Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Truck Build-up's & Restores (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/)
-   -   Nev (89 110) rhd (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/nev-89-110-rhd-64499.html)

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 09:28 AM

Nev (89 110) rhd

9 Attachment(s)
Picked up a 1989 110 2.5TD, RHD while I was stationed overseas . . . a bit rough. Had a little done to it to start off with and have a bit more to do.

What I started out with:

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 09:37 AM

Plan to start out:

2 new front doors, didn't feel like playing around with the cancer on these
Seats were ok, but started looking for some newer ones out of a Puma and also looking at the kits to recover them. Ended up picking up the front 2 and middle row out of a 2014 for about the same cost
Dyanamat
Stereo
new belts, hoses, fluids
paint
head liner was rough so had it done
added a roof rack and RTT

adding more pics below

Holiday August 26th, 2015 09:44 AM

There's something special about patina on red rovers. Looks like a fun project (welcome back).

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 09:51 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Removal of seats, prep for paint, install of Dynamat and seats, headliner etc.

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 09:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More of this than I would have liked. A project that will need to be tended to at a later date, repairing properly. :rolleyes

nathanwind August 26th, 2015 10:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Man, are you *sure* you need paint? I thought my red was toast, but it came right back to life with a day of buffing with 3M compound:

Attachment 128056 Attachment 128055

EDIT: whoops, just saw your recent post with the paint strip down :).

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 10:09 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Back from the paint shop . . .

nathanwind August 26th, 2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanabewheelin (Post 666428)
Back from the paint shop . . .

Does look pretty good! Just clean up the overspray on the chassis frame horns, tie rod, etc :).

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 10:31 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Dynamat going in, head liner . . .

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 11:15 AM

10 Attachment(s)
new carpet going in, head liner, rear bumper, seats being fitted, came together nicely

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 11:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Seats fitted, MUD console and stereo, RTT tested SAT . . . this is on the outskirts of London, we also camped in Belgium and Normandy. PRICELESS!!!

Firemanshort August 26th, 2015 11:29 AM

That looks really nice.

Is the truck still in the UK or back in Wash DC?

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Shocks were rusted badly so replaced all and added a 2" lift in the process as it was no additional cost . . . seemed to be a no brainer:popcorn:

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firemanshort (Post 666466)
That looks really nice.

Is the truck still in the UK or back in Wash DC?

She is thankfully here in DC, my DD . . .

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 12:43 PM

So upon picking it up at the Vehicle Processing Center, she was overheating something awful. 3 gallons low on coolant believe the guys said. The Kenlow had malfunctioned at some point, ended up replacing the entire unit and luckily doesn't appear any other damage has been done to the engine. Have been driving it for about a month daily with no overheating.

Have a laundry list of items to get knocked out:

Heater fan seems to be out, have read up on this on the forum. Looking to replace it with perhaps this unit (Thanks Red90)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...hartsandguides

Am working on sealing up the cab, the guy that did some of the work replaced the 2 front door seals with after market seals and they curve at the upper front corners which allows a water and air to come in. He also didn't align the doors when he replaced them, they didn't close very well, I have learned a ton about the doors since last year. They close much better.

Have new seals on order. Think this will help a ton. Also have new seals on hand for the front vents, just need to install.

Just installed the KBX High Force wing top vent, don't think this is the answer to my problems, but looks cool :grin

Wipers don't seam to stop when I turn them off, read up on this and will see if any of the items I found will work. Believe I may have water coming in and have a short on the wiper motor, very possible. Plan on pulling down the head liner to see where water is coming in. Initially the sun roof was leaking, have fixed this, the 1000 mile drive from London to Naples, Italy was even longer as it was raining the majority of the time and constant cold drips made me want to strangle someone. :eek: It happens . . . I do recall asking him if the sunroof leaked, the gasket was old and had pulled back. Ended up cutting it in the middle back and applying some marine caulk to seal it up until I could get a new gasket ordered.

Also have the wonderful Wiper Slap, so will need to see if I can work some magic on that. Set screw huh . . . we will see

Put 2 speakers in the front dash, wanted to put a set in front doors and a set in the middle row doors, but we shifted gears as it didn't seem like the doors would support the heavy speakers. Ended up putting them firing forward in the battery box on both sides. Sounds good, down side is unless I turn it up super loud you can't hear it in the back.

Have a amp pushing it, it gets loud and will blow you out, but then the wife isn't happy.

Will have to run another set in the rear to resolve the issue and make :icon_peace:

Wife also wants a step on her side, might better get this done sooner than later

Also debating a Webasto . . . (pros/cons)???

Have oil leaking from the axle tubes, from research it sounds as if the dust caps need to be replaced. I have crappy plastic ones which are loose and cracked or scared in areas. Have new OEM (rubber) ones on order.

Was reading last night about wipers and saw that it was suggested to replace the fuse box for the newer style. Not something on the top of my list, but think I may add it to the list, just down a bit. Hate the old style, if only because I end up breaking them half the time or can't tell if they are blown the other half. Need to add a few things anyway so might be a good time to do just that.

Insufficient leg room in middle row due to battery box . . . still working on fix for this
complicated by me being 6'1" and having moved the drivers seat back additionally. The newer style seats from the Puma seam to sit much flatter, they need to have the front edge moved up to support the thigh which would also tilt the back of the seat I believe. May have to cut into the rear wheel arch, have seen the done, not in my wheel house. Anyone in the DC area like to weld aluminum??

Made room for the seat to be pushed back by putting the smaller 2 person bench on each side vice the 3 person bench. Just need to figure out the rest, which is the hard part unfortunately.

--------------------

Additional items completed:

Replaced front seat belts.
Installed tree sliders
Installed front winch bumper (need winch)
Installed MUD Seat rails

Think that gets us up to date . . .

Elbee August 26th, 2015 02:49 PM

Looks great. How was the bulkhead? Did you have to repair the upper part?
Also where did you source the "country" stripes decals?

1of40 August 26th, 2015 02:49 PM

Great looking truck. Which paint shop did you work with?

wanabewheelin August 26th, 2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elbee (Post 666534)
Looks great. How was the bulkhead? Did you have to repair the upper part?
Also where did you source the "country" stripes decals?

Some work was done to it, all of the work above was done last year over in the UK. Decals were sourced over there as well. I can see if I can get the contact. They were not spendy if I recall

------ Follow up post added August 26th, 2015 11:07 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1of40 (Post 666535)
Great looking truck. Which paint shop did you work with?

The paint was done in the UK as well, not a quality job, my guy has since shifted to a new shop.

1of40 August 26th, 2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanabewheelin (Post 666538)
The paint was done in the UK as well, not a quality job, my guy has since shifted to a new shop.

No biggie. It'll fit in with 90% of the rest of our old Rovers then.

wanabewheelin August 30th, 2015 08:39 PM

Made a little progress, pulled the headliner down and had my son up on the roof with hose so we could find leaks. Not as bad as I thought it was, but did find a few. Will post pics later. Rear vents, couple other places. Marine adhesive caulk like I used on the sun roof.

Also started to build the rear speaker boxes for the upper corners. Have the MDF all cut and almost all dry fit. Just ran out of time tonight, had to get the truck back together.

Took a look at the wipers for the wiper slap issue, might be a more serious issue.

All for now . . .