelinadave March 26th, 2016 12:28 AM

Mike,
You will need a 30mm socket and the back side of a hub tool to seat the seals squarely.

Here is a pretty good tutorial:
https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...renewal.81771/

Hub tool:
http://www.landroverstuff.com/images/hnw2.JPG

GuamPilot March 26th, 2016 12:43 AM

Thanks Dave, that's what I'm looking for.

Do you ever layover in SFO?

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by javelinadave (Post 725978)
Mike,
You will need a 30mm socket and the back side of a hub tool to seat the seals squarely.

Here is a pretty good tutorial:
https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...renewal.81771/

Hub tool:
http://www.landroverstuff.com/images/hnw2.JPG

javelinadave March 26th, 2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuamPilot (Post 725979)
Thanks Dave, that's what I'm looking for.

Do you ever layover in SFO?

Mike

I'll let you know the next time I do.:thumb:
I'm not a fan of the Landyzone crowd but Busters tutorials are for the most part pretty well done.

GuamPilot March 26th, 2016 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javelinadave (Post 725981)
I'm not a fan of the Landyzone crowd but Busters tutorials are for the most part pretty well done.

Just finished the tutorial. Not sure I agree with packing the bearing with bearing grease! :eek:

And just to verify, use 90wt or 80/90wt gear lube in the LT230?

Does anyone know if an LT230 will fit in a 5 gallon paint bucket?

Mike

TigerDan March 26th, 2016 01:18 AM

Not even in pieces. Well, I suppose you could fit most of the internals but not the case. And yes, basically 90 wt. I just filled one with 75/90, the owner insisted on Royal Purple.

GuamPilot March 26th, 2016 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another attempt to upload a picture of my "new" 1988 110.

Mike

GuamPilot March 26th, 2016 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDan (Post 725986)
Not even in pieces. Well, I suppose you could fit most of the internals but not the case.

Does anyone know the approximate size box an LT230 needs? I have to buy a plastic tote to keep from messing up the carpet. Need to keep my wonderful wife happy! :)

Mike

javelinadave March 26th, 2016 01:32 AM

Very nice looking ride.
Congrats!

GuamPilot March 26th, 2016 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javelinadave (Post 725989)
Very nice looking ride.
Congrats!

Thank you! I think we will be very happy with it. I just find the 90 a little small for a lot of what we do. And the 300Tdi is an improvement over the 2.5NA.

Yes, we are keeping the 90.

Mike

TigerDan March 26th, 2016 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuamPilot (Post 725988)
Does anyone know the approximate size box an LT230 needs? I have to buy a plastic tote to keep from messing up the carpet. Need to keep my wonderful wife happy! :)

Mike

Laying flat about 20X22 if the brake assembly is installed, w/o brake ass'y about 18X22. And a little over a foot tall. Weight is about 100 lbs. And depending on what model you wound up getting there may be a couple of studs on the bottom (and various other pointy protuberances) that could punch holes in the bottom of a tote, so bring something for cushioning.

As for time to complete the swap...I just did one on a 90, took me about 4 hours but I already had the floorboards removed which made it a bit easier. Not absolutely necessary though. And is this LT you're getting from an automatic truck, and if so do you know about removing the interlock solenoid?

Did you find a place to work on it yet? If not, I know a guy who has a hanger out at the Truckee airport and has a lift inside, he has a NAS 110 and a D90. Haven't spoken to him for a couple years but he might be amenable, very nice guy. I could try to get in touch with him.