Defender Source Forum banner

PUMA Battery Reconnection Instructions - immobiliser/alarm concern

Tags
battery
5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flippedrover 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've had a PUMA Defender 2008 sitting with the battery disconnected for over a week. I disconnected as per the manual and the alarm didn't complain.

I searched the internet first for instructions on reconnected it and have read a few horror stories of alarms going off and inconsistent immobilizer 'functionality' (being 'out of sync'). Also mention of sequences of keys, doors and so on to get it back to normal.

The manual doesn't mention any of this and simply:

Effects of disconnecting
After reconnecting the battery, a number of the vehicle systems will be reset automatically. This may take a few minutes. Some systems have to detect certain conditions while the vehicle is being driven before full operability returns. This is no way affects the safe operation of the vehicle.
The alarm would be the last thing I need with the car where it is...

Can anyone confirm a PUMA reconnect without issues ?

#2 ·
Welcome.
We're very much biased here to the North American market with its V8. As a result we have very little experience with the Puma powered Defender.
Think you won't know until you energize. My habit has always been to connect the negative earth/ground wire first.

#3 ·
I never disconnected the positive - it was resting unconnected for weeks anyway so the caps and so on would have depleted charge without me connected the leads.

So anyway I just bit the bullet, some strange undefined behaviour at first and no response to the fob but then the alarm LED turned on and indicated it was immobilised but not alarmed, so I just went with it and turned it over with success. Took it for a 20min spin and now it appears to work with the fob alarm signals...

Just like the manual said - who woulda thunk :)

Out of interest, did I perhaps not read something that meant I should be aware that this is a North American forum only? (not saying you're excluding us Puma owners on purpose... I understand why they are a rare model in your parts)

#4 ·
I never disconnected the positive - it was resting unconnected for weeks anyway so the caps and so on would have depleted charge without me connected the leads. So anyway I just bit the bullet, some strange undefined behaviour at first and no response to the fob but then the alarm LED turned on and indicated it was immobilised but not alarmed, so I just went with it and turned it over with success. Took it for a 20min spin and now it appears to work with the fob alarm signals... Just like the manual said - who woulda thunk :) Out of interest, did I perhaps not read something that meant I should be aware that this is a North American forum only? (not saying you're excluding us Puma owners on purpose... I understand why they are a rare model in your parts)
it's more biased to North American trucks as well as 200-300tdi trucks. Pumas are very rare here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.