Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Misc. Chit-Chat (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   Extremely Delayed Delivery of a 110 from Vendor(Need Advice) (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f14/extremely-delayed-delivery-of-a-110-from-vendor-need-advice-59254.html)

JehovahNissi77 January 22nd, 2015 01:56 PM

Extremely Delayed Delivery of a 110 from Vendor(Need Advice)
 

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of years now. I would like to request some advice on dealing with a vendor. I was waiting to take delivery before I made an official introduction. Needless to say I have not taken possession of the vehicle yet.

What follows is a truncated account of my purchase experience so far!

I was coming off Active Duty from the Marine Corps and had to sell my '04 Discovery for the good of the family. After I got a civilian job in the local area I began to look for a replacement Rover as I only wanted my previous Disco back and any other one would have not been the same. I had settled on a '90 given the budget but the '110 came up at what seemed to be a good price and 3 months didn't seem that bad of a wait.

I contacted the vendor and spoke about the vehicle. I put a down payment on the '110 in April of 2013 with expected delivery in June 2013. The vehicle did not arrive in June. The vendor eventually reported "complications" but the vehicle ended up arriving in the US in October 2013. I went and saw the vehicle during Thanksgiving November 2013 but could not take possession, as it was not in the condition described. It was not yet registered as per the purchase agreement and most importantly did not have the means to move under its own power. I was assured delivery early the next year (2014).

The vender did contact me in early January 2014 stating an evaluation was completed on the vehicle as I wanted them to ensure it was road worthy for the 500+ mile drive home. The vendor then fell silent for another period of time. We eventually had a conference call after a few months at which point I requested my deposit back. The vendor stated I could not get my deposit back as the vehicle was imported for me and I owned it. (No, I don't have a title, just receipts with the corresponding invoices.) The vendor stated that the only way I could get my money back was if he sold the '110 on my behalf, at which point money would be returned to me. The vehicle of course has gone up in value just sitting in the US, given the circumstance under which the vehicle was purchased. I still wanted the vehicle so decided to play along expecting delivery again in June 2014. The vehicle again was still not ready for delivery.

There has been a string of events at the vendors shop that has been reportedly delaying my vehicle, customs, staff restructuring in the shop, weather, shop expansion and the latest a shop break in where tools were stolen.

Communication has gone silent since December where the shop manger to which I was referred refuses to return my calls or provide an e-mail update despite their office continually stating they are passing him messages to give me an update on the status of the vehicle.

Since it’s been almost 2 years at this point waiting for delivery and I have a little one on the way I'm trying to figure out the next best course of action or a way to end this. I would like the vendor to succeed in his endeavors but at this point, I'm a little tired of being like that kid from the movie "Better Off Dead" constantly asking for my $2 in order to get my vehicle. (I know it didn’t end well for the kid.)

My friends think I should go to the "Base Legal Office" since I’m still in the reserves, but I'm not out to ruin anyone. At this point however it appears I've run out of options. The vendor seems to be well respected for the most part on this board, which is why I'm requesting your advice.

Should I give him more time since I have waited so long or take a more formal legal route or is there another option I am not aware of?

It’s disheartening to see the vendor posting up pictures their website and of the new vehicles he has taken into his shop to work on posted on to see my vehicle being pushed down the line further and further.

Thanks in advance,
Ceyon


javelinadave January 22nd, 2015 02:01 PM

Base legal sounds like a good path to take.

sonoronos January 22nd, 2015 02:04 PM

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...yon#post569080

BostonAndy January 22nd, 2015 02:15 PM

pm sent

RickM January 22nd, 2015 02:15 PM

Based on what we have heard about imports lately, and stuff with 110's, I think you have reason to be nervous, but I am also thinking I would really make sure are confident in what you are paying for. Maybe loosing your deposit is your best outcome.

solarguy January 22nd, 2015 02:24 PM

I would be in touch with Roverenvy. Maybe you guys should talk. As what he is going to do. I would also be contacting an attorney.

transientmechanic January 22nd, 2015 02:35 PM

:rolleyes

Bill Larson January 22nd, 2015 02:43 PM

You have more patience than I do...I would be at his door. Good Luck.

NPT90 January 22nd, 2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JehovahNissi77 (Post 601503)
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a couple of years now. I would like to request some advice on dealing with a vendor. I was waiting to take delivery before I made an official introduction. Needless to say I have not taken possession of the vehicle yet.

What follows is a truncated account of my purchase experience so far!

I was coming off Active Duty from the Marine Corps and had to sell my '04 Discovery for the good of the family. After I got a civilian job in the local area I began to look for a replacement Rover as I only wanted my previous Disco back and any other one would have not been the same. I had settled on a '90 given the budget but the '110 came up at what seemed to be a good price and 3 months didn't seem that bad of a wait.

I contacted the vendor and spoke about the vehicle. I put a down payment on the '110 in April of 2013 with expected delivery in June 2013. The vehicle did not arrive in June. The vendor eventually reported "complications" but the vehicle ended up arriving in the US in October 2013. I went and saw the vehicle during Thanksgiving November 2013 but could not take possession, as it was not in the condition described. It was not yet registered as per the purchase agreement and most importantly did not have the means to move under its own power. I was assured delivery early the next year (2014).

The vender did contact me in early January 2014 stating an evaluation was completed on the vehicle as I wanted them to ensure it was road worthy for the 500+ mile drive home. The vendor then fell silent for another period of time. We eventually had a conference call after a few months at which point I requested my deposit back. The vendor stated I could not get my deposit back as the vehicle was imported for me and I owned it. (No, I don't have a title, just receipts with the corresponding invoices.) The vendor stated that the only way I could get my money back was if he sold the '110 on my behalf, at which point money would be returned to me. The vehicle of course has gone up in value just sitting in the US, given the circumstance under which the vehicle was purchased. I still wanted the vehicle so decided to play along expecting delivery again in June 2014. The vehicle again was still not ready for delivery.

There has been a string of events at the vendors shop that has been reportedly delaying my vehicle, customs, staff restructuring in the shop, weather, shop expansion and the latest a shop break in where tools were stolen.

Communication has gone silent since December where the shop manger to which I was referred refuses to return my calls or provide an e-mail update despite their office continually stating they are passing him messages to give me an update on the status of the vehicle.

Since it’s been almost 2 years at this point waiting for delivery and I have a little one on the way I'm trying to figure out the next best course of action or a way to end this. I would like the vendor to succeed in his endeavors but at this point, I'm a little tired of being like that kid from the movie "Better Off Dead" constantly asking for my $2 in order to get my vehicle. (I know it didn’t end well for the kid.)

My friends think I should go to the "Base Legal Office" since I’m still in the reserves, but I'm not out to ruin anyone. At this point however it appears I've run out of options. The vendor seems to be well respected for the most part on this board, which is why I'm requesting your advice.

Should I give him more time since I have waited so long or take a more formal legal route or is there another option I am not aware of?

It’s disheartening to see the vendor posting up pictures their website and of the new vehicles he has taken into his shop to work on posted on to see my vehicle being pushed down the line further and further.

Thanks in advance,
Ceyon


My advice, do whats best for you, it seems the peanut gallery has forgotten that in the end everyone's opinions are just that. If I had a nickle for everyone who has offered me advice on 'my situation' I'd have like at least $5 at this point.

Just remember, there is money involved, there is time and there is most certainly frustration.

Just take everyone's advice with a grain of salt, explore your options and pick the best route that works for you.

rijosho January 22nd, 2015 02:48 PM

Was it this truck for $7,500?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=44791

Just wondering, given these pics:

http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/photos/?album=Ceyon110

JehovahNissi77 January 22nd, 2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Larson (Post 601533)
You have more patience than I do...I would be at his door. Good Luck.

I've been keeping the other "DevilDogs" at bay the first couple of months it was funny to them now I'm getting offers for a "roadtrips". I attempted a site visit when I went down to visit family over New Year but there was not answer from the shop. I figure ok maybe they took a break for the holiday, but not returning any of my calls in the past 4 weeks I'm not ok with that.

------ Follow up post added January 22nd, 2015 03:02 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rijosho (Post 601536)




You're fast.

1of40 January 22nd, 2015 03:14 PM

Wow, that truck (and the shop) sound like they are wrestling with a number of challenges. Be careful what you ask for. Starting over with a better platform and a more responsive vendor may save you thousands in the long run.

Clay

chris snell January 22nd, 2015 03:17 PM

Edited. This sounds shady as hell but it sounds like there was some expectations that should have set and we're not.

o2batsea January 22nd, 2015 03:28 PM

How big a down payment are we talking? Half? You are looking at about another conservative 10 grand to get it roadworthy. If you get a new chassis add another 5. Good luck with all that.

sonoronos January 22nd, 2015 03:30 PM

Eh. Edited. Demand a refund of the deposit, end of story.

Overlander January 22nd, 2015 03:31 PM

2 years would be beyond my patience level, thats' for sure. I think every vendor on this forum should have a thread for people to comment on, to allow current and future customers to see the good and the bad before making a decision. Please do comment on the thread I started and keep it up to date for all to see on how this plays out.

JehovahNissi77 January 22nd, 2015 03:32 PM

You guys put 1 + 1 together really fast. My wife was also on the conference call and that got ugly fast. She didn't throw around the D word but I told her I would handle it believing the vendor would make good on his promises in short order. This has been fatiguing on many levels. When the children start asking when I'm getting the vehicle it get's even more upsetting we were planning to use it for a family vacation to the outer banks during summer of '13 and last summer. I'm surprised even my wife was excited about getting this one. At this point I'm not sure whose more disappointed but I do know that we all are.


I think a man's word should mean something especially if you are in business.

Overlander January 22nd, 2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonoronos (Post 601547)
OK...I don't know what is going on here, but for $7500, I would just take the truck as is and fix it myself. Swap in a replacement engine and drivetrain from an old disco I and a new bulkhead and done.

I won't comment on ULC. However, I will say that for $7500, there is no way you're going to get anyone to fix a bulkhead and put in a working motor for free. More than likely, you'll end up with a situation where you insist that you get a new bulkhead and motor for free and they will just refuse. Seems like the situation at hand.

The situation sucks (as seems to be the norm) but my advice to you is to get your truck and cut your losses. And for $7500, you're not losing much. That is dirt cheap for a 110 SW.


I would also agree that if your 110 was only $7500 then that's a project fixer upper for sure. A reliable ROW daily driver budget should be around $20-$25k minimum, and fully restored is north of $80k.

1of40 January 22nd, 2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2batsea (Post 601546)
How big a down payment are we talking? Half? You are looking at about another conservative 10 grand to get it roadworthy. If you get a new chassis add another 5. Good luck with all that.

Not a bad idea. Send David a return receipt letter and cc the local police department. Tell him you are coming down with a trailer to pick up your property plus what ever parts needed to make your shit whole.

lordhelemt January 22nd, 2015 03:39 PM

You've been waiting 2yrs and nada. What makes you think anything will change. Cut your losses and get your truck.

After you have your truck file a complaint with the state licensing board. Then take legal action.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.